Federal Signal Beacon Ray Model 17 Question

FFKingsford

Nov 22, 2012
United States
Hey guys,

I have the chance to buy two Beacon Ray Model 17's (one red one blue). I was wondering if someone could tell me what is a reasonable price to expect to pay for both of them. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a good deal but not 100% sure what they are worth.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Vintage, options and condition are all key players. Generally speaking, a run of the mill model 17 in good condition with plastic dome is only fetching around $90 these days.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Another consideration is what generation of 17 are these? The original 17s had a narrow dome: originals were glass, later were plastic. By the late '60s Federal switched the 17s to the wider domes and skirts, as on the 174s, etc. Another consideration is type of mount: Permanent, demountable, stanchion, etc.

Skip Goulet said:
Another consideration is what generation of 17 are these? The original 17s had a narrow dome: originals were glass, later were plastic. By the late '60s Federal switched the 17s to the wider domes and skirts, as on the 174s, etc. Another consideration is type of mount: Permanent, demountable, stanchion, etc.

As George Carlin once said, "Au contraire, mon frier!".

In 1961, North Oldham VOLUNTEER Fire Department had an "engine" constructed by the LaGrange Reformatory...a 1961 IH 2 1/2 ton chassis (NON-synchronized 5 speed transmission with 2-speed rear axle), a 500 water tank, Hale 500gpm pump with 4-cylinder engine power, Motorola 2-way radio, Q2A ('50s 3-point base) and a 1st generation Model 17 in the new miracle plastic, Lexan, on the roof. Not class 1 by any stretch of the imagination! But all we had in rural KY, and as my dad used to say, "They never lost a foundation...".

I know they offered plastic domes for a fact as the NOFD Engine one got too close to a working fire shortly after being put into service, and the dome shape was warped. Since it did not interfere with the beacon's rotation, it was never replaced. I think my brother (who was later chief and replaced it with a Dietz 211) still has it.... :)

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Maxim2Eng said:

In 1961, North Oldham VOLUNTEER Fire Department had an "engine" constructed by the LaGrange Reformatory...a 1961 IH 2 1/2 ton chassis (NON-synchronized 5 speed transmission with 2-speed rear axle), a 500 water tank, Hale 500gpm pump with 4-cylinder engine power, Motorola 2-way radio, Q2A ('50s 3-point base) and a 1st generation Model 17 in the new miracle plastic, Lexan, on the roof. Not class 1 by any stretch of the imagination! But all we had in rural KY, and as my dad used to say, "They never lost a foundation...".

I know they offered plastic domes for a fact as the NOFD Engine one got too close to a working fire shortly after being put into service, and the dome shape was warped. Since it did not interfere with the beacon's rotation, it was never replaced. I think my brother (who was later chief and replaced it with a Dietz 211) still has it.... :)

I know that the plastic domes were offered in the early '60s, I've got one! But Federal began marketing the 17 in 1948 with glass domes. I had one of the early models, a very early 17A that was demountable. But it wasn't like the "D" models with threaded stud that went thru the roof and held in place with a big wing nut. These had siren-type brackets attached to the base; and the beacon was lifted off the base if it needed to be removed from the vehicle....usually a hearse/ambulance combo.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Skip Goulet said:
I know that the plastic domes were offered in the early '60s, I've got one! But Federal began marketing the 17 in 1948 with glass domes. I had one of the early models, a very early 17A that was demountable. But it wasn't like the "D" models with threaded stud that went thru the roof and held in place with a big wing nut. These had siren-type brackets attached to the base; and the beacon was lifted off the base if it needed to be removed from the vehicle....usually a hearse/ambulance combo.

The demountable 17 you described is a model 17-B, very rare item as Federal made them for a short period of time in the early 1950's. The 17-B was discontinued and replaced by the 17-D in the late 1950's.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
stansdds said:
The demountable 17 you described is a model 17-B, very rare item as Federal made them for a short period of time in the early 1950's. The 17-B was discontinued and replaced by the 17-D in the late 1950's.

That's nice to know. I never knew about the difference in the model number. Once interesting setup I saw many years was at a funeral home in San Angelo. Their ambulance was a '63 Olds station wagon. It had a red 17-B on top and a Federal 77G doubletone siren mounted behind the grille...vertically! I forgot to mention that the 17-B I had came off a 1952 Superior/Pontiac hearse/ambulance combination that belonged to Ellis Funeral Home here in Midland. That car ended up in the small town of Rankin, about 50 mi. south of here and was used as the town's ambulance until the mid-70s when they bought their first hightop Suburban ambulance. For some reason Ellis had kept that 17-B that I eventually got. When Rankin ran the old Pontiac it had a Dietz beacon (a 741?) that looks like a junior beacon on top. That car is now in Rankin's museum.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Skip Goulet said:
That's nice to know. I never knew about the difference in the model number. Once interesting setup I saw many years was at a funeral home in San Angelo. Their ambulance was a '63 Olds station wagon. It had a red 17-B on top and a Federal 77G doubletone siren mounted behind the grille...vertically! I forgot to mention that the 17-B I had came off a 1952 Superior/Pontiac hearse/ambulance combination that belonged to Ellis Funeral Home here in Midland. That car ended up in the small town of Rankin, about 50 mi. south of here and was used as the town's ambulance until the mid-70s when they bought their first hightop Suburban ambulance. For some reason Ellis had kept that 17-B that I eventually got. When Rankin ran the old Pontiac it had a Dietz beacon (a 741?) that looks like a junior beacon on top. That car is now in Rankin's museum.

That Dietz would be a 7-61

Highlander

Mar 10, 2012
Newfoundland, Canada
Hi guys,

I don't wish to hijack the thread, but all this talk of the earlier model 17 lights makes me ask if anyone here knows if there is a supplier of the smaller sized domes for those early lights. I've got a couple of these lights, but all have the domes broken.

Thanks.

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Maxim2Eng said:

You got to snag it! :D

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Skip Goulet said:

Photos of course! ;)

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Highlander said:
Hi guys,

I don't wish to hijack the thread, but all this talk of the earlier model 17 lights makes me ask if anyone here knows if there is a supplier of the smaller sized domes for those early lights. I've got a couple of these lights, but all have the domes broken.

Thanks.

I have a beautiful red one ready to go. PM me.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Highlander said:
Hi guys,

Thanks.

You can bet that the one Dan has available will be nice. I also have a blue and an amber. Both are decent but dusty and are the old style narrow domes.

Sixgun112

Jan 11, 2013
Pickerington, ohio
Just got this one and looking to get a blue or red dome for it..

Let me know if someon has one and for how much.. By the way the amber dome is a 8/10 if soneone needs it..

This model 17 has 3 par-36 beams..

Mm

Skip Goulet said:
You can bet that the one Dan has available will be nice. I also have a blue and an amber. Both are decent but dusty and are the old style narrow domes.
image.jpg

ex416

Apr 28, 2011
West Central Wisconsin
Sixgun112 said:
Just got this one and looking to get a blue or red dome for it..

Let me know if someon has one and for how much.. By the way the amber dome is a 8/10 if soneone needs it..

This model 17 has 3 par-36 beams..

Mm

it appears your 17 is a later model and may take the larger domes.

check w/elb member toyotafan. he may also have some blue ones. he had both listed on ebay recently.

http://elightbars.org/forums/f97/federal-signal-dome-vintage-lights-55752/

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
That is a model 173 and is also the final version produced by Federal Signal. The Series A1 production began late in 1976 and I believe production of the 173 ended in 1982. Around 1980, Federal Signal began using the type 3 motors, the same style used in the early Aerodynics and late TwinSonics. These motors often have a decal on them with a date of manufacture. This 173 definitely has the large diameter dome, 8 3/8 inch diameter measured across the lip on the bottom of the dome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.