Federal Signal classic Vector

Officer_Wolf

Mar 23, 2024
Germany
Good day everyone,

I just got my hands on my favourit lightbar: The Federal Signal Vector and hooked it up.
It seems to be a very old version of the Vector as it has no smart pods at all, its currently controlled by my SM 2000 controller with the white pods working independetly from the rest of the bar. Unfortunatly it is missing the Signal Master and the mounting feet. If anyone has a 44" Signal Master eighter Halogen or LED and is located/can ship to Germany send me a PM :)

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
There are 4 versions of that body style bar. You have the vector, that is the version without any smart functions. The pods can be wired anywhere from independently to all together. The next is the Smart Vector, commonly has 2 smart pods but can be just one. That version does not require any special controller as it is built in the bar. The next in that lightbar body is the Vision. It requires a paired external controller often referred to as the Brain Box. That version, all 7 pods are smart pods and pattern/programming is done through the keypad/brain box. Last is the Vision SL. It is typically a combination of smart rotators and fixed Solaris LED heads.

I know of 3 types of Signalmaster, halogen, 5mm LED and Cuda LED. More may have been made but those are the ones I know of. The Vision has the option to have the Signalmaster controller built in while the others require an external controller.

Last edited:

Officer_Wolf

Mar 23, 2024
Germany
Thanks for your reply Jennifer and the information, i actually knew only of the Vector and Vision and thought that a "normal" vector always has 2 smart pods. Learnd something new right there thanks!
Having a Vision would be awesome but those are super rare here in germany so i though if it would be possible to turn my vector into a smart vector. After opening it up and by my understanding it should? be possible by changing out the mainboard and two of the pods with smart pods is that correct?

Speaking of Signal Master since mine is missing i made another post about that earlier about TA in general, i know that there are some that only work with theyr own controll unit and since my Smart Siren 2000sm is able to controll a TA i wanted to ask if its possible to use something like a code 3 arrowstick/narrowstick with it or if only a Signal Master would work.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
If you can find a Smartpod setup it would be easy to add. There are a few considerations but it is not difficult.

I do not know if the smart siren uses positive or negative switching for the arrow. It should work with any arrow that is electrically isolated. The specs for the Smart Siren arrow functions should be in the manual.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonClampitt

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.