Federal Signal Highlighter LED - who has one? Do you like it?

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
We are working on a stock list for our warehouse, BUT I am slightly concerned about the Highlighter LED minibar. I like the look, but every video I see of one just doesn't seem that impressive. Especially for the cost. I know videos do not do lights justice, but I feel like I could video a Whelen responder and think it was significantly better.

So my question is, who has one, and do you like it? I am mainly interested in AMBER, but I would take input on any. Is it bright? Quality? Flash patterns good?

I also know there is an "Economy" version, and a "Standard" version, so it would be helpful to know which one you have, or if you know the difference in the two.

If we do get them, I plan on doing a good video and review of one, but I am not interested in wasting warehouse space on something that is sub par to the current mini bars on the market.

We got some Impaxx in and CN signal masters which I think are awesome, But again, still concerned about the Highlighter being up to par.

Thanks!

FireMedic19

May 8, 2012
Vermilion, Ohio
A buddy of mine on my department has one, in all red. It's actually very bright, even at distance. I'm very picky about lights, and normally choose Whelen, but I was surprised about this one.

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Firefly Berlin said:
I have a blue standard one and for european approved lights it is pretty good, but compared to a Whelen mini justice or liberty, well, it isn't that bright. ;)

Thanks! I don't think we can compare it to a mini justice or freedom, It is not in the same class. We gotta compare it to a Responder LP. Now if we were talking the MINI Legend, I think we could...

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
We loaned our Highlighter LED (series "A" - the original one) to a dep't a couple years ago. They also had a Responder LP Linear (not the CON3). They tried them both out for about a week - day, evening, night, roadside, highway, etc. They came back and said that most times they couldn't tell a difference. The only time they saw one over the other was at 45 degrees where the HL was superior.

It came down to price. The Whelen guy dropped his pants on price so they bought the Whelen one, but still buy our HLs once in a while. Now, with the Economy HL's, we sell lots more. They are nearly as bright as the full power HL, but the price is much lower.

I haven't put them up against the CON3 version of the Responder, but I suspect that if the full power HL is on par with the Linear version of the Responder, the CON3 won't be as strong.

I know some people have had HLs with water in them, but we have them on zodiacs out in the water (ocean) for years, and have never had any sort of problem with them. We basically get the same weather as Seattle, just FYI. These boats are docked (not trailered and stored) when they are not in use, so the bars are fully exposed to tons of rain and salt water. The newer Series B HL is much better in terms of water intrusion, but again I can't say much to that because even the Series A were fine for us.

We sell a reasonable number of these and they have been very good, solid lights. I can't remember the last time we had one back for a problem.

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
I drive past roadwork vans with the Highlighters on them every day around 2pm heading into the City. In the sunlight, they aren't impressive.

ff.brent20

Nov 1, 2011
Butler, WI
Had one personally, they really aren't much to brag about at all. The patterns I personally think are terrible, and they aren't all that bright. If you want to stock a mini bar with a punch stock the linear responder or the SOS mini pinnacle.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
We have the highlighters on 3 of our engines (above the cab's second row doors and in place of rear upper beacons)...I gotta say, I'm not really impressed with them...one of the reasons is because they are set to a stupid flash pattern to mimic a revolving beacon. However, I have seen a lot of amber/white highlighters with a variety of flash patterns...Their output is okay, but I'd only recommend them on a slow pattern were the entire unit lights up at once. None of the units I've seen in person were the economy ones, so I wouldn't personally bother trying those out.

We've since replaced lighting in those 2 areas with L31 beacons and mini freedoms on our engines & aerials (while our rescues have always had led mini aerodynics on that area)...it's hard to make a fair comparison because they're all totally different than the highlighter, but if I had to go with a lightbar the size of the highlighter, I'd go with the Lin6 responder (I think of it as an economical mini liberty)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.