federal signal j30 powersupply?

Medic1431

May 23, 2010
Lost In Middle America
My uncle just gave me a federal signal j30 powersupply. I have no clue what it connects to. Its all black and has four wires coming out of it, red, black, yellow, brown. Just to see if it works i hooked power to it and it sounded like a defib charging up! Anyone know what its for?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Strobe power supply according to Fed Sig.

I'd say kinda old school.

http://www.fedsig.com/products/docs/lit ... ghtbar.pdf

SSK StreetHawk Directional Strobe Kit;
provides directional strobe capability for

one or two secondary pod locations on

the lightbar. Includes (1) J30 strobe power

supply, (2) reflector assemblies, (2) strobe

bulbs, mounting hardware.

Your "defib" noise is simply since the pack has no strobe to discharge into.

http://www.fedsig.com/products/docs/install/2561055.pdf

A. One J-30 power supply with two directional
strobes requires 5.0 amperes. Two J-30 power

supply with two directional strobes requires

10.0 amperes.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Oh ya, I also do NOT recommend touching ANY of the wires for a good 20 minutes after charging that bad boy.. old strobe PS are notorious for keeping a charge, and having a HELL of a KICK.

I had a Pre emption Tomar PS from the 80's.. thing knocked me on my arse 45 minutes after being removed from power once.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
Red is power, black is ground, yellow goes to one bulb and brown to the other.

On top of the box should be a hole plug about the size of a quarter.

If you remove it, you can see on the board that the unit can be set

to single bulb operation or 2 bulb operation. 2 bulb operation will give

you alternating single flashes.

It uses the bayonet base strobe bulbs.

Pete

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
I believe this power supply was typically meant as an option for folks with the Jet series bars, per Pete's remarks regarding the bayonet style bulbs. IMO, not one of the greatest performing products from FS.

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
unlisted said:
Oh ya, I also do NOT recommend touching ANY of the wires for a good 20 minutes after charging that bad boy.. old strobe PS are notorious for keeping a charge, and having a HELL of a KICK.

I had a Pre emption Tomar PS from the 80's.. thing knocked me on my arse 45 minutes after being removed from power once.

Is that the one i gave you by chance? lol good thing i didnt mess with it! will that D&R you gave me do that to me?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Richard P said:
Is that the one i gave you by chance? lol good thing i didnt mess with it! will that D&R you gave me do that to me?
Hehehe.. no comment.

Just be careful if you power that sucker up, and don't discharge the capacitors fully into a strobe. Wait a good while before touching the wire ends on the strobe output. :p

Medic1431

May 23, 2010
Lost In Middle America
It lit my uncle up once and he said it didnt want it anymore lol. He said he has some kind of small lightbar somewhere that it went to. I know i charged it and layed it off to the side in a box so it couldn't attack anyone. So each wire goes to one strobe? how does that work?

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
I've got a bunch of the J30's that were pulled from StreetHawks. They had the bayonet strobe bulbs in the lower

lights. The reflectors were grounded and the J30 wire went the the hot wire of the reflector.

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3441_3973087872_a517c9959d.png

Pete

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.