Federal Signal Model 044

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Wow that looks gorgeous!!! :drooling:   Great job on the resto! :thumbsup:   Thanks for the video! :popcorn:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Great job on that restoration!

Very gret job, Sascha.

I find it very interesting that it is a beacon but only with flashing bulbs. No rotating thing.

What is the mainly use of a FS 044?
Several beacon manufacturers made beacons like this.  They were generally not used on police, fire, ems equipment, but could be found on maintenance vehicles such as pickup trucks and dump trucks.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Great job on that restoration!

Several beacon manufacturers made beacons like this.  They were generally not used on police, fire, ems equipment, but could be found on maintenance vehicles such as pickup trucks and dump trucks.

Yep!

Here's 2 of my Canadian counterpart from Dominion Automotive:

Eventos

May 31, 2019
United States
Hi. I have one of those myself. I have replaced the flasher as the old one was broken, but the new one does not want to initiate the flashing, so the bulbs are just solid. Do you happen to know what I may have done wrong?

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
What kind of flasher was the old one (537 tube flasher ?) and what type is the replacement flasher?
And what power supply do you use?
For period correctness, go with the 537 flasher. For a consistent alternating flash rate, use a Tridon EL13A-1.

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
Hi. I have one of those myself. I have replaced the flasher as the old one was broken, but the new one does not want to initiate the flashing, so the bulbs are just solid. Do you happen to know what I may have done wrong?
I have had more than one brand new flasher that was bad- didn’t work at all. Try a different flasher.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
So you would recommend me buying a new 537 or another flasher? If so, what kind of flasher?
I would go with a Federal FA-3 alternating flasher or a Tridon EL13A-1 alt flasher. You won't be able to use the original can flasher holder, but at least you'll have a good working flasher to show off the beacon.

Eventos

May 31, 2019
United States
Hello again. I have now tried two Tridon EL13A-1 flashers on the beacon. The first one lit up and the beacon alternated approximately 10 times. I disconnected the power and when I hooked up the power source again, nothing happened. I thought that the relay died, so I purchased a new one. I wired it up today, but nothing happens when I connect the 12v source to it. Am I doing anything wrong? I tried the relay on my Streethawk alley lights, but nothing happened there either.

I wired it like this: X= 12V DC in. P= One side of the lamp. L: The other side of the lamp

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.