Federal Signal Model 14 blue

Lyle

Oct 28, 2012
Maine
smokin351 said:
Wow! Very nice!

If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to polish the base and lamps?

:iagree:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
NPS Ranger said:
Looks better than factory!

That it does! Other than mirrors, Federal never spent the effort to polish the internals of their lights.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
flahotrod said:
Turned it into a beauty. Blue domes and clear domes with colored bulbs are my favorite versions.

I had a Dietz 211-WW, their hill light beacon. It came with a clear dome and red/clear bulbs, and it made its rounds among some of my ambulances over the years. I got it from a guy who exited the ambulance business and sold off the emergency equipment. I got his Q and the Dietz beacon. I first used the Dietz light on our 1965 Olds VistaCruiser ambulance. It went on that little Vista "hump" towards the back of the wagon. What was nice was that you could see it from the front as well as the rear, since it sat up just a bit; and it's a good thing you could. One night we were transporting from the local MotoX races. Up front the ambulance had a Q siren flanked by four DoRay lollipops. Coming out of the race track grounds we hit a bump in the road. That bump jarred something on the alternating flasher that powered the lollipops, blowing a fuse. So we made the entire run to the ER with just that nice, bright beacon as the only warning light for that run. Many years later we had that some light on top of a hightop Suburban ambulance; but this time with clear bulbs and a blue dome. One night I was running on a fire call with my VFD out in the county, and suddenly found myself in front of one of our engines. Without knowing it until someone hollered at me on the radio, we lost that blue dome, so it was all-clear coming from that light, and it was blinding the guys behind me. Downside was that I couldn't kill the beacon because on that truck, the beacon, front lollipops and rear tunnels were all on one switch. :suicide:

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Skip Goulet said:
I had a Dietz 211-WW, their hill light beacon. It came with a clear dome and red/clear bulbs, and it made its rounds among some of my ambulances over the years. I got it from a guy who exited the ambulance business and sold off the emergency equipment. I got his Q and the Dietz beacon. I first used the Dietz light on our 1965 Olds VistaCruiser ambulance. It went on that little Vista "hump" towards the back of the wagon. What was nice was that you could see it from the front as well as the rear, since it sat up just a bit; and it's a good thing you could. One night we were transporting from the local MotoX races. Up front the ambulance had a Q siren flanked by four DoRay lollipops. Coming out of the race track grounds we hit a bump in the road. That bump jarred something on the alternating flasher that powered the lollipops, blowing a fuse. So we made the entire run to the ER with just that nice, bright beacon as the only warning light for that run. Many years later we had that some light on top of a hightop Suburban ambulance; but this time with clear bulbs and a blue dome. One night I was running on a fire call with my VFD out in the county, and suddenly found myself in front of one of our engines. Without knowing it until someone hollered at me on the radio, we lost that blue dome, so it was all-clear coming from that light, and it was blinding the guys behind me. Downside was that I couldn't kill the beacon because on that truck, the beacon, front lollipops and rear tunnels were all on one switch. :suicide:
Skip if you wrote an actual book, I would read it! :D

Todd

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wigwam700 said:
Skip if you wrote an actual book, I would read it! :D
Todd

You're not the first to suggest it; and I have done a good deal of free-lance writing over the years, especially for the newsletter for PCI: Professional Cars Internat'l.

I started to do one about ambulance history in West Texas, but didn't get far. Sitting down and writing was no problem: I'm perfectly well at home on a keyboard. But the cost of getting such a work published was absolutely ridiculous. So now it's on a backshelf for the moment.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Skip, as I understand it, electronic publishing is little to no cost. You should look into it.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
stansdds said:
Skip, as I understand it, electronic publishing is little to no cost. You should look into it.

That part might be o.k., but you still have to have a publisher, and that's where the cost is. I was actually approached by the people who publish one of the EMS magazines that has run a couple of my articles over the years, but it was just too costly.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Skip Goulet said:
That part might be o.k., but you still have to have a publisher, and that's where the cost is. I was actually approached by the people who publish one of the EMS magazines that has run a couple of my articles over the years, but it was just too costly.

Check this site for publishing your work.

https://www.smashwords.com/

And I'm sure there are plenty of other sites that offer free publishing.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
stansdds said:
Check this site for publishing your work.

https://www.smashwords.com/

And I'm sure there are plenty of other sites that offer free publishing.

Thanks. Interesting site, and may be just what I need. I've sent them an email to see what I can do, since I don't have my own computer. My time on this thing is limited to two hours a day; but what I had started is on a flash drive. Maybe that'll work!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.