Federal Signal Model 140?

rescue161

Feb 7, 2017
Hubert, NC
I have an old Federal Signal light which I thought was a Model 14, but cleaning it up today, I noticed that it actually reads "140." Was that a typo? Finding out that it is in very bad shape with a cracked base and worn out bushings on the motor gear. I cleaned it up as best as I could and I'm waiting on a new dome. It had a Stratolite 77 dome on it and it is cracked up the side.

Attachments

• FS Model 140 Band.jpg
    FS Model 140 Band.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 32

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I found some information from @stansdds that seems to confirm my assumption, here:

Most 14's had 35 watt 4416 bulbs, but the 37.5 watt 7600 quartz halogen bulb came with the model 14Q. I agree, 60 watt bulbs are brighter, but also much hotter. As for melting the dome, I don't know. Fed Sig used the 60 watt bulbs in the 312 Titan, which used the same plastic dome as the 174-176 Beacon Ray.

Reactions: rescue161

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I have an old Federal Signal light which I thought was a Model 14, but cleaning it up today, I noticed that it actually reads "140." Was that a typo? Finding out that it is in very bad shape with a cracked base and worn out bushings on the motor gear. I cleaned it up as best as I could and I'm waiting on a new dome. It had a Stratolite 77 dome on it and it is cracked up the side.

That retaining band goes to a Model 14 Series B, which had a black, plastic base. It is a 14Q, which indicates it shipped with quartz halogen bulbs instead of incandescent bulbs.

rescue161

Feb 7, 2017
Hubert, NC
Yep. This one has a black base. It originally had an amber dome, but I put a red Stratolite dome on it back in the early 90s. The local dealer did not have any FS domes, so we tried the Stratolite 77 and it fit. After a lot of PCS moves, it got pretty beat up. It's in rough condition, but it works good enough for my game room. I have a new F2 dome on the way, so it'll at least be back to original.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.