Federal Signal Model 17-Please help with date of manufacture

Sgt. Rep

Feb 17, 2017
Michigan
Picked this up on eBay for $55, could anyone help with the date of manufacture or any other background information on it? It runs, obviously needs some new seals and a good solder on the crack in the base. Thanks!

FED.jpg FED 0.jpg

Reactions: NVFD612

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Still got a good deal on it. That skirt is going to need some serious TLC but any Model 17 for less than $100 is a good buy. 'Fraid I can't help you with the age but I know a few people here know how to pinpoint its manufacturing date via the serial number.

Reactions: Sgt. Rep

Sgt. Rep

Feb 17, 2017
Michigan
Doing some homework, they changed their name to "Federal sign and signal corporation" in 1956, and in 1958 they moved to Blue Island, IL from Chicago. Since mine says "Federal sign and signal corporation" and "Chicago, Il", I am going to assume it is a 1956-1958 manufacture date?

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
There is a difficulty in dating these before 1969 with 100% accuracy. Starting in 1969 the serial number changed from 2N to 2R or 2P and the whole year was put at the end. Example: 2R16A69

From 1955 until 1969 there seems to be little to go by as far as how they were numbered. So 2N16G7 could be 57 or 67. In my index I have a 1N16G7 that was made in Chicago and and that would put it before 1955 but after 1948 so the 7 makes no sense as for a date code.

The first number is voltage
1=6v
2=12v
3=18v
4=24v

The second number is believed to be the dome color but it's not clear which is which..... but this is a possibility:

P-Blue?
R - RED?
N -Clear?
A- Amber?

16 means Model 17 (go figure? Federal had no rhyme or reason for model numbers)

In some it is thought the next letter code is for the month then the last number is the year, but that is questionable. Sometimes there is a final letter at the end for a special order. for example 1R16A69P

Even Federal has no clue as to the meaning of their serial numbers.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
The de facto expert here is stansdds when it comes to Federal Signal serial number decoding. I've begged and pleaded with him a few times over the years to write down everything that he knows, lest he gets hit by a bus or something, god forbid.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The de facto expert here is stansdds when it comes to Federal Signal serial number decoding. I've begged and pleaded with him a few times over the years to write down everything that he knows, lest he gets hit by a bus or something, god forbid.
Your wish is my command! Stay tuned.

Sgt. Rep

Feb 17, 2017
Michigan
Still got a good deal on it. That skirt is going to need some serious TLC but any Model 17 for less than $100 is a good buy. 'Fraid I can't help you with the age but I know a few people here know how to pinpoint its manufacturing date via the serial number.
Dome shined up quite well after scrubbing with some wet aluminum foil. Still gotta fix up that crack though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.