LAS VEGAS NV. USA
SaschaUE said:
Today i finished my Federal Signal Model 175 Hill Light

new gasket kit, new base chrome and all parts cleaned and polished

Outstanding job! One of my favorites. :thumbsup:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Very nice work! The 175 was one of my favorite beacons from Federal. I had a nice 1965 Pontiac Consort ambulance that we put into service in 1976. It came with no lights at all. So we put a pair of 175s on the front corners with a center-mounted Q and a pair of red DoRay lollipops between the siren and front beacons, and then added a nice blue Dietz 211-WW (their hill light) behind the Q.

Made for a nice light show. But the first two times (on the same afternoon) that we had to run in that Pontiac, our lights shut down totally on both runs. Turns out that someone had changed out the original 55-amp factory alternator for a 35-amp stock alternator. Too light for the load. So it was quickly replaced with a 65-amp alternator and we never had a problem again. And we got a lot of ooohs and ahhhs with the light display. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Very beautiful, nice job!!! Hope to get my hands on one someday/really soon possibly!! :thumbsup:

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Skip Goulet said:
Very nice work! The 175 was one of my favorite beacons from Federal. I had a nice 1965 Pontiac Consort ambulance that we put into service in 1976. It came with no lights at all. So we put a pair of 175s on the front corners with a center-mounted Q and a pair of red DoRay lollipops between the siren and front beacons, and then added a nice blue Dietz 211-WW (their hill light) behind the Q.

Made for a nice light show. But the first two times (on the same afternoon) that we had to run in that Pontiac, our lights shut down totally on both runs. Turns out that someone had changed out the original 55-amp factory alternator for a 35-amp stock alternator. Too light for the load. So it was quickly replaced with a 65-amp alternator and we never had a problem again. And he got a lot of ooohs and ahhhs with the light display. :p

Skip more like too much light for the load! :D :yes: :haha:

Todd

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Ya did right by her, she's a magnificent piece!! :thumbsup: :hail: :thumbsup: :hail: :D

Todd

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wigwam700 said:
Skip more like too much light for the load! :D :yes: :haha:
Todd

That much load on a 35-amp alternator....you're right. But before we got that car, AID Ambulance had a '67 lwb Pontiac ambulance that had a pair of 174s and four DoRay lollipops on the roof and a Q fender-mounted. I drove that car, and it only had the factory 55-amp. alternator, and it didn't have a problem. So you could see my surprise with that Consort. :p ....more like shock! :eek:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Captain4164 said:
Thanks Dan, Ill keep that in mind when I get to mine:thumbsup:

Nick: You can use a SPDT switch when you wire it up. That way you can run the reds alone. You can also "freeze" the clears with the bottom-facing bulb where it can be used as a takedown. The Odessa PD did that with their 175s back in the mid-60s.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.