Federal Signal PA300 Mods

Roofsopen19

Nov 29, 2015
New York
Good Afternoon,

My question is in regard to the notorious & highly demanded FDNY Spec Federal Signal PA300. I own 2 and would consider opening one up for a look around depending on the input of this thread.

It's 2020...I'm sure someone has had to of tinkered with this unit by now. Does anyone have any experience modifying resistors/capacitors (or whatever the appropriate part is) of a stock PA300 to create or duplicate this desired output tone (FDNY Spec)?

Looking forward to some interesting discussion.

Thank You.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Based on the the available documentation and my experience, the FDNY PA300 is a 200W version, with variable resistor R57 set for a higher pitch range (1,800 Hz peak instead of 1,575 Hz) and no connection at the Hi-Lo position of the function switch. That's all, folks!

Roofsopen19

Nov 29, 2015
New York
Interesting. Thank you for sharing this. My next question is...can resistors be swapped out or modified to “colon” or reenact this desired tone?

Aug 25, 2016
NYC
Based on the the available documentation and my experience, the FDNY PA300 is a 200W version, with variable resistor R57 set for a higher pitch range (1,800 Hz peak instead of 1,575 Hz) and no connection at the Hi-Lo position of the function switch. That's all, folks!

Weirdly I think mine might be 100W, not sure though because I always run it through a couple of resistors so I test it in indoors

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Isn't the wail cycle a little longer on wind up with a shorter wind down than the standard PA300?

Last edited:
Reactions: Christian Garcia

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I don't think I ever got to hear one. FDNY always runs their sirens in manual mode.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.