Federal Signal Q2B into a bumper install

wfd67

May 25, 2010
San Francisco area, CA
Tried the search and got nothin, and the Federal install doc was hazy to my novice read.

We've got a 83 Pierce with the "v" base for a bumper mount Q2B, but not the budget to go retail (and with ELB and eBay, why go retail.). The V very much appears to be the factory's clone to the Q-MT bracket I saw on the FedSig site.

Most of the Qs I see are pedestal mount on the used market (again, novice here), and not sure if thats a whole different body, or just something lurking under the pedestal and easily accessed.

Anyone with insights? I'd hate to buy and find myself with a shelf ornament, or end up with the vaguely worded "flush" mount sirens (one like that on eBay right now) that lack the bits to attach it into that V mount.

Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
I don't think it correct however at the plant in Ocala they mounted Q's by 4 countersunk flat head type screws (after drilling and counter sinking tool) through the rear of the stator. 5/16" I believe. I do not think there's any difference in the Q2b pedestal vs. flush product as they would regularly remove pedestal and rear cone and semi flush mount them into CS900's and other engines. The cones always got used eventually when one would get damaged on line on the ped. mounted ones. If you have a V bracket I would use it. Anybody in group from Riverside Cali? We built many Ford CS800 for them before they were discontinued by Ford. I think they got the last ones. Maybe they could tell me if these sirens fell out or failed otherwise.

:|

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
....looks like it may be one of those I mentioned. (For what it's worth I have purchased from that seller before and was satisfied with his products.) Does your V mount have two 5/16" holes about 1" apart in one wing? These would be the mounting holes for bolts into motor case. Be careful of the length bolts you use as damage to motor will occur if too long. Check available depth with a chopstick or similar and do not approach/exceed that depth with your bolt lengths. Otherwise, if siren is well supported by V bracket maybe a large U bolt clamp or even good quality worm gear hose clamps would hold it down*. Also if you get this one you will need to consider covering that brake or deleting it and covering the motor's brush windows with some metal and a hose clamp or the correct clamp, any Fed distributor should be able to source the correct covers. Also we used a large (6ish" diameter by 1/2'' stock) rubber O ring between stator and surface to seal and dress up the transition and reduce dissimilar metals/paint contact.

*Whatever you do to mount that siren will likely also be carrying the ground current to the motor. Just some tips as I have installed a few in my day.

Durrr! I just reread your post and see now you are looking for bumper mounting not semi flush? I'm an idiot. Nvm all above cause I don't dare delete it.

:bonk:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
wfd67 said:
Tried the search and got nothin, and the Federal install doc was hazy to my novice read.

We've got a 83 Pierce with the "v" base for a bumper mount Q2B, but not the budget to go retail (and with ELB and eBay, why go retail.). The V very much appears to be the factory's clone to the Q-MT bracket I saw on the FedSig site.

Most of the Qs I see are pedestal mount on the used market (again, novice here), and not sure if thats a whole different body, or just something lurking under the pedestal and easily accessed.

Anyone with insights? I'd hate to buy and find myself with a shelf ornament, or end up with the vaguely worded "flush" mount sirens (one like that on eBay right now) that lack the bits to attach it into that V mount.

Thanks all!

Check with Kevin O'Connell at B&M Sirens in L.A. (B&M Siren Mfg, home of Super-Chief and Siro-Drift Sirens). He has flush and semi-flush mounts,etc., for his Super Chief sirens. Since the motor sizes aer somewhat similar, he might be able to fix you up. And at the same time, he might talk you into a Super Chief. He puts on siren demos that show how the Super Chiefs beat Qs hands down! There should be a contact phone number on the site; I don't remember it at the moment.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
A pedestal mount Q should fit your V shaped "Bumper mount". Here is a homebrew bracket I made up about 25 years ago. Notice the offset of the mounting holes from side to side. The Federal bumper bracket uses a slotted hole to accommodate the offset holes in the motor case. Cannot remember why I drilled 4 holes, only 2 are used. Also enclosed a picture of a pedestal mount on a vintage Q I rebuilt a few years back.

IMG_20130506_163005.jpg

IMG_20130506_163025.jpg

RebuiltQback.jpg

Qmotormount.jpg

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Torpedo said:
I don't think it correct however at the plant in Ocala they mounted Q's by 4 countersunk flat head type screws (after drilling and counter sinking tool) through the rear of the stator. 5/16" I believe. I do not think there's any difference in the Q2b pedestal vs. flush product as they would regularly remove pedestal and rear cone and semi flush mount them into CS900's and other engines. The cones always got used eventually when one would get damaged on line on the ped. mounted ones. If you have a V bracket I would use it. Anybody in group from Riverside Cali? We built many Ford CS800 for them before they were discontinued by Ford. I think they got the last ones. Maybe they could tell me if these sirens fell out or failed otherwise.

I live right around the corner from there.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
wfd67 said:

Thanks all!
you got pictures of the "V" base you have?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Henry455 said:
A pedestal mount Q should fit your V shaped "Bumper mount". Here is a homebrew bracket I made up about 25 years ago. Notice the offset of the mounting holes from side to side. The Federal bumper bracket uses a slotted hole to accommodate the offset holes in the motor case. Cannot remember why I drilled 4 holes, only 2 are used. Also enclosed a picture of a pedestal mount on a vintage Q I rebuilt a few years back.

Wow, that siren looks strange w/o the rotor guard and grille, Tim! Did you say this is a restoration you did?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Henry455 said:
Yes Skip, it was a 1960's vintage siren but with a late model grill. A few more pics:

Ohhhh that siren is gorgeous, Tim! Good job. That one reminds me of my first Q that I bought from Henderson Funeral Home in Lubbock for $35 in 1972. It went on my '63 Consort ambulance. It had the 3-bolt bracket like this one. In ' 73 I bought a '61 Olds ambulance that had originally belonged to Henderson, to replace the Consort. The Olds already had a 77GB on top behind the beacon. But I decided to replace it with my Q. Much to my surpise, when we pulled the 77G, there was the 3-bolt pattern in the roof. My Q had originally been on that car. Henderson had kept the siren when they sold it to the small town where I bought the car and had put the 77 on it for them to have a decent siren. I love the way that Q sounds. Good job.

wfd67

May 25, 2010
San Francisco area, CA
Thanks all -- I somewhat guessed that the body wouldn't be materially different, and the discussion and photos seem to confirm the hunch.

The initial post noted bumper mount, but I edited to reflect its indeed a flush mount into the body (and through the bumper, hence my mis-speaking).

I haven't done one of these mounts yet, but a buddy did on his Beck Ottawa after modifying a bumper mount, and managed to have the damn thing shake loose on the interstate, leaving a trail of Q parts in its wake. (He never managed to recover enough to repair it.)

ERIC6913 said:
you got pictures of the "V" base you have?

Ill go snap a few of the mount when I get back to the rig this evening. Its a fixed widget of two metal bars that form the cradle (in the V shape minus the lower point of a V). If we end up getting our hands on a pedestal with a siren purchase, I'll drop you a note... last thing I need these days are more parts sitting on the shelf unused.

wfd67

May 25, 2010
San Francisco area, CA
Torpedo said:
... Anybody in group from Riverside Cali? We built many Ford CS800 for them before they were discontinued by Ford. I think they got the last ones. Maybe they could tell me if these sirens fell out or failed otherwise.

I'll ask around; I'm on the other end of the state, but know of a guy in Riverside County with a fire service background and may know such things. I've not heard of anything during my travels down there, though frankly dont see many E-One rigs there these days. (Heavy into KME and HME builds over the last 5-10 years, and the few older pieces I have seen were Q-less -- somewhat tragic, really; our Cyclone was also built without and we got lazy and went the e-Q2B route on it.)

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I've managed to locate the missing images from this thread:

73163_31824c8f041968429a70508ca8494578.jpg

73164_f1ae648534aeba95ad17b7563d0248a1.jpg

73165_e04e566cb15aa1ec5836fa42c0af71a1.jpg

73166_bd69905afc6daee37f132a673f6bf70f.jpg

73197_45acd4303a3516572eecbde56db1cbea.jpg

73198_28e1f7323bf53b7a003469afc0944757.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.