Federal Signal serial interface module J1 pin out

fbueller

Sep 17, 2012
Glasgow Va
Does anyone have the pinout of the Federal Signal serial interface module? I found the abbreviated manual that has the harness color codes and what the do, but I'm building the harness from scratch so I don't have the color codes as a reference. A picture of the connector would be helpful also. 

thanks

Steve

Mlody11113

Jun 17, 2020
Poland
Hi friend thank you for your work. This document ist available on google with no problem. Module ist correct and documents not have pinout for j1.

DaveClement

Jan 23, 2019
Lynnwood, WA
I'm sorry that I wasn't able to help. To be honest, I didn't look very closely. I just copied over what I already had in my saved documents folder. I was thinking that they had the pinout, but in looking more closely, I see that they don't.

That seemed strange, because I distinctly remember seeing the pinout. I know that I have because I took one of the wiring harnesses and labeled every connection with the function so that I could use it for testing. I realize now that it may have come from a paper copy that came with a new interface that I had. I will try to find that and post a scan of it.

DaveClement

Jan 23, 2019
Lynnwood, WA
I found the printed manual that I used to label my wiring harness. It was the same as the 2562248H REV. H0 0115 document that I attached earlier. Thinking back, I believe that what I did was to go through and label each wire function according to the color codes that were listed in that document. The manual diagram does NOT list them in the correct pinout order.

If it would be helpful, I would be glad to use my cable to document the pinouts, wire colors and functions so that it all makes sense. I'd also be glad to take photos of the connectors, but it is very hard to see the color codes on the wires even when they are right in front of you. I doubt that a picture would convey them properly. In many cases the secondary colors on the wires are very faint and you have to examine the wires very closely over a few inches to see the secondary colors. As I remember, I had to go through each wire one by one and use the process of elimination to make sure that each color is accounted for properly. Let me know if you would like to document them for you.

I have both the metal and the plastic versions of the serial interface modules, and as far as I know, they have the same wiring and are functionally identical and interchangeable. The wire colors appear to be identical on both of the cables that came with the metal and plastic versions that I have, although the newer ones seem brighter and a bit easier to read.

DaveClement

Jan 23, 2019
Lynnwood, WA
I'm going to document this for anyone else that might be viewing this thread, perhaps at a later date. The 24 pin connector is numbered as follows when looking at the connector on the serial interface with the release tab on the top, or when looking at the BACK of the plug with the release tab on the top. The bottom row has pin 1 is on the lower right corner with pin 12 on the lower left corner. The top row is pin 13 on the upper right corner and pin 24 on the upper left corner. If you look closely under a magnifying glass, the numbers are molded into the plastic, and there is a triangular arrow indicating pin 1.

1 Black/White, Ground 2

2 White/Black/Red, Low Power

3 Orange/Red Right Alley

4 Red/Black, Flash Takedown/Alley

5 Orange/Black, Rear Cutoff/Enable

6 Red/White, Steady Burn

7 Blue/White, Mode 2

8 White/Red, Fast [or external Signalmaster 8 (right)]

9 Blue/Red, Signalmaster Warn 3 [or external Signalmaster 6]

10 Orange/Green, Signalmaster Warn 1 [or external Signalmaster 4]

11 Green, Signalmaster Center [or external signalmaster 2]

12 White, Ignition Power

13 Black, Ground 1

14 Black/White/Red Test (or Scene light right with switch configuration)

15 White/Black, Takedown

16 Green/Black, Left Alley

17 Blue/Black, Intersection (or Scene light left with switch configuration)

18 Green/White, Front Cutoff/Enable

19 Black/Red, Mode 3

20 Blue, Mode 1

21 Red/Green, Signalmaster Warn 4 [or external Signalmaster 7]

22 Orange, Signalmaster Warn 2 [or external Signalmaster 5]

23 Green/Black/White Signalmaster Right [or external Signalmaster 3]

24 Red, Signalmaster Left [or external Signalmaster 1(left)]

Mlody11113

Jun 17, 2020
Poland
Thank you very much for your time and effort
you are great. if you accept, I will send you a good bottle for your work straight from Poland

DaveClement

Jan 23, 2019
Lynnwood, WA
Thank you. I have gained a lot from what others have posted and this seemed like something that I could do to help. I appreciate your very generous offer, but instead, I would just ask that you pay it forward whenever you can.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.