Federal Signal TM4 Panel Lights

OPD1222

Jan 30, 2019
OK
Long time reader... new member.

Need some advice, tried a search already without luck and do not want to bother the sole Touchmaster tech at Fed Sig. Apologize if post is a bit long but I want to provide as much info as possible to save others effort.

Have a Fed Sig Touchmaster TM4. Not a Delta. Everything is plugged in, power wires, ignition etc and works fine.

But the panel is not lit making it hard to see at night. With the Delta, the panel lights were activated by just connecting the ignition wire supplied by the siren box to the vehicle ignition wire, but not so with the TM4.

I've already read the manual and it says Terminal 1 "Lites" is to be hooked to the dash light wire from the headlight lamp switch.

This however would require quite a bit of dash digging.

My unit already has an installed ignition wire to run to siren boxes.

Question is... how can I do this without running a wire to the fuse panel or splicing Into the dash light wire, wherever that may be buried in my 2016 Charger.

I'm thinking I could run a 16g wire from the Terminal 1 Lites connection on the TM4 into the already supplied ignition wire which connects to the ignition wire coming from the TM4... but I dont want to fry anything.

Any help would be appreciated because my only other thought was to buy a single led light, place it inside the TM4 and then wire it to power somehow.

Thanks in advance!

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
You can connect Terminal 1 to your existing ignition-switched source without issue. The only real drawback is that the backlighting operates at full intensity, as it is not connected to the application's instrument panel dimmer.

OPD1222

Jan 30, 2019
OK
You can connect Terminal 1 to your existing ignition-switched source without issue. The only real drawback is that the backlighting operates at full intensity, as it is not connected to the application's instrument panel dimmer.

Awesome! Appreciate it man! I work days mostly so night work is only a few hours usually end of shift so I'll easily deal with full intensity brightness as opposed to finding switches in the dark

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.