Wanted Federal Signal Vector Oscillating Center Pods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Wonderful

Dec 20, 2019
Portland, Maine USA
In search of some Federal Signal Vector center pods. The oscillating searchlight I guess would be best to describe it. Tired of paying top dollar for the whole bar. I dont mind paying $400 for the whole thing, that's a good deal, but freight shipping usually doubles the price, and for a hobbyist/restoration guy, that's insane. I am going to start making my own Vector bars with whatever shape I please, with the number of pods I decided to slap into place. If anyone has any oscillating searchlight pods kicking around, let me know what you've got

Thanks guys!

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Have you considered a smart pod setup? The control board has the option to only run 1 pod for center use. That way you could have 3 options like oscillate, flash, rotate as well as steady options.

Reactions: DLBFalcon

Mr. Wonderful

Dec 20, 2019
Portland, Maine USA
I dont care for anything with the word "smart" being involved, and dont like LED. Everything LED looks like Fisher-price slapped it together. I want to build my own custom vector bars with parts from the original production of the series. All mechanical & electricity, no chips or any unnecessary b.s. My custom bars will range from 2 to 15 pods each and vary in shape. I want more than one searchlight pod on some of them, but where there were typically only one per bar from the manufacturer, they are seemingly the hardest to find on ebay and such

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I have not heard of standard pods with a search light in them. The smart pods have full 360 beam control. The next closest thing I know of is the 3 fixed reflecors in one pod (front, side, rear).

Sounds like an interesting project.

police-jimmy

May 23, 2010
Netherlands (Europe)
you can go with a few options, when you only want 12v +/- leading to each pod you have the choice : the oscilator (side to side)) same as f.e the Magnabeam ,

it may be possible to build one out of a Euro style rotor that already has a small gear/belt transfer that kinda looks like the magnabeam setup.

Or a TCL (traffic clearing light) also called a Meteor light (very common in all FS lightbars). A code3 oscilaser would prob. also fit.

The searchlight pods (trident) look the same but I believe they are bigger, not sure about that.

Strobe pods are also an option:

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
That's actually my YouTube video above that Police-Jimmy posted for you, the FS oscillating pod. Is that what you're looking for? Some Vector and Smart Vector bars came with those in the center pods. The gear gets brittle over time and breaks. In my video I replaced the brittle/broken gear with a gear I found at (and modified) from HobbyTown USA because Federal Signal doesn't sell a replacement gear! They only sell the full oscillating pod assembly for over $100.00 I found out. (The reason I found gears elsewhere.) When Jennifer Rose mentions the "oscillating" in smart pods, the smart pods do the same thing as the light is doing in my video above, going back and forth. (The other smart pods features will let the light do alley light functions, takedowns, wig-wags, etc. all in the same pod.) When the person told you, "Traffic Clearing Light" most of the traffic clearings lights go left to right, but at the same time they sort of wobble and go up and down, too, like this one in a video I will post below. (Another one of my videos.) If you watch this video, towards the end it shows your the beam of light going up/down/left/right. I hope this clears things up and helps you find what you're searching for!

Reactions: police-jimmy

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
Here's the email I received from Federal Signal when I was trying to find replacement oscillating gears for the oscillating pods. (They still sell domes according to this email, too.) The price for an oscillating pod is actually $143.00.

You might be able to find the traffic clearing lights, from time to time, on here or places like EBay. I got mine from EBay.

Email copy/paste:

We still sell the oscillating assembly. We do not just sell the gears themselves. It’s part number V-OSCK.

V-OSCK

$143.00 LIST

DOMES

Z8572001A – CLEAR

$30.00 LIST

Z8572001A-01 – RED

$30.00 LIST

Z8572001A-02 – AMBER

$30.00 LIST

Z8572001A-03 – BLUE

$30.00 LIST

Z8572001A-04 – GREEN

$55.00 LIST

Michelle Smolka | Sr. Customer Support Representative – Work Truck/Heavy Duty

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
Might be easier to find the TCL for sale on here. There's a guy on EBay that has 10 of them for sale, supposedly NOS, but he wants $200.00 each!

• Wow
Reactions: Tony P

Mr. Wonderful

Dec 20, 2019
Portland, Maine USA
Thanks for the replies! Some very helpful information for me to work with. The parts list with numbers for lenses was awesome, been looking for green domes, and thanks to that being provided by one of you, I managed to find a supplier who still has them in stock. The worm gear is in stock there too. I found the Oscillating kit for about $95 but I think I am going to try cheaper used parts from other bars and see what I can Jerry rig and make fit in the domes. Will share my work within the next few weeks.
The reason I am after the oscillators instead of the 360 rotation is I am restoring a late 80s tiller fire truck and want to plaster the thing with vector domes, ( I want more lights than actual truck, 25,000 pounds of lights on wheels) but dont want to be blinded while sitting on my throne at the rear of the truck, and I really like the way those things rock back and forth and up and down. That looks cool. Blackout inserts just add to the costs and are pretty lame.
I know its probably a waste of time asking, but does anyone know where I can find C.I.E. blue domes?

Ps. Those are some great videos, I've watched them 60 times each in the last month lmao

Reactions: DLBFalcon

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
The gear I mentioned that gets hot/brittle and breaks over time isn't the worm gear though, it's the gear with the metal arm in it. (I haven't had a worm gear break yet. The worm gears are the ones actually on the motor shaft.) That gear (with the pivot holes in it for the metal arm) is hard to find/replace so that's the one I bought/modified from HobbyTown USA. The funny part, the gears from HobbyTown were meant to be used in RC cars, but I found one the right size and drlled a pivot hole in it and it worked. I think the oscillating gears/pods will be fairly hard to find unfortunately, especially if you want a lot of them. I've only seen one here and there, not very often. Who knows though, someone may see this who has a stockpile of them. (I'd like to buy some extra gears for the little metal arm myself for the ones I have.)

If you want "straight forward" lights only, they make the stationary lights. Of course, you can wire those up as "steady burn" or you can wire up flashers to them so they blink/flash. If you want to use Vector pods you could use the stationary takedown/flasher reflectors they had, but don't see a lot of them for sale either. (Or smart pods like Jennifer mentioned maybe because you can set them for forward light only. The smart pods oscillate, flash or just stay on steady depending on which setting you choose.)

If you can't find enough of the TCL's, Oscillating pods or enough stationary reflectors for your project you could "cheat" a little bit if you had to....
If you used a motorized pod, position the reflector in it in the direction you wanted it to point/show light then wire the light only to turn on and leave the motor unpowered so it wouldn't spin and shine at you. See what I mean?? (The reflector might move a little over time and need readjusted this way though from vibration, etc.) There's two wires for power, one is for the light and one for the motor. With the motor attached in place with the gears you can turn the worm gear, by hand, to where you want to point the reflector. Then when you wire it up only wire the light to come on, not the motor. It "should" more or less stay in that position then if you turn the light on it'll have light, but the reflector won't spin since you shut the motor off. Then if you wanted to adjust the "aim" you can take the pod dome off, turn the worm gear a little with your finger and put the dome back on. There's so many options, just depends on what you decide to do and the parts you can find that work for you.

I sure talk a lot. It would be neat to see it when you finish the project. Have a good night!

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.