Federal Signal Vision Bar Issue

djames

Jan 24, 2020
California
Hi,

Have a vision bar where the smart pods will not move. Have verified the controllers are the same versions, checked the cables, and tested for power at the pods. Nothing seems to make them move. The lights all come on but the pods will not move to either spin or alley positions. On start up they start to move a little but do not really move like they should. Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Detailed info of your setup could help. Very common remedies relate to power and connections. First, make sure the bar has enough voltage and available amperage. If you are running off a car battery, make sure the battery is good and that it has a full charge. Second, make sure your electrical connections are clean and tight (along with using proper sized wire). This includes connections inside the bar. Loose or corroded connections will cause issues with this bar. Try starting with that and let us know how it goes.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
What Jen said, also, the pods should spin around once when you first power up the bar to "home" themselves. That bar is very finicky when it comes to power. Also try another cat 5 and RJ-45 cable.

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
I'm trying not to jump the gun and go too fast. Do you have any pictures you can post or email? Have you taken the triangle shaped cover off the light bar to look inside? How many circuit boards are in there? There are fuses both inside the control box "brain" and inside the light bar cover on circuit boards are. If you take the cover off you can make sure there's probably 3 circuit boards (if it has traffic director), all the wires are plugged in to the circuit boards, the fuses are good and that there are no melted wires or even burned/blackened circuit boards. (I've seen circuit boards in these burn black/melt stuff.) Start with the easy stuff...visually inspect everything for starters. Do the pods have the home sensors installed or did someone remove them for parts? Rotator stepper motors need to be plugged in. You said they start to move a little bit then stop...if you turn one of the reflectors by hand does it turn smoothly or does it turn in little bitty steps/bumpy feeling? (I've found bad stepper motors before.) When you power up, what does the controller do, does it flash a bunch of lights and beep a lot? A couple of pictures would be helpful and I'm sure everyone on this site can help. They've helped me over the years! I'm sure we all can figure this out.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdh

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.