Federal Siren Help

plybeep68

Aug 29, 2011
Jonesborough TN
Ok first of all i have no clue on the difference in all of the federal sirens other than what i have read here on this forum. What siren would be period correct for a 1969 police car?? I have read on here that different series have pitches that vary according to year that they were made. I have a couple of Federal Director's, clueless if they are right as i haven't even tested them. I know with all the knowledge you guy's have someone will steer me in the right direction.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Sirenman said:
It isn't a siren unless it has a motor and a rotor. All else are glorified peanut whistles.
John Dorgan

John, maybe all electronic sirens sound alike to you, but not to my ears. A late 1960s Federal Director or Interceptor does not sound anything like the 1970s versions. The circuitry and siren tones in the 1960s models are completely different from the 1970s models.

Sirenman

May 25, 2010
Tucson, AZ USA
I didn't say that they all sounded the same, just that they all were peanut whistles when compared to a large electro-mechaniical siren such as the B&M SC8 or the Federal Q. Ask the operator who has had experience with an electronic and then had the good fortune to use a mechanical. They'll tell you that there is NOTHING that moves traffic as well. This horse has been beaten to death in other forums and publications and I won't belabor it further. The result is always the same. There is no audible device that moves traffic better than a large electro-mechanical siren

John Dorgan

Wailer said:
John, maybe all electronic sirens sound alike to you, but not to my ears. A late 1960s Federal Director or Interceptor does not sound anything like the 1970s versions. The circuitry and siren tones in the 1960s models are completely different from the 1970s models.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Sirenman said:
I didn't say that they all sounded the same, just that they all were peanut whistles when compared to a large electro-mechaniical siren such as the B&M SC8 or the Federal Q. Ask the operator who has had experience with an electronic and then had the good fortune to use a mechanical. They'll tell you that there is NOTHING that moves traffic as well. This horse has been beaten to death in other forums and publications and I won't belabor it further. The result is always the same. There is no audible device that moves traffic better than a large electro-mechanical siren
John Dorgan

But should all 1960s vehicle restorations require mechanical sirens? The original poster wants to use an electronic siren for his restoration.

To plybeep68 I say a PA15 Director (with wail, yelp and alert tones) or a PA15A Director (serial number beginning with 1B, 1C, or 1D) would be suitable for a 1969 police car restoration.

But avoid PA15A Directors with serial numbers beginning with 1E. Series 1E is a 1970s model. 1E is the version with high-pitched wail and yelp tones.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.