Federal Visibar wiring

oldtrooper

Apr 5, 2011
united states/virginia
I'm new here and have a question. I recently acquired a Visibar and can't figure all of the wiring. Each of the rotating light assemblies have a electric motor mounted for powering the rotator. (I read about a chain on one of the forums but this bar does not seem to have one). Does anyone have a wiring diagram or can anyone walk me through wiring the lights????

Also want to power these via some sort of 120V to 12V convertor as I want to mount these lights on a wall in my garage, any hints there?

I sure appreciate any assistance in this.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
Your Visibar has 2 model 14 beacons mounted to it. The beacons are grounded thru the bar and each should have a power a wire from the stud that connects to the motor and copper plates.

oldtrooper

Apr 5, 2011
united states/virginia
I noticed that one of the units has a larger motor than the other. Does this mean I should run the primary power to this light then run a "feeder" wire over to the smaller light? I'm using stranded 12 gauge wire the wire that is in the bar now is brown and somewhat brittle. I am going to replace it with the new wire and hope for the best! Could anyone tell me approximately how many amps this old jewel is going to use? I'm going to go the inverter route and would like a recommendation on what to buy.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
oldtrooper said:
I noticed that one of the units has a larger motor than the other. Does this mean I should run the primary power to this light then run a "feeder" wire over to the smaller light? I'm using stranded 12 gauge wire the wire that is in the bar now is brown and somewhat brittle. I am going to replace it with the new wire and hope for the best! Could anyone tell me approximately how many amps this old jewel is going to use? I'm going to go the inverter route and would like a recommendation on what to buy.

My guess would be one of the lights has been replaced with one of a different era, but Ryan would know best on that. I don't think it will matter which one you run "primary" power to, so long as the wire is large enough to run both lights and fused appropriately.

I'd have to guess on amps. I really don't have a solid idea.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
your looking at 20 amps + - 2 amps. you can run both wires in 12ga. no issues, If your going to power both from 1 circuit, I'd do 10ga. to one and feed 12 to the other.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.