FedSig Twinsonic 12X clean up/restore

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Finally finding time to work on the stack of projects in the garage. Been on a Fedsig kick lately (Aerodynic done, this, and now working on a mini Vector) before moving on to other things.

This is only the 2nd 'Sonic I've ever had hands on. This had been sitting on a shelf (along with my recent Aerodynic) for some time so the domes were dirty but no cracks or crazing with only a couple of scratches, cleaned/polished the domes (very minor yellowing) and good to go. I was fortunate enough to find this in decent mechanical shape. No tangled chains, or broken anything, only problem was a shifted motor, which didn't allow the worm gear to engage the tooth gear completely. It would do about a 3/4 turn then would slip. Remounted the motor and problem solved. A little lithium grease and it settled in just fine. While cleaning the interior up I was surprised to find it has 4 60w PAR36 bulbs not 35's., the white stands out well, and the blue almost looks like its cloudy/frosted. Wired up 3ft of 10ga to the + and - terminals and ran them out to the battery and works great.....pics and video......

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Very nice, looks like a mix-master of twinsonic parts. Full Cast holders, Plastic speaker tray, and a type 3 motor. I'm curious to see what the tags read on the end caps.

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
What’s not to like. I remember the PD in the town I grew up in had Model 12s with red domes. The bought a new 12X with clear domes and red/white bulbs. It even had the par36 alternating Adam 12 lights cut into the grill.

Reactions: Sparky_911

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Squale....that's how it came to me. I was gonna swap it reds on driver, b/w pass but I'm leaving it.

Valkyrie.....the tags are marked 12A1 with SAE-W3-71. So its definitely a bit of a frankenbar. Parts appear to be all sonic but from different years ranging from '71-'83? Total guess.

Coop.....all I did was wipe it out with a damp cloth. The domes took some prying to get off so I'd guess it hadn't been opened it years. The rubber seals aren't even crumbling.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Your 2 best friends in cleaning up lightbars are Simple Green and WD-40. Pair those with a toothbrush, rags, and set of brushes (nylon and wire) and you can clean up most bars.

@Sparky_911 your guess is probably spot on, as far as I can tell it went through a rebuild at some point. It doesn't detract from the bar in the slightest and the only people who catch these things are the nuts found on elb.. lol

Reactions: Sparky_911

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I have everything you listed except for WD and simple Green. In place of those I have a degreaser called Purple Power and for fixing squeaks I have the old trusty 3n1 oil, silicone spray and lithium grease.

I've been pretty fortunate in my finds over the years. Maybe 1 or 2 bars that were a complete mess. It's that Midwestern farmers logic....Preventative Maintenance and cleaning keeps things running forever. Most of the stuff I find comes from rural departments run by the local farmers, or auctions also run by local farmers.

Reactions: tsquale

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.