FedSig Valor Help

k.mo

Nov 3, 2017
Minneapolis
Looking for help: (Posted on FB)

Two weeks ago, I left for a trip. Turned off the breaker powering my Valor.
One week ago, returned from trip. Turned breaker back on to Valor. Works.
Today, turn breaker off to adjust lighting in the home, go to turn Valor on and nothing. The green light inside the bar is blinking as per usual so I know the bar is getting power.
The 6-button FS Slide is no longer powering. Tried hooking directly to SIM and nothing.
Could CAT5 be the problem? Something else?

Thanks in advance!

Additionally, all other bars on the breaker, are fully functioning. All of them 911EP.

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
I'm not sure if this guy on YouTube can help you or not, but might give it a try? (I've never worked on a Valor, but I'm curious about this issue, too, now that I see your post.) His video is about programming the Valor, but in the comments section he's answering technical/help questions, too. Just a thought. His YouTube channel is: rjracing38. (Some comments are about the controllers.) Maybe you could ask/comment there and see what he suggests? One response was he bought a controller that had stopped working and had to get it repaired. Not saying that's what going on, but maybe he has an idea/suggestion? Here's the link to his video:

Reactions: k.mo

k.mo

Nov 3, 2017
Minneapolis
So I ended up digging into the whole bar.
Unplugged every light head
Unplugged all the harnesses
reset the main controller

all to know fruition

turned over the main controller board and found that the central brain of the bar had a nasty short on it.

Had to buy a replacement controller (~$200). Plugged it in, nothing. Thought “Damn”.
Went through the brain reset function and Back in the saddle.

Not sure what caused the short, because it’s effectively running off of the same power it would if it were mounted to a car. And the short that occurred on the board was in a unique place. (I’ll post pics of the board)

thanks for the reply!

Reactions: DLBFalcon

k.mo

Nov 3, 2017
Minneapolis
Photos attached.

Attachments

• 0D895C51-CBC8-4DE8-8798-79FBDC564ACE.jpeg
    0D895C51-CBC8-4DE8-8798-79FBDC564ACE.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 45
  • C6573474-6917-413F-9544-F2D24A23729E.jpeg
    C6573474-6917-413F-9544-F2D24A23729E.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 45

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
Trying to tell what that was...a diode (maybe) that fried? Looks like some sort of surface mount electrical component, but can't really tell what it was? Does it look like you could replace that part by soldering in a new one? Or, I wonder if it'd just be easier to replace the board and keep that board for parts for future possible issues?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
PTC1 probably indicates Positive Thermal Coefficient, a kind of resettable circuit breaker. However, that may refer only to the apparently undamaged component adjacent the scorch. Perhaps someone with access to a Valor could take a photo of their board to help.

Reactions: k.mo and DLBFalcon

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
I've tried finding a picture of the board online and so far no luck, but I'll keep looking. Usually I can find pictures on the internet to look at but not having much luck. If I find one I'll be sure to post it.

Last edited:

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
I went to Federal Signal's website and found these replacement parts, listed below (the entire board). I also sent them an email asking if they could tell me what the component that burned up was (included your picture) or send me a picture of a "new" board. Those boards aren't cheap, so hopefully everyone can figure out something! Again, I'm still trying to find a picture of a board so maybe we can tell what that component was. Copy/paste below for what the part prices said:

2 Parts found for "Z2005653A"

• PCBA,CTRL,VALR Z2005653A $281.00
  • PCBA,CTRL,STT,VALR-INTG Z2005653A-1 $284.00

Last edited:
Reactions: k.mo and jlofties

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
Well, no real luck from Federal Signal either. I asked for a picture of the board or if they could tell me what component fried and this is his copy/paste response (no picture):

(So, I'm still trying to find a picture.)

Douglas,

We replace the board. If you have a S.O./sales order from the bar I can check warranty.

Regards
KEVIN BEITLER SR. l Service Application Technician

Federal Signal Technical Support
2645 Federal Signal Drive | University Park, IL 60484
<td>
1-800-433-9132 | 1- 708-534-3400 |​
td><td>td><td>
Social Media
td><td>td>
Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:00 am - 5:00 pm CST

Federal Signal text

Last edited:

k.mo

Nov 3, 2017
Minneapolis
Wow.
Thanks for the support.
I’ll take what I can from here and call a local up-fitter to see what they can tell me or what they have on hand to replace.

If I’m lucky they’ll have a board.
I’ll post next steps when completed.

Kevin

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
You are welcome and sounds good! Hopefully someone has the board where you can get it up and running again! (I'd hang on to the board you have and keep it for parts.) I'll have to check back and see how things are going!

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
That's almost certainly a ferrite bead. This is corroborated by the L identifier. The spectacular way in which yours failed probably indicates that some other component has also failed.

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
Sorry, but I pulled the board from a working bar just for the photos. The chip is completely unmarked, so someone else with more knowledge about smd chips would have to chime in.
Thank you for helping out and taking pictures for him, pretty cool of you! I hope he's able to find another board or get his fixed.

k.mo

Nov 3, 2017
Minneapolis
Hey all!! Long time, but I found a board from the local FedSig rep. Not sure how I got it out the door for the price I did, but got it installed and reset the controller and we are back in action!!

thank you all for checking in and for the photos, helped me get the right dialogue going with the fed sig rep and a local up fitter who had one around.

I do have the blown board if anyone thinks they’re handy enough to take on the project!

k.mo

Reactions: Dave F

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.