Feniex AM600 comparison

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
All comments and thoughts expressed here are my own opinion and this is not a paid endorsement for product mentioned.

This is a quick initial thoughts review. The Feniex AM600 beacon is a medium sized beacon that would work well on fire/ems apparatus or a POV.

Light arrived in a white box with the Feniex logos and info on it (think like their bags whi/blk print, just in box form). Info was clearly printed on the side as to what was in the box. Upon opening there was a layer of white open cell foam on top and bottom of the beacon to hold it in place. Light lens was wrapped in pallet style saran wrap to prevent scratches during transport. Side of the box had the wiring info for direct wire, but no other obvious installation or operation instructions. Operation straight forward, plug in ciggie plug and switch on. To change pattern press the momentary switch on ciggie plug.

Dimensional info: 5 inches across at the top, almost 6 at base. Height just over 4.5 inches. Weight felt correct for it's size. 15 feet of very flexible cable that had an almost "zilla hose/cord" feel, pliable yet durable. As a comparison, It's bigger than a Whelen L50 series but not as big as the Code 3 Arch. If I had to guess I'd say its as wide as Whelen L32 but taller?? Would be a great roof throw light or rear upper zone mount (or pole) on an apparatus for sure. I put it on the dash of my '17 GMC 2500 and it was almost too big to fit. Wish I had a Dashlaser to compare it to.

In the comparison video I used an old Whelen Cadet and a Viviox Adonis C12M (direct rip-off of the Whelen L51) to help visualize how big this thing is. In the video you see that the AM600 puts out a substantial amount of light in a tall footprint. The housing is very well sealed against the elements (see their chamber 9 video yet?) and I could not figure out how to get the dome off without compromising weatherproofing integrity. It appears that there are stacks of 4 LEDs arranged in a circle of about 8-10 stacks. The fluted optics on the lens made it difficult to be exact on that. The pattern it created reminded me of a widelux style, bright when looked at, yet floods the area floor to ceiling with light. This creates a pattern with no dim/weak spots regardles of angle or height.

Pics and video sometimes speak better than words. See attached. I will also be uploading a pattern video soon.

20181105_073606.jpg20181105_073553.jpg20181105_080837.jpg20181105_080927.jpg20181105_081033.jpg20181105_081039.jpg20181105_081921.jpg

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Thanks. I couldn't find the review forum. Thanks for moving it. I'll update after some actual usage. Forgot to mention that the blue is deep blue not 'teal'.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Correct. Regardless of height the Feniex beacon retains the same brightness. The Viviox has a "sweet spot" that if you are too high or low it's effectiveness is diminished.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Does the Viviox bright spot get larger with distance?

It does not. The Feniex beacon keeps its output the same no matter what angle or distance (within reason) the viewer sees it at. It also appears that the flashing patterns are more effective in either beacon vs. the simulated rotator patterns.

Reactions: Tony P

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Uploaded video of the flash patterns here and to the Feniex beacon thread.

Reactions: OliverD

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.