Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
only for the interior bar.

ryan_turner

Nov 16, 2015
Memphis, TN
My surface mount fusions shipped today; I got a pair in 40 degree dual color and a pair in 180 degree single color. I'll likely receive them on Monday and will post pics and video of them installed Monday night.

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
I received mine in also and tried to see if they will work of an external flasher. Unfortunately they do not work correctly on a flasher. They have the momentary delay in power up much like the newer cannons. I tried both a ULF44 and the Feniex flasher with same results. Other than that they are awesome.

What type of patterns were you using?

I'm trying to find a 100% answer to my question to know whether to order about a dozen of them. I'm not wanting very fast and crazy patterns. I'm planning to use the FedSig SSP2K flasher which only does single flash at different speeds. With the amount of lights I plan to have combined with the rural/small suburban area I cover, I doubt they will ever be flashing fast at all. Have you tried very slow synced patterns? Or will they not work properly at all regardless of the speed? Tom seemed to give me a different answer on the phone.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
If it's the same firmware as the cannons you can use them on slower patterns but the amount of on time is not going to be the same.

I'm still waiting for our stocking order to come in so I can't say for sure.

That said they have a bunch of single flash patterns on them if that is all you are looking for

EastSide279

Apr 11, 2013
CT
What type of patterns were you using?

I'm trying to find a 100% answer to my question to know whether to order about a dozen of them. I'm not wanting very fast and crazy patterns. I'm planning to use the FedSig SSP2K flasher which only does single flash at different speeds. With the amount of lights I plan to have combined with the rural/small suburban area I cover, I doubt they will ever be flashing fast at all. Have you tried very slow synced patterns? Or will they not work properly at all regardless of the speed? Tom seemed to give me a different answer on the phone.
A very slow single flash pattern will work but with a bit less on time just like FEVER said. I tried signal alert pattern as well as a quad flash off a ulf44 which the light missed the first two flashes and just did a double flash.

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
A very slow single flash pattern will work but with a bit less on time just like FEVER said. I tried signal alert pattern as well as a quad flash off a ulf44 which the light missed the first two flashes and just did a double flash.

Dammit... Why does Feniex have to go screwing up such basic features and requests. Not everyone has or uses ALL Feniex lighting, and want to sync other brand lights... That may be the deciding factor of me finding other light heads to use. WTG Feniex...

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Dammit... Why does Feniex have to go screwing up such basic features and requests. Not everyone has or uses ALL Feniex lighting, and want to sync other brand lights... That may be the deciding factor of me finding other light heads to use. WTG Feniex...

I said the exact same thing and with the exception of utilizing their light sticks I have ceased using their products because of sync issues.

No one company has a product that best fills every requirement in the emergency warning industry. Being capable of mixing/matching products from a variety of manufacturers to upfit a vehicle into an emergency response platform is necessary to provide warning unique to its intended use. Unfortunately Feniex has engineered themselves into a corner...

Just thinking out loud here. If it's been addressed I apologize.

The Feniex flashers have a sync wire to network multiple flashers together. I wonder if you have the same flash pattern going on a Feniex light head and the Feniex flasher if you can connect the sync wires from the light head and flasher together resulting in the brand X lights connected to the flasher being in sync with the standalone Feniex light heads.

Yes this would limit you to Feniex flash patterns only however if your goal is just to have all your lights synced together than goal accomplished. Well that is if it would work.

Since the Feniex flasher has three modes it stands to reason that the firmware is either similar to if not identical to the three mode Cannons.

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
Well, my goal was to have 3-mode perimeter lighting, all synced.
Mode 1: blue slow, Mode 2: blue faster, Mode 3: white override.
Fusions only have 2 modes. That's where I want to do mode 1 steady burn blue and run it off of a flasher with multiple modes, mode 2 steady burn white for the flood. Plus I could sync a few other brand light heads.
But it looks like I'll be searching for a different route unless Feniex decides to update their firmware.
Is Feniex watching this?

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
If you want to sync everything using an external flasher(s) use Dummy heads. The 2 color Dummy's run about as much as the surface mount. I wish they were cheaper. A dummy head is basically want comes in the sticks and ILB. Someone correct me is I am wrong. My truck and trailer are all dummy heads and its all synced up.

Reactions: Flashguy

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Not sure they will even make the surface mounts in the dummy module with the sealed units. I'd have to check. The sticks might be your only option. That said, the entire bar will have to have power and ground the entire time because the modules are basically going to be powered the same way as the Apollo series was.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Not sure they will even make the surface mounts in the dummy module with the sealed units. I'd have to check. The sticks might be your only option. That said, the entire bar will have to have power and ground the entire time because the modules are basically going to be powered the same way as the Apollo series was.

I am not sure about surface mounts. A friend had an interior only one. They mount a little differently. And with that particular dummy head he had to give it full time power, ground then the two modes. You are correct.

Too bad they don't make a dummy 3 mode Cannon.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
For those who want a side by side comparison. Here's the best I could do on my phone camera. Compared is a Fusion 40 and a 2014 T6 blue, without the revised optics. The other is a 2016 Apollo blue vs the Fusion 180. Both the Fusions are blue/white, but I only have single colored Apollos to test at the moment. I'll give my thoughts after the pictures.

T6 vs 40 degree Fusion / Blue Only
ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e344_Cave_ranam_20160819_170841.jpg

T6 vs 40 degree Fusion / Blue Only
ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e344_Cave_ranam_20160819_170842.jpg

Apollo vs 180 degree Fusion / Blue Only
ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e344_Cave_ranam_533c255d_0139_4cb5_8bb7_89832b189188.jpg

Apollo vs 180 degree Fusion / Blue Only
ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e344_Cave_ranam_4c7408ad_912c_4122_b9f4_68725f07c2a1.jpg

Apollo vs 180 degree Fusion - Off Axis / Blue Only
ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e344_Cave_ranam_20160819_171246.jpg

Apollo vs 180 degree Fusion - Off Axis / Blue Only
ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e344_Cave_ranam_20160819_171247.jpg

Thoughts T6 vs 40 degree Fusion:
The T6 Cobra seems to fill out the entire lens just a bit better, however this really makes no difference once you stand back a few feet. They appear to be just about the same brightness, if not the Fusion is just a tad brighter. Its hard to tell. This may be due to how the leds are mounted on the board, making room for 2 sets of leds per TIR optic. However, on single color Fusion 40's, I'm not sure how they mount the led, so I don't know if it changes how it looks. Does this make it bad? Absolutely not. And with the Fusion offering dual color dual mode, that definitely adds a great value with TIR optics.

Thoughts Apollo vs 180 degree Fusion:
The new optics make all the difference. Feniex took the frosted section out of the hour glass and made it clear and it seems to have made the Fusion better. It's hard to capture on camera, but the Fusion does look great in direct sun light and holds its own against the cobra at distance. Off axis appears to be better too, with the frosted center removed, as I noticed stronger/brighter light coming from the center as I moved to extreme angles. Better than the original Apollo. However, on the flip side, the original Apollo seems to fill the whole housing with light just a smidgen better than the Fusion 180. This, I believe is due to the removal of the frosted center. This only really shows when at the full 180 and is very minor. That is my opinion as my eyes see it. The Fusion 180 doesn't perform bad by any means and this is just my subjective opinion. Also, I feel that the dimensions of the Apollo vs Fusion 180 also have their place too. Being that the Apollo is shorter in length, if can fit some places the Fusion 180 can't. So the Apollo still has it's place in emergency vehicle lighting placement.

Thoughts 40 degree fusion vs 180 degree Fusion:
In direct sunlight from a distance at eye height, they almost appear to be the same brightness, but the 40 degree optic nudges it out by just a hair in brightness. However where the 180 shines is when you start moving off axis the 180 degree optic appears to maintain most of it brightness until you get to extreme angles. As its designed to do, it has fantastic off axis abilities. (Kind of a "duh" statement, I know) The Fusion 40 definitely loses is punch, as do all TIR's when you get to 45 degrees and more. However, when you get all the way to the side, you do have some off axis warning with this new style housing. But, obviously not as good at the Fusion 180.

Thoughts on the dual colored fusions:
I love them and plan on replacing my Cobra ILB, Cobra 800 and Cobra 200's on my vehicle with dual colored Fusion 40's. I think they were definitely needed and I look forward to using them more.
I would like them to sell a dummy module so I can use an amber Fusion 180 on my tow mirrors at run/turn signal or the just make Fusion line capable of being run by a flasher.

Gripes:
*** I have not tested with a flasher yet, I'm going off of what people have said who have tested *** As many have expressed, I feel that it was a mistake for Feniex to not make them external flasher compatible like the the the 1st gen cannons, the T6's and T3's. Most manufacturers make their lights flasher compatible because some people like to mix and match light heads and brands. And again as most people have expressed, revised flash patterns. Quad flash, Signal Alert, Action Flash etc, or similar patterns should be available out of the box. The simple, single, double triple flashes are great, but add a bit of creativity to the flash patterns.
I'd also love to see them go to a tri-mode and tri-color. I'm sure its coming down the pipeline, but it can't come soon enough.

Overall:
I love the new line. It has its downfalls in some places, but what light head doesn't? I think the pros outweigh the cons for this new line. I look forward to using and installing the Fusion series of lights.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I just meant to post a quick comparison and went off in a tangent review. Hope this helps people who are thinking about getting into the Fusion line.

** These are just my thoughts and opinions. Your mileage may vary... **

LinTir

Jun 7, 2016
Germany
Great review!
But how is it possible that the 180° optics has nearly the the same brightness as the 40°?
I wanted to buy a Fusion 1X Dual Color Dash with 40° optics.
After i read your review i think about to buy the 180° optics.
Damn it.
Now i don't know what to do......

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Thanks! Remember, my review is subjective. It could just be how I see it and I couldn't pick it up on camera. The cameras really don't do these lights justice. The Fusion 40 is brighter, but to my eyes, they were both seemed close in brightness when I walked away to about 20 or so feet. However, a 40 degree TIR optic will be visible a much longer range down the road compaired to the 180 optic. Either one has there own merits for where they need to be used. On my pov, I have the Cobra ILB and dual colored Apollo's for the brush guard front and use them on the sides for intersection visibility. For your application, I would determine, do you need long range visibility or shorter but wider visibility. And if you're going to use it through tint though, go Fusion 40. It'll punch through tint better. Hope this helps.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Not sure if it's not as bright, rather the optics are different. More direct vs spread.

^^What he said. TIR optics are a more focused light, tight beam, long distance and appear brighter direct in front of. The 180 optics are more like a flood light, large spread, short distance. Both the 180/40 light heads are identical with the exception of the optics.

CEVS

Jun 1, 2010
NJ
I just wondering why don't they make the 180° lights as bright as the 40°

Not sure if it's not as bright, rather the optics are different. More direct vs spread.

^^What he said. TIR optics are a more focused light, tight beam, long distance and appear brighter direct in front of. The 180 optics are more like a flood light, large spread, short distance. Both the 180/40 light heads are identical with the exception of the optics.

Like said it is the difference in the focus of the optics. The 40 focuses the lights in a narrower lattern, therefore it alpears brighter. The 180 spreads the light across the entire 180 degress, so it may look not as bright head on but it has light coverage along the 180 degrees.

Reactions: bullfrog4ever

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Like said it is the difference in the focus of the optics. The 40 focuses the lights in a narrower lattern, therefore it alpears brighter. The 180 spreads the light across the entire 180 degress, so it may look not as bright head on but it has light coverage along the 180 degrees.

I guess one way to explain it would be like a LED flashlight with an adjustable beam. Widen out the beam and it doesn't throw the beam of light as far. That would be like changing the optics in a sense.

Reactions: Chris W

em2436

Nov 26, 2014
NY
When people do night time videos why do they have to stand so close? Video is pointless. But the flood mode looks cool.
I would have posted this in a fail thread if it wasnt one of the only installs out there currently. But the part that impressed me the most was the flood. I honestly didnt think that the 40 degree optics would actually have a good enough focus to do anything real for distance lighting.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
White light to rear...grrr.

We have installed a couple handfuls of the lights and the 40 degree optic is just SILLY bright. I'm comparing them to FedSig micropulse and Impaxx6 lights, too. As the name implies, after about 40-45 degrees they drop off significantly.

I tried the 180 optic and have not been that impressed. First of all, they are not 180 degrees (not like a MPSW9 "wide angle" micropulse that is a TRUE 180 degree light). The overall intensity is quite a bit less than the 40, which is to be expected, of course. Maybe I've just been 'upgraded' by the 40's, but the 180's were quite...meh.

We have a couple Fusion 40 in the sides of a Durango's rear cargo-area windows right now. They blast through that tint pretty handily.

Note that the older "L" brackets for the T6's won't fit the Fusion. You can drill everything out if you want but it's more trouble than it is worth. I still haven't figured out how Feniex numbers their brackets - there is no logic to it and it's really confusing.

I gotta say, though, that Feniex handled the transition really poorly. There was no forewarning at all (at least, not from my rep). We stocked up on T6 brackets and lights and then literally the next day they told us that the Fusion was coming out and the older ones were being discontinued. I wasn't a happy camper.

Also, while the Fusion 40 is noticeably brighter than the T6, it's not a massive, incredible, amazing improvement. People have thrown around numbers like 80% brighter, 30% brighter, etc. I would tend towards the 30% number and that's probably generous. I'm sure they have light meters to prove it but to the human eye it looks maybe 10% brighter. Still, pretty good overall.

The one thing that IS nice though is that both the 40 and 180 are in the same housing now, so Feniex will be able to put them in all kinds of different housings (mirrors, mini-bars, etc) so we can have our choice of power vs. wide angle. Pretty much everything we've been buying is 40 degree optics and customers really like them.

Reactions: CEVS
OK...here's a video of my set up. This truck is used for my part-time landscaping biz. I'm a career firefighter, no response, so no front warning.

40 Degree Fusions. red/amber used with the mini 4200. The ARE shell has tint, not sure what degree. Amber for when I'm on the road parked with my landscaping trailer. Red/amber if I happen to pull up on something and my family is not with me. I've been hit twice now. My insurance company wanted some amber warning since it is used for work, I did not want to put a whacktastic lightbar on my truck. So I did this. This is my daily driver as well.

While these are bright, I think they're on par with the Whelen ION. I made my own brackets. Hideaways are Cannons.

Last edited:

EricTheNerd

Apr 1, 2014
Vermont
Got a set of exterior rated, dual-color dummy modules, foam gaskets, and flanges direct from Feniex last week. Got them installed over the weekend and they are AWESOME! I have them set off a ULF-44 and they keep up with every pattern, including the annoyingly fast ones. As others on here have said, they do indeed need steady power and ground, and then each color activates with its own trigger wire. I have them wired through diodes and relays so that I have red-only mode one, red white on a faster pattern mode two, and then steady burn white override.

Just wanted to let everyone know that they do indeed make exterior-rated dummy modules, and that they will play nice with an external flasher, even in dual-color.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Got a set of exterior rated, dual-color dummy modules, foam gaskets, and flanges direct from Feniex last week. Got them installed over the weekend and they are AWESOME! I have them set off a ULF-44 and they keep up with every pattern, including the annoyingly fast ones. As others on here have said, they do indeed need steady power and ground, and then each color activates with its own trigger wire. I have them wired through diodes and relays so that I have red-only mode one, red white on a faster pattern mode two, and then steady burn white override.

Just wanted to let everyone know that they do indeed make exterior-rated dummy modules, and that they will play nice with an external flasher, even in dual-color.

You just made my night!! Thanks! What was the cost difference between those and the dummy heads? Any chance of a video or pictures of your setup and how you have it wired?

EricTheNerd

Apr 1, 2014
Vermont
I actually had a warranty light break in shipping. Feniex offered me a discount to just replace it with some new product, so I got them a little cheaper than retail. I believe once the flange and foam gasket (which had to be bought separately) were added, there would not be not a lot of savings going with the dummy heads. However, I don't know this for sure.
I do have photos! They came with relatively short wires and a plug (I assume for a lightbar system):
ai.imgur.com_iPfotg2.jpg
ai.imgur.com_qmqzMUA.jpg
I have them on a 10-75 style intersection bracket and I think they're crazy bright.
ai.imgur.com_qFDHMem.jpg
I don't have a video yet because I'm waiting to have a dash light changed over by Wilson, then I'll get a video with the full setup. I ran through all the patterns on my ULF44, and the lights synced perfectly with the cobras and two-wire cannons in my setup. The low-power function and diminished patterns are a little funny, though. They even do steadyalert, something the T3's don't do well.

For wiring, I have the flasher outputting through a bank of relays and diodes. This allows me individual control over the different zones of the vehicle with only one flasher, which allows me to run just red, red/white on a secondary pattern, or override the side lights or takedowns for steady burn white. Since it's all off the same flasher, the entire car is synced. As far as the fusion dummys, I have four trigger wires- one for each red and each white, a single ground for them all, and a constant fused hot from the battery offering constant power.

LinTir

Jun 7, 2016
Germany
Hey guys.
One question.
When i place my Fusion 1X behind the windshield in the right corner directly under the headliner it's very good to see from the right and good to see from the centre.
But barely to recognize from the left, because of the angle and the fact, that the windshield is curved.
I hope you understand what i mean.
I could place it under the rear view mirror, because there's not much space over the mirror.
But i want to have it directly under the headliner.
Is there a possibility to get a better angle?
When i watch videos with unmarked NYPD Impala's they heve the lights in the right corner, under the headliner, too.
But it's way better to see.
But i think they use Whelen Avenger's with LIN optics with a wide angle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.