FENIEX Review - Olympian Siren System

TraFx

Jun 10, 2010
South Carolina
Tra-Fx Review of the Feniex Industries Olympian Siren

Manufacturer URL: www.feniex.com

Product URL: https://www.feniex.com/product.php?prod_id=247

Since becoming a dealer/distributor for Feniex we have been in the process of ordering demo stock and some inventory of their various warning items.

We just got in late this evening our Olympian Siren System. I wanted to get the pics up on the board ASAP so everyone could take a look at them. Once we get a chance to play with it over the next few days we will take some video & more pics to follow up.

One thing I can say about Feniex is that they pack and ship their items very well. Their packaging and handling is top notch. This is our fifth order with them and they have all been some of the best packed I have seen.

We ordered the Olympian Siren with the 200 Watt option. When we ordered, I assumed that the built in amp would be a full 200 watts, alas...it is not. There are two separate amps for the 200 watt version. One included in the Olympian controller and a separate add on 100 watt amp with independent tones, microphone, etc.

I did not understand this to be the case until we had a discussion with our sales rep at Feniex. I am not sure how I feel about this yet. I would have preferred to have the full 200 watts coming out of the Olympian controller without having to mount and power a whole separate siren. That means running another set of speaker wire from the trunk to the grille, more space taken up and more wiring to setup, loom and secure. The plus side is that you can have dual tones running at once such as wail & yelp, etc. I would have preferred to have one tone at 200 watts but I am not going to jump to conclusions until I have had a chance to get it on the car and see how it works.

The control panel is very nice...buttons provide a nice tactile feedback and "click" when pushed and they are backlit by tri-color LEDs. The three pursuit (memory) buttons are fully programmable and each button can be programmed to any or all of the memory positions. There is a hard on/off switch on the bottom right of the control head that controls the power to the controller and the siren amp. There was a full label sheet in the box as well that covers just about any application you may have in your vehicle, however some of the most basic labels like "Dash" and "High/Lo" are not there. We will make sure that they fix that ASAP.

So...thats my first initial review....here are the pics and I will do my best to get some video and more pics up soon.

Olympian_Siren 1.jpg

Olympian_Siren 2.jpg

Olympian_Siren 3.jpg

Olympian_Siren 5.jpg

Olympian_Siren 6.jpg

Olympian_Siren 7.jpg

Olympian_Siren 11.jpg

Olympian_Siren 12.jpg

Olympian_Siren 13.jpg

Olympian_Siren 17.jpg

Olympian_Siren 18.jpg

Olympian_Siren 19.jpg

Olympian_Siren 22.jpg

More to come....check back.

- Tra-Fx Emergency Lights

www.trafxledlights.com

TraFx_Logo.png

norcalbusa

May 23, 2010
California
Why does their logo take up 20% of the control face? Does some sort of option go there and they're just trying to take up the room (for a non optioned unit)?

TraFx

Jun 10, 2010
South Carolina
Not sure why the logo is so big. They could have made it smaller and added some additional buttons there...

We have mounted the siren and I will try to get the tones uploaded later today if I can get some time to grab some clips. The yelp, pierce, ho/lo and horn all sound good but the wail is not impressive, in fact we do not like it at all.

Also...I have noticed that the sound output is low....compared to other sirens we have tested along side it on new speakers. We are working with Feniex on this to figure out exactly what the issue is.

One big plus is the system was easy to program from the keypad and install.

More to come...

rlarose

Mar 30, 2011
Toronto/ Canada
So what do you think about the siren? I think I will carry their products. But they need to get back to me

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
a friend of mine just installed one. He likes it aside from a few quirks...

One is the operation of the Pursuit buttons. One press to activate, but you have to press and hold for several seconds to deactivate, and if you activate or deactivate any options, it'll be remembered the next time you use that pursuit button. So it essentially reprograms that button each time you turn it off.

Also, there were some bugs in the operation, he turned off the unit with the slide switch and one of the outputs was still active. One time he turned on the unit and I think the 3rd pursuit button activated. This would be a big problem during the day as the backlight for the switches isn't that bright.

Overall he likes it, the volume control for the siren is a nice touch. He was able to lower the volume all the way down to a barely audible setting and play with the siren/horn tones in the parking lot. Once the bugs get worked out, it should be a nice controller.

SarTechIII

Dec 14, 2010
Los Ageles, CA
Ok, So have the system installed on my vehicle. Hate the wail tone, but yelp, pierce are nice. Unfortunately, I too am having the issue of the siren tones and especially the PA being very low volume. Another issue that I am having is that the PA is very unreadable. It is hard to understand much of anything said on it.

Currently working with Feniex to find out what the issue is with the PA, they are sending a replacement MIC to find out about it. But we will see.

More to come...

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Hello we need to hear the tones to even consider buying this??? its like showing us a light without turning it on and expecting us to buy it? No tones no consideration of me buying this or even recomending it to anyone!

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
For everyone's information: This version has been discontinued.

dusty

Jan 9, 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
badge22 said:

which is why I have the chance to get one for the price I do. It's my understanding it had an an RF interference issue that couldn't be fixed, it shouldn't however, affect me since I have no plans to mount a radio.

FireMedic129

Jul 19, 2011
Kentucky
badge22 said:
all 3 models have been D/C'd the non-siren, the 100w and the 200w. These units had a bad problem with RF interference. They are great if you dont run a mobile radio!! i am going to be picking some of them up once the liquidation price is set!

FireMedic129

Jul 19, 2011
Kentucky
he is a link to a youtube video of the tones

i am not much on the Wail tone but i think the yelp matched with my powercall will be AWESOME!

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
FireMedic129 said:
all 3 models have been D/C'd the non-siren, the 100w and the 200w. These units had a bad problem with RF interference. They are great if you dont run a mobile radio!! i am going to be picking some of them up once the liquidation price is set!
What was the rf problem? Would the switches change if the radio was keyed up? Anyone try isolating the units?

Anyone currently using this, what were the problems you encountered?

Last edited by a moderator:

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
theroofable said:
What was the rf problem? Would the switches change if the radio was keyed up? Anyone try isolating the units?
Anyone currently using this, what were the problems you encountered?
My system had only had a tiny issue that the speakers would pop, as if activated, when I used my UHF HT1250 next to it. Same with my UHF CDM1550, which had been wired through the Olympian.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.