Feniex Rocker Panel Light Kit

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Love how the car is all blacked out.. minus that chrome spotlight.. Talk about sticking out like a sore thumb!!

(oh and the rocker panels are bright, much better than the hg2 junk)... ;)

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
man those are mighty nice interior lights on headliner brackets :rolleyes: :rolleyes: How can someone say those arn't effective? :) looks great.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Those are impressive. I wish I could afford it. I got my first Feniex products. Cobra 200 dashlight and a Python 600. (through Fever) Everyone is impressed with the output of the Cobra. The only neg I would have to say is the flash patterns. Other then that I would purchase more Feniex products.

To bad the rocker panel light isn't a dual color led. I think it would be great if the entire thing could go from a warning light to a scene light.

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
unlisted said:
Love how the car is all blacked out.. minus that chrome spotlight.. Talk about sticking out like a sore thumb!!

(oh and the rocker panels are bright, much better than the hg2 junk)... ;)

I keep saying I'm going to change the spotlight but never have lol. Car was white when I got it.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
If ever there was a dumb idea for lighting, this is it. I've got a better idea, lets take rope lights and drag them underneath the vehicle so they're right at street level and then NO ONE can see them!

Are Paul Walker and Vin Diesel going to be promoting this new item? :rolleyes:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Solvarex said:
If ever there was a dumb idea for lighting, this is it. I've got a better idea, lets take rope lights and drag them underneath the vehicle so they're rig at street level and NO ONE can see them!

actually this is going to be completely perfect for one patrol car blocking off three lanes of traffic on a major roadway. will they be visible from one car length out? no... but further out than that yes.

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
Solvarex said:
If ever there was a dumb idea for lighting, this is it. I've got a better idea, lets take rope lights and drag them underneath the vehicle so they're right at street level and then NO ONE can see them!

Someone sounds jealous :D

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Solvarex said:

I do agree with the placement of these- especially on a car- May be better on a SUV or raised truck- however, I can already think of a far, far better placement location...

Mounted underneath luggage racks on vans/trucks/suv's for side warning. Would be pretty awesome, and discrete. (I'd probably go with a min pop VS the fully "extreme" populated one... but thats just me)

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
strobecrazy said:
Someone sounds jealous :D

nah... i dont think thats the case. Just dont think we've seen something like this before where there has been TRUE emergency lighting not "covert" lighting in this area.

If anything... look where he is at.. he is probably right for his location... they would always be blocked out by snow :D

unlisted said:
I do agree with the placement of these- especially on a car- May be better on a SUV or raised truck- however, I can already think of a far, far better placement location...

Mounted underneath luggage racks on vans/trucks/suv's for side warning. Would be pretty awesome, and discrete. (I'd probably go with a min pop VS the fully "extreme" populated one... but thats just me)

again with another snowed in canuck. LOL

but... the good thing about theses are they can be mounted roofrail or truck bed rails. Or.... for the top sides of fire trucks...

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Solvarex said:

I am curious why why you think this is a dumb idea?

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
FWIW, the slow patterns look good on it. Plenty of warning and side coverage. From a distance aspect, I would think it would work fairly well if blocking lanes in full perpendicular fashion.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
hitman38367 said:
FWIW, the slow patterns look good on it. Plenty of warning and side coverage. From a distance aspect, I would think it would work fairly well if blocking lanes in full perpendicular fashion.

I agree. If you standing next to the car/truck of course you wont see it. It is meant to be seen from a distance. I wish it wasn't so expensive, otherwise I would get one

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i think theyre actually pretty good. while they may not be great for EVERY scene, i feel like there are plenty of times when this light would be VERY useful, and VERY visible. As i said, its not going to be ideal for closing lanes on a busy interstate, or roads backed up for mile, however they may serve to be very useful in a suburban and definitely a rural setting. There's a bridge in my town that always floods out, and they stick a patrol car there, sideways, to block the road. I think a traffic arrow pattern detouring traffic down the side street, would be very useful. I think its better than just the side of the liberty being visible otherwise. you may not see it miles aways or if you're sitting in traffic, but as you approach the scene and youre the next car up, it shows you clearly where to go.

Also, i think if they were dual color and could double as an EFFECTIVE scene light, that would be cool. but only if they effective as a scene light. I think the whites on the car shown are stupid, and their "added benefit", to me, dont out weigh having the blank spot when they're off. All in all i think these are an good idea, and every variation i see seems to get better. While they may serve better mounted on a Tahoe or some other SUV, i still they they have a place on patrol cars as well.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Eric1249 said:
I am curious why why you think this is a dumb idea?
You mean aside from looking like it belongs on a Honda Civic with a coffee can muffler and bookshelf wing? Where do I begin.

Lighting is supposed to be visible. This puts it as LOW to the ground as possible ensuring that it could be effectively obscured by Little Johnny and his Red Ryder wagon full of newspapers. You will never see it through traffic.

It's on the middle portion of the vehicle which makes it effective only for blocking at right angles, not pursuit or even intersection clearing (because by the time it becomes visible to cross traffic your cruiser is halfway into the intersection). Better lights could be purchased for more conspicuous locations like push bumper, B pillar, prisoner cage, etc.

The arrowstick patterns are cool but personal experience tells me Joe Average doesn't know what the hell it means anyways.

Of course this is all my opinion, worth precisely what you paid for it.

FEVER said:
If anything... look where he is at.. he is probably right for his location... they would always be blocked out by snow :D
Brother, if you only knew....

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Solvarex, where else would you put a bar of that size for the side of a vehicle? On the roof? Are you saying that the side of a lightbar and the minimal intersection warning a patrol vehicle might have is enough for side warning? Would the vehicle be better off with this light, or without it? What's the harm in a unit having the bar installed?

Not trying to be mean, just curious as to your opinion :)

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
unlisted said:

Solvarex said:
You mean aside from looking like it belongs on a Honda Civic with a coffee can muffler and bookshelf wing? Where do I begin.

The alternating colours appear completely disconnected from the rest of the lighting. The reason red and blue go on driver/passenger is to help identify which way the vehicle is facing. Multiple colours on a side defeat that. what about the states that require both colors to be visible from 360 degrees?! If that's one beef thats a setup thing and easily corrected but some states need that visible from every angle to identify leo or fire

Lighting is supposed to be visible. This puts it as LOW to the ground as possible ensuring that it could be effectively obscured by Little Johnny and his Red Ryder wagon full of newspapers. You will never see it through traffic. if "little" johnny is blocking the entire length of the car he needs to be on a treadmill. :eek: lol but... the issue is... a lightbar is not always visible either. What does having an EXTRA angle of light to come from hurt? No it won't always be visible but no one light source TRULY is. This is deemed secondary lighting for a reason and probably is a luxury but lets face it... it can be effective in certain situations.

It's on the middle portion of the vehicle which makes it effective only for blocking at right angles, not pursuit or even intersection clearing (because by the time it becomes visible to cross traffic your cruiser is halfway into the intersection). Better lights could be purchased for more conspicuous locations like push bumper, B pillar, prisoner cage, etc. There have been numerous arguments about this being ideal for a leo to shut down a major roadway by himself. These will be much more effective with a larger footprint then all of the above regardless of where it is mounted (lets not forget roof mounting and truck bed mounting)

The recent talk is about less lights being used more effectively, not millions of lights in a big blur. Officers have been killed by blinded drivers from excessive lights and I feel this ventures into that.

that is why you dim them and/or turn them off in situations where it is detrimental

Of course this is all my opinion, worth precisely what you paid for it.

There is nothing wrong with your opinion. But there are functional applications for this. Is it a benefit to everyone and everything? no Could it be considered a luxury? yes.... but it very easily could help maintain scene safety.

Brother, if you only knew....

Nice try, but no. I've got $4,000 worth of equipment on one of my vehicles alone. Think I'm good.

all in lights?! :eek:

FatherOfFour

Nov 4, 2012
Indiana
Maybe it's just the angle of the video, but it looks like those lights stick out beyond the rocker panel (sideways, I know they hang lower than it) I'd be worried about catching stuff on them. Also, how much ground clearance do you lose with them? I'm wondering how they'd hold up in a pursuit situation ie over a curb, through a median.....

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Eric1249 said:
I believe they are the same thickness of their other lights. Just under an inch

they are the same size but I think he meant that they are sticking out meaning depth. Yeah they probably are sticking out a little bit. i think the mounting location is key with them. They are using the same aluminum chasis as the cobra series.

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
I stuck them out a little bit. Kind of a test thing to see what would work. as far as ground clearance I will bottom out the frame, body mount bolts, crossmembers, ect before hitting them. atleast on a CVPI

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Guess I'm in the minority here but that's okay, can't agree on everything. FEVER you'll notice I recanted some of my arguments after watching the video again. I'm not sold on it placement wise but kudos for using nice slow patterns!

FatherOfFour

Nov 4, 2012
Indiana
Jamey@NNE said:
I stuck them out a little bit. Kind of a test thing to see what would work. as far as ground clearance I will bottom out the frame, body mount bolts, crossmembers, ect before hitting them. atleast on a CVPI

Gotcha, couldn't really tell how far down they were hanging. I wonder if it'd be possible to put them in place of the rocker panel....course, I've never pulled a rocker panel off to see what's in there, but that'd probably look pretty sharp, like a flush mount.....damn now you got me thinking of more ways to spend money lol

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
should have a sync wire... if you had 2 or more cars blocking a lane the lights could work in conjunction...

lights on car 1 flashes first... then car 2s if theres a 3 etc etc. and repeats.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
Jarred J. said:
should have a sync wire... if you had 2 or more cars blocking a lane the lights could work in conjunction...

lights on car 1 flashes first... then car 2s if theres a 3 etc etc. and repeats.

How would that work? Run a wire from Car 1 to Car 2? Now if they made a Bluetooth option....that'd be insane. Think about it, you're driving to a call/parked at a scene, a second car pulls up, your controller pings a notification that there is a bar that you can sync with, and with the push of a button, all your lights are flashing the same. 'Tis the dream...

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
EMT-BLS said:
How would that work? Run a wire from Car 1 to Car 2? Now if they made a Bluetooth option....that'd be insane. Think about it, you're driving to a call/parked at a scene, a second car pulls up, your controller pings a notification that there is a bar that you can sync with, and with the push of a button, all your lights are flashing the same. 'Tis the dream...

That would make for one BIG A$$ Arrowstick...

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
that was my point to make it one big arrowstick.

bluetooth would probaly have to be the route to go becuause officers might forget there is a wire connecting their cars and drive off and leave it hanging.

maybe have a bluetooth button on the controller and it knows when there are other units around, then be smart enough to know which unit it is in relation to whichever vehicle

or make the syncable unit wires a "supervisor issued" item. or make it a flourescent color to make it obvious its there etc etc.

you could have 3 cars set up to block 3 lanes. 4 for 4 and so on.

the first car would flash - - - - - - - - -

then car 2 ............................................ - - - - - - - - - -

car 3................................................................................ - - - - -- - - -- -- - - -

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Sounds like it would require bluetooth and some kind of GPS signal if you don't physically run a wire from car to car...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.