Feniex Storm mods??

PhoenixLightsPSE

Jan 7, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Is anyone here familiar with how to reprogram or replace tones on the Feniex Storm Pro series of siren amps?

I called support since I’m a certified partner reseller, and while the rep confirmed the use of alligator clips connected directly to the internal circuit board for initial programming, including loading the tones, the program and interface cable specs weren’t available for release (even to dealers). Also, the micro USB port on the side is apparently only for testing that the switches and wire terminals are working as they should.

Can anyone shed additional light on this? I’d like to be able to replace some of the audio tones/verbal commands with other customer-supplied tones/sounds that are more relevant to their intended usage.

Disclaimer: I am aware that any modifications like this would void the warranty on the equipment. I have an extra amp I’ve pulled from an install and cannot resell that I would test with.

Additional background: I have over fifteen years of IT experience, including programming, prior to entering this industry, so I’m comfortable working with the tools that would be needed if this request is in fact possible.

brianbri6

Mar 12, 2014
ma
Is anyone here familiar with how to reprogram or replace tones on the Feniex Storm Pro series of siren amps?

I called support since I’m a certified partner reseller, and while the rep confirmed the use of alligator clips connected directly to the internal circuit board for initial programming, including loading the tones, the program and interface cable specs weren’t available for release (even to dealers). Also, the micro USB port on the side is apparently only for testing that the switches and wire terminals are working as they should.

Can anyone shed additional light on this? I’d like to be able to replace some of the audio tones/verbal commands with other customer-supplied tones/sounds that are more relevant to their intended usage.

Disclaimer: I am aware that any modifications like this would void the warranty on the equipment. I have an extra amp I’ve pulled from an install and cannot resell that I would test with.

Additional background: I have over fifteen years of IT experience, including programming, prior to entering this industry, so I’m comfortable working with the tools that would be needed if this request is in fact possible.
I replaced the tones on the storm pro 100w before playing around. It's a bit of a complicated process if you don't have automated tools that Feniex has. The voices and tones is stored on a external 16MB SPI flash memory. There is actually three more tones stored inside the flash memory but I don't know how to activate those tones from what is allowed to be played by the side button tone switch. I know the typhoon can access the additional tones with a hidden button sequence on the controller. You can in theory reprogram the microcontroller to play those additional tones but it will take a bit of reverse engineering the controller firmware. I used a programmer to download the contents of the flash memory. Then used a hex editor to separate the tones by memory locations and split them into wav files. The format it uses is wav 64kbps 8khz mono. There's a total of 12 unique tones stored with mirrored duplicates which amounted to a total of 24 sound files. Replacing the tones does introduce strange behaviors. If you replace a short duration tone with a longer one the short duration time is imposed on the longer one. In other words If you replace a 2 second clip with a 5 second clip it will only play for 2 seconds duration same goes for the tones and vice versa. Additionally short tones that are replaced with long tones don't stop playing after you disconnect the trigger. Only park kill remedy's the problem. I might be able to access the hidden tones via the data port but I don't have the correct tools to test to see if it's using the RS485 protocol for data.

The sounds stored are as followed:
1. Ecto Siren
2. Ghostbuster Theme song*
3. Bad Boys Theme song
4. Move Out of the Way
5. Pull Over
6. Step Out of the Vehicle
7. Step Out of the Vehicle with Your Hands Up
8. Remain in your Vehicle
9. Remain in your Vehicle with the Window Down
10. Mechanical
11. Jurassic Park Theme song*
12. Knight Rider Theme song*

*none accessible tones on storm pro 100w

Reactions: C17LVFD

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
jurassic park and knight rider are on both the hand held and full function controllers. there are you tube vids on what buttons to press to activate them.

brianbri6

Mar 12, 2014
ma
jurassic park and knight rider are on both the hand held and full function controllers. there are you tube vids on what buttons to press to activate them.
I'm talking about the storm pro not the typhoon. With the typhoon I know you can access those tones. This is regarding the storm pro. There's no videos showing how to access those tones with a storm pro. Please link if you have a vid. I'm interested in seeing if a typhoon controller works on a storm pro.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
gotcha

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.