Feniex Typhoon Controller and Siren cut off when using Portable Radio

John_Yester

Apr 16, 2019
Pittsburgh
Recently notice an operation issue when siren speaker is activated and running LED lights. When using the a portable radio with in the cab of my vehicle, once the Mic is keyed up, it turns off the siren. Once I am done transmitting the siren kicks back on. The controller and LED stay operational the whole time.

Has anyone had a issue like this recently. I have reach out to support and we are trouble shooting, but they have not heard of this being a problem.

Current the Amp and controller are under/near driver seat. the speaker is behind the grill exterior.

Portable is in range of the center console.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Assuming the portable is running off battery power, not connected to the vehicle in any way, it’s an RF issue.

First, I’d verify that you have a solid ground connection. Body hardware isn’t always electrically reliable. As a test, you can run a temporary jumper direct to the battery negative. An RF filter in the power line might help as well.

If that’s not it, I’m wondering if the Typhoon control inputs (park kill or rebroadcast) could pick up RF and cut out the siren. If they’re unused, try grounding them through 1k resistors.

If none of the above helps, you’re looking at shielding (ugh) or using an external antenna.

John_Yester

Apr 16, 2019
Pittsburgh
The radio is a Motorola XTS1500 portable radio. It’s not wired to siren controller or car.

It’s a new install for past 3 months. I was just recently promoted and had to install on POV.

The siren and lights are not used everyday as my responses have been limited. Or it is a non emergency response.

But I noticed it when I used the portable a few days ago with siren on. Normally I am not on the radio while responding. Make sense?

So yes, I agreed, I think it’s a RF issue with the portable being inside the vehicle and being used the same time then siren is on. But Feniex themselves said this should not happen.

I can post pictures on install if needed

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
what range is your radio? uhf vhf 800 900?

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
Im curious to know what kind of cable runs from your amp, to your speaker? Also, Where does the cat 5 from the controller to the amp run ?

John_Yester

Apr 16, 2019
Pittsburgh
Im curious to know what kind of cable runs from your amp, to your speaker? Also, Where does the cat 5 from the controller to the amp run ?

16 gauge going to speaker under grill.

10 gauge is my power and ground for amp

the cat 5 runs nearly 2 feet as the controller is mounted by the driver seat and the amp is under the driver seat.

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
When you say 16gauge for speaker. Is it paired cable or single conductors? RF does a lot of wild things. First and foremost follow mountain man’s advice on checking your grounds. When you transmit from a portable inside a vehicle the RF can reflect off the vehicle body and as you know, any metal part of the vehicle body is considered ground. Also, how’s the antenna on your radio? Is it bent with all the spring showing? Is the antenna the correct antenna for the radio? I ran a typhoon in my old service truck for a couple years, never ran into this issue once. I had 3 mobiles and two portables.
As long as your grounds are made correctly, and there are no broken ground straps on your vehicle body you should be good . If your siren speaker cable is pinched in a trim somewhere and going to metal, that could also cause this issue

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.