Fenix Fairies hack

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Why Fenix (and most any other LAW manufacturer in the world) doesn't do this, I'll never know.

For the sake of saving me a headache when I go to install these puppies, I snipped off the heads from the rest of the wiring.

Using an off-the-shelf connector, made a pigtail so I could install the bulbs and wiring separately (I personally like the Anderson Powerpoles)

The only snag was I had to double-over the 22ga wire to make a good crimp in the connector.

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://inlinethumb24.webshots.com/49303/2071327300079783134S600x600Q85.jpg[/URL]

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://inlinethumb42.webshots.com/49257/2264504440079783134S600x600Q85.jpg[/URL]

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
Yep I agree . I do samething if I don't have any nice connectors like that or standard strobe connectors I use spade connectors and face them opposite ways so not to confuse polarity later on. Def helps if running them through a door or to mount on the body..... I like those connectors where u get them ?

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
I like it. Doesn't Strobesnmore have a hide-a-way LED that has a plug between the head and the flasher unit?

bshockme

May 26, 2010
Missouri
The only problem with power poles is they don't lock together positively and can come unplugged in a high vibration environment. The way I get around this is to use a zip around the plugged together unit. I run the zip tie between the wires on each plug. It won't come apart, and you have the low resistance benefit of the power pole. If you need to unplug it, just snip the zip tie and apart it comes.

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
bshockme said:
The only problem with power poles is they don't lock together positively and can come unplugged in a high vibration environment. The way I get around this is to use a zip around the plugged together unit. I run the zip tie between the wires on each plug. It won't come apart, and you have the low resistance benefit of the power pole. If you need to unplug it, just snip the zip tie and apart it comes.

Also Depending on where you put them, water will get in past the tape. Silicone the ends and where they meet will make it less likely to get all corroded.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Brookings/Axixtech 's TRI LED kit comes that way.

623622714.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
I did the same thing with my vertexes in my tail lights to make removing the housings to replacing the bulbs easier than having them hanging by the HAW wiring. I used generic 8-pin connectors from Radio Shack and used 3 pins per each light so it's 1 plug per side.

cfraker

May 24, 2010
United States, Indiana
Feniex also states it will void their warranty! I had one go out and the only way to remove it was to cut the wire between the light head and the flasher. I called them and they told me that I was basically out of luck. They said they had no way to properly test the unit after making the cut. However I removed the second one by cutting the wire the same way and it still works.

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
A Powerpole is way overkill for this application and like you said you have to double the wire over to get a good crimp which increases the chance that the small guage wire can vibrate and sever. I so a similar thing with strobes and LED HAW's but I use Duetsch connectors instead, probably around the same price as the Andersons, a little more than Molex but waterproof and worth the money.

zacmtz7

May 21, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Doesn't FedSig's have the connector installed on theirs? Of course now I can't find a pictur eof them in the for sale posting

FireMedic129

Jul 19, 2011
Kentucky
TheGatekeeper said:
Brookings/Axixtech 's TRI LED kit comes that way.

and in my opinion these are the brightest by far of all of the LED HAW's

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
FireMedic129 said:
and in my opinion these are the brightest by far of all of the LED HAW's

...says the Axixtech dealer, lol.

They might be! I dunno. I've had my Fairies now for a bit and been on a few day-time scenes. Are they super-bright in the day-time? Nah. Will they catch your attention? Well, you'll see my truck sitting in the middle of the road before you see the LAWs. BUT, it's the same story with my Whelen 90W HAWs. The Fairies are just as bright as HAWs powered by a 90W power supply.

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
I asked my contact at feniex and she said they will include the mini plugs for a $10 up charge. But it comes from the factory with them. And strobes and more have the plug in heads on the dual light kit and an option I think on the new 35* set

May 21, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Kd8bao said:
I asked my contact at feniex and she said they will include the mini plugs for a $10 up charge. But it comes from the factory with them. And strobes and more have the plug in heads on the dual light kit and an option I think on the new 35* set

That's good to know! Wasn't aware that was an option.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.