Fentanyl Overdose or Wussy First Responders

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Ok, I'm not getting it. I wasn't there, so can't say. I've used fentanyl for a couple years and never saw these types of responses. Are we sure it's fentanyl and not another chemical suicide? Does feeling sick warrant a shot of narcan? Anxiety attacks?

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando...spect-exposed-to-fentanyl-during-traffic-stop

What say you?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
my understanding from the intelligence briefs we got when I was a leo was the powder is so extremely powerful. 2mg of the powder causes death. It's 100 times more powerful than morphine. Problem with powder is it is so extremely airborne

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
my understanding from the intelligence briefs we got when I was a leo was the powder is so extremely powerful. 2mg of the powder causes death. It's 100 times more powerful than morphine. Problem with powder is it is so extremely airborne

Agree, but unless you're working in an enclosed environment, it's not that much of a roisk:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
ANY exposure to first responders should be treated though. The stakes are simply too high. Any alteration to the mental capabilities of a first responder is huge. It's also a work comp/random drug test issue from an employer stand point

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Fent patches are a big thing in my area. No reported run ins with powder or other forms yet. Airborne byproducts of meth manufacturing are a bigger problem for us.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Until they start scraping the patches to smoke the gel or accelerate the release of fentanyl into their system

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Good point. As far as what phillyrube initially posted, going full decon is a bit overkill imo. Full face mask, gloves i could see, but full tyvek/scba nah.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Yeah... guess it just depends on the situation.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
We have serious fentanyl problems in my area, with carfentanyl starting to come into the area as well. Most LEOs are carrying Narcan on their belts, with N95 masks nearby or on them as well. Full hazmat response is the SOP if we are dealing with it. It's not a pussy thing, it's getting bad and it will kill you. IMO, not treating it as hazmat is similar to calling firefighters pussies for wearing SCBAs at fire scenes. Remember, you don't need to inhale it or swallow it, it gets absorbed through the skin as well.

Reactions: JazzDad and Tony P

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Disagree with it as hazmat on a day to day basis. Meth labs, of course, we suit up. But for a patient with an OD, no need. Tons of supporting data I'll be happy to provide that in an outside environment, it's not necessary, and public safety has been sold a turd by the press, who sensationalize every overdose. Reminds me of the days when AIDs started up, it was routinely seen where firefighters were in complete encapsulating suits. The symptoms commonly seen suffered by overdose patients is the same as any opiate - Slow Breathing or No Breathing - Drowsiness or Unresponsiveness - Constricted or Pinpoint Pupils.

A common theme in these stories is that police officers couldn’t be revived after multiple doses of the opioid overdose antidote naloxone — typically as a way of suggesting just how bad the overdose was.

But there’s another possibility: Maybe the person couldn’t be revived by naloxone because he wasn’t experiencing an opioid overdose. Naloxone can, in some cases, require several doses to take effect, but it will eventually work; if it doesn’t, then it’s likely not an opioid overdose.

Symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath, palpitations, dizziness, fainting, and weakness should have evaluation by a doctor.

Good article about the myth:

In the meantime, proper PPE on the scene if in doubt.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
4 people went down, and hazmat suits were too much? Our SOP is if there is any quantity, hazmat suits. I support that, as I am a patrol shift IC, and don't want to have to knock on a door at o'dark stupid for a next of kin notification.

Reactions: 1863650

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Maybe this is the new response requirement. We used to cut cars open with an ambulance and pumper, nowadays its a pumper, a ladder, a squad, an ambulance, a fire SUV, an EMS suv, and a bunch of police cars. I used to make interior fire attacks with a Scott sling pack.

Times are changing. I stoll say it's the result of 70 years of birth control byproducts being flushed into the water system.

Didn't mean to offend. I didn't believe in CISM until I became a victim.

nluszcz

Dec 1, 2011
Kentucky
It’s absorbed by the skin..... it’s measured in the microgram. 25 mcg per hour is a hefty dose for a person who is not opioid nieve.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.