Finished the Beacon Ray 17....but a couple questions.

gpd132

May 24, 2010
Gulfport, MS
Finished it up. Posted before and after pics below. A few questions though. The beacon does not sit flat. The motor extends below the bottom of the skirt. Is this another case of operator error or will my eventual acquisition of a bottom gasket solve that issue? And how would this mount to a vehicle? I would like a magnet type mount if it exists. If I ever put it on a vehicle I won't leave it on permanently. Here's the pics:

Before:

[Broken External Image]:http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad126/gpd132/Beacon Ray Mod 17/IMG_1790.jpg

After:

[Broken External Image]:http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad126/gpd132/Beacon Ray Mod 17/IMG_1840.jpg

And a short vid:

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad126/gpd132/Beacon%20Ray%20Mod%2017/th_MVI_1837.jpg[/URL]

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
The skirt was cut by the original owner to minimise height. The proper base gasket may give you just enough clearance.

Too heavy for mag. mount, but if not on a moving vehicle, cut a nice aluminum plate to the diameter of the base gasket, when you find one, and apply 3 or 4 90 lb. magnets. Drill, and run the power cord through the alum. plate. Gasket sets are available from someone on this board. Not sure if they give you the same height as the original gasket.

Dan

By the way, nice job!

gpd132

May 24, 2010
Gulfport, MS
I got it off ebay a few weeks ago for $55 plus shipping. I was the only bidder and thought that to be a bit odd. It was attached to a square plate with some bolts. The plate extended past the skirt....kinda looked like a Wendy's hamburger....square meat on round bun. I noticed pics of Mod 17's and they always had a tall skirt. If the gasket don't work I may come up with something or just find another skirt. I could always smash in the part of the roof where I would mount it so that it sits flat :D

GSPD

May 21, 2010
NY
Looks good, but replace those large screws in the skirt with ones that will be recessed.

gpd132

May 24, 2010
Gulfport, MS
I went to the hardware store and the only 1/4 screws they had had those large phillps heads. I was looking for a smaller head slotted screw.

Sirenman

May 25, 2010
Tucson, AZ USA
I have new original height skirts available, but you won't like the price if you only paid $55. for the light. The new skirts are $105. That still makes it a $110. beacon that is worth $200. or more.

John Dorgan

gpd132

May 24, 2010
Gulfport, MS
Thanks John. I will look around for one that is used. The beacon is probably gonna be a keeper for me and it may or may not make it onto a vehicle in the future. But if I can't find anything I know I can ask you for parts.

Would you happen to have a motor cover and red lens for a WL mechanical siren? I found someone who has a used cover for $35 and lens for $55.

mike

Sirenman

May 25, 2010
Tucson, AZ USA
Those prices sound fair. I would grab them.

JD

gpd132 said:
Thanks John. I will look around for one that is used. The beacon is probably gonna be a keeper for me and it may or may not make it onto a vehicle in the future. But if I can't find anything I know I can ask you for parts.

Would you happen to have a motor cover and red lens for a WL mechanical siren? I found someone who has a used cover for $35 and lens for $55.

mike

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.