Finnish National Police warning lights

Timoteus

Mar 31, 2012
Finland
I have read several post here complaining of excessive amount of LED warning lights (and warning lights in general) in single vehicle. I would like to hear your opinions on Finnish National Police warning lights. Is amount of and placement of warning lights good? What about flash patterns? There are three videos (two of them linked in this post) showing different police lights in use.

I'm not first responder nor am I in anyway connected to any law enforcement agency. I'm just citizen with higher than average interest into police and rescue services.

Police car in Turku responding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Timoteus

Mar 31, 2012
Finland
Police pursuit of truck nearby Kuopio. This is documentary program and therefore quite long but it shows quite well different police lights in use in Finland.

Quick translation of pursuit video's description (minor errors likely): "Pursuit started at 8 am in Lapinlahti where police patrol notice truck driving southbound with small overspeed. Additionally car resembled a car seen previously in crime scene.

"In Nerko police attempted to stop the fleeing truck by flashing lights (note: in Finland forward facing flashing red light is order to stop). Another patrol set spike strip in Pöljä in Siilinjärvi. Despite both front tires being empty truck continued its journey.

"In highway police shot several times to fleeing truck's cooler in attempt to stop it. Then police attempted to slow truck's speed by driving in front of it. Fleeing truck hit several times to police cars rears and sides. In Vuorela in Siilinjärvi police van turned sideways into front of truck leading truck to push it forward several dozens of metres.

"At this point police officer in sideways being car shot two rounds of second hit suspect. Round passed through both police car's window and truck's windshield"

Also in documentary police officer notes that bullet hit directly over heart but was deflected by breastbone. Suspect was lucky this time.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
It really depends on the purpose and the use of the vehicle.

A marked unit should have front traffic-clearing, intersection-crossing, rear-warning (stationary) and 360° lightning.

An unmarked solely used for "moving faster" here and then and remain inconspicuous the rest of the time, may get away with efficient front LEDs (dash/grille/HAW) and softer rear LEDs (HAW, deck). The operator also makes the difference.

American standards of lightning are fun to watch, but too often overdone in my opinion.

Timoteus

Mar 31, 2012
Finland
TheGatekeeper said:
It really depends on the purpose and the use of the vehicle.

A marked unit should have front traffic-clearing, intersection-crossing, rear-warning (stationary) and 360° lightning.

An unmarked solely used for "moving faster" here and then and remain inconspicuous the rest of the time, may get away with efficient front LEDs (dash/grille/HAW) and softer rear LEDs (HAW, deck). The operator also makes the difference.

American standards of lightning are fun to watch, but too often overdone in my opinion.
In case of these videos all involved units are regular patrol cars/vans. Those vans with emergency lights integrated into roof are latest standard and are replacing older types (as sidenote setup is almost identical with ambulances). Sedan style patrol cars are still using old halogen/strobe lightbars. I have not yet seen any with leds but that maybe just by chance as marked cars are not so common as marked vans.

Police has about 1700 cars/vans of which about 690 are marked. Most common types (from most common to least): Volkswagen Transporter, Ford Mondeo, Skoda Octavia, Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla and Volkswagen Golf.

Last edited by a moderator:

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
jprleedy4680 said:
That first car was sorely lacking, IMO.

And it's only a 4-cylinder engine, and horror of horrors, the car has a floor shifter! Also there is no center console. :eek:

And yet, day in and day out, these cars get the job done.

Bullets

Mar 14, 2012
New Jersey
Seems effective, if anything the wig wags washed the lightbar out, i like it

360 degree lighting in a simple package, no need for 87076984 lights if it gets the job done, and i have always liked the way strobes reflect of buildings/signs/cars

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
RJ* said:
And it's only a 4-cylinder engine, and horror of horrors, the car has a floor shifter! Also there is no center console. :eek:

And yet, day in and day out, these cars get the job done.
You got that right RJ!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.