Fireball - proper bulb and fast motor?

ful-vue

Aug 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
Hey folks, I'm considering bringing my old FBH11 Fireball back into service, but it has the slow motor. Anyone know a source for the 150 fpm motor? Also, what's the proper type of Halogen bulb. In the past, I've gotten 55 watt bulbs where the filament isn't properly positioned at the focus of the mirror. Thanks!

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
H1 55Watt is the correct bulb, and you are correct, (few people notice this) the filament does not hit exactly where it should. Close enough to work, but not close enough for me. This happens in the transition pieces to adapt the standard bayonett socket to the H1 socket. It is what it is. As far as the motor, try the typical Federal 9 Volt fast motor, and remove the white worm gear. I believe this will work at a decent flash rate, if I remember correctly.

Reactions: Pete L. and ful-vue

ful-vue

Aug 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
At one point back in the late 70's we got replacement bulbs that had the same base, but had horizontal filaments rather than vertical, and that I'm pretty sure matched up better with the focus of the mirror. I did some googling looking for lamps with the same base, but I haven't been able to find anything like those, however. Closest I've seen is H3, but without the lead.

Reactions: denko3

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
If you take the collar of the H1 holder and replace the spade lug with a new center contact you can use a bayonet bulb like the S795. The FBH has a bayonet said Chet under the collar. I did this with one of mine. I also added a small diameter vacuum hose to the motor shaft that made the rotation faster

Reactions: ful-vue

BLUELIGHT

Jul 7, 2018
Hendersonville NC
I'd need to check my collection, but I don't believe the FB11 had a worm drive, just a motor shaft that spun against a shallow cup about 3" in diameter. By adding the proper diameter vacuum or washer hose, or a piece of heat shrink tubing on the motor shaft, you could increase the flash rate. I'd try cleaning and lubricating the motor first, though.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The FB-11 and 12 and FBH-11 and 12 did not use a worm and cog gear drive, that was only on the original Fireball, the FB-1 and FB-2. The FB-11/12 and FBH-11/12 replaced the cog gear with a rubber rimmed metal disc, the motor was moved to be positioned perpendicular to the base of the bulb and its metal drive shaft and a pinch wheel made contact with the rubber rim. You may be able to use heat shrink tubing on the drive shaft to increase the rotation of the reflector assembly.

A good upgrade to a FB-11/12 or the FB-1/2 Serial xB12 and later is to replace the incandescent 1195 bulb with a halogen 795X bulb.

Reactions: dmathieu

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.