Firemen...where do you get your brass?

ncfd4303

May 20, 2010
Corning, NY
My dept finally approved for new uniforms. Where do you guys get your brass at? Search engines give me lots of places, but looking for some stable places, not just some fly by internet website. We are looking for badges, name tags and collar pics with the dept initials. Thanks!!

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
Our local uniform store =Kay Uniforms - and other shops usually use Gall's just as a price guide and give a significant discount. if you place a volume order, particularly on things like collar pins, they may keep some in stock. They also sell our state's EMT and First Responder patches when appropriate credentials are presented.

They are also great on service for Class A uniforms that our Fire and EMS agencies wear to LODD funerals.

Try to find a local business that may help.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
Def. try to go local. You'll actually get to see what you are buying. Purchasing that kind of stuff over the internet will get you some ridiculous looking stuff that looks like it came from a quarter machine. Our last name tags that we didn't order localy could have been used for body armor, they look horrible.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i get my stuff at qmuniforms.com. been around for ages and they deal alot with cdcr from what they say. Ive bought alot from them when the "local guy" (25miles away) doesn't have what im looking for.

Richard, have you ever been to hero gear in winchester? i know its out of your way but if your ever at stmc your a bout a mile away from it near the old food lion.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
Another reason to buy local. They may frequently have a direct contact with a supplier and manufacturer. In Tennessee, we have two manufacturers who produce police and fire uniforms, so the costs are lower on shipping. A factory that makes fire fighting gloves is in Knoxville, and about forty miles from there, another makes turn-out coats and pants. In New York, there is a military contractor for BDUs who also makes navy and tan BDUs used for DMAT and USAR teams.

Side note: I have a flashlight bought at Hero Gear and been by once, and a lot of their stuff was BDU, military and law enforcement. Seemed similar to U.S. Calvary, which is big near military bases.

pondfly

May 21, 2010
IL
I did my local uniform store, but it isn't cheap at all. Just before I went out on disability I put my service bands, rank bars on the sleeves and the brass it went to almost $200 including sewing charges (I don't sew my class A).

hvfd525

May 21, 2010
Tennessee
Jarred J. said:
i get my stuff at qmuniforms.com. been around for ages and they deal alot with cdcr from what they say. Ive bought alot from them when the "local guy" (25miles away) doesn't have what im looking for.

Richard, have you ever been to hero gear in winchester? i know its out of your way but if your ever at stmc your a bout a mile away from it near the old food lion.

I am sure Hero Gear will have what he is looking for. The mainly have everything you would need uniform wise.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
landon i dont think the op is going to drive from NY to your neck of the woods :lol:

richard is TNems7. he stated above he's been there.

the one thing he didnt mention was the guns. theres lots of guns! :shock:

i dont know how long its been sine he was there but theyve expanded.

added asp, 5.11, pro copper and a few more overpriced items.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
pondfly said:
I did my local uniform store, but it isn't cheap at all. Just before I went out on disability I put my service bands, rank bars on the sleeves and the brass it went to almost $200 including sewing charges (I don't sew my class A).

I have to agree with Pondfly that modifications aren't cheap. But while they will do uniform shirts, a lot of dry cleaner seamstresses won't do Class A uniforms.

If you can, get modifications and brass done when you buy the uniform. They usually are more liberal with discounts.

Also, Kay Uniforms is using fabric adhesive to do rank bands, rather than sewing them onto the sleeve, and that saves costs and makes later changes easier.

hvfd525

May 21, 2010
Tennessee
Jarred J. said:
landon i dont think the op is going to drive from NY to your neck of the woods :lol:

richard is TNems7. he stated above he's been there.

the one thing he didnt mention was the guns. theres lots of guns! :shock:

i dont know how long its been sine he was there but theyve expanded.

added asp, 5.11, pro copper and a few more overpriced items.

A few over priced? You mean the whole store don't you? LOL

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.