First one in the Wild

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
First time I have ever seen one in the wild. Open Google maps and search this location. Use street view at the pin and see what you find. You can scroll your mouse to zoom in.

33.682086652756, -86.69235579876562

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I don’t see anything special…. Maybe I am blind….
I assume it has something to do with lights…. Probably vintage seeing the age of the iron there.

Let’s let this play out for a bit so others can play before anyone spoils it.

Ok. Took a look again, it’s not as blurry this time around. I *think* I spy it… forget what it’s called, but remembering seeing a thread on here talking about it.

Reactions: Tango7

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
Geo-caching for lights. Picture a bit grainy on my phone, and not knowledgeable about those style lights, but is it one of the industrial type slanted reflector Federal lights that pop up on eBay from time to time? Or is it something different that looks similar?

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
Back in the 60's the local VFD had a rescue truck and 2 engines. Outside the front of the firehouse was a pole with one of these mounted in the middle and a bulb in a glass encased socket on each side. The center light represented the rescue truck and each side light represented an engine. The first guy in would turn on the lights for what trucks were to respond depending on the type of call then write the address of the call on a chalkboard. Pagers weren't even in existence and they came cause they heard the siren on top of the firehouse so this was a quick way of communicating to the incoming guys what to do.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I've seen these used as ad lights for businesses more than I've seen them used for building warning. Very cool to see regardless, though. They're very effective lights.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Federal 27-S. These were used in interesting ways over the years. Most were on Firehouses, Police precincts, call boxes, industrial use on gates or alarm systems, even on boats. I have a 1956 model that was used on a New Haven Harbor Patrol Boat. Someone told me they saw one on a hotel in their hometown growing up. They use a standard flood light like you would use on the outside of your house.

Pinson Alabama 2.JPG

Pinson Alabama 1.JPG

DSC_0060.JPG

DSC_0054.JPG

Reactions: kitn1mcc
Jun 18, 2013
PA
I totally blame @Skulldigger for this one..
40.629283338927245, -75.3585922034661

Probably has not moved in years, but its the first one of these I have seen in the wild.

Aug 20, 2010
Texas USA
We had one in a security control room of an office building I worked in. Had a small camera mounted in the base for the client to keep an eye on the guard.

It would go off when an alarm came in. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. In either case, it was made by Federal Signal.

They used to be common on clearance markers and loading docks back in the 60's around here. Still see them every now and then as advertising.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Nice one. There is another easter egg in the view too. Lol
Do you mean the XL Towman's special on the same truck in the photos?

You got me worried, my luck is there is a hidden d*** pic or something.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Do you mean the XL Towman's special on the same truck in the photos?

You got me worried, my luck is there is a hidden d*** pic or something.
Imagine your driving by and you see the light on the truck. You want a closer look so you take that street next to the truck. If your still looking at that light what might you miss in the street.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I kept checking backwards while going up the street to see if we got him.

• Haha
Reactions: Skulldigger
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Ummm I pulled out the picture and I didn't get that view...
Using street view you have to go up the side street next to the shop. The kid shows up in 1 frame, almost looks like your gonna hit em as you travel up the road.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Back in the 1970s I saw two lights that looked like that. One was a red and mounted to the top of a rotating sign on hotel, and the other was blue and mounted on top of a neon sign for a Chinese restaurant.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.