First Vision SLR failure. Here it is, folks.

d119

May 26, 2010
CA - Land of Steady Red
Seven years ago, I bought a Vision SLR, paid for our of my own pocket. $3100. It is used at a non-profit railway museum for support on one of our maintenance-of-way vehicles. It is not in a harsh environment from a weather standpoint. It's Southern California, and we have fairly mild weather year round.

Two days ago it has experienced its first failure.

Traced the problem down to water in one of the pods. Found that all of the pod seals have failed, having cracked, and when touched, they turn to a pasty petroleum goo.

The bar has rust on the brackets and has for a few years now, and now this.

The Halogen Vision it replaced was much more rugged and reliable. This is very, very disappointing.

I'm told I need the following parts:

Z8652249A-AC at list price of $560.00 (Amber Pod)
Z8652107A at list price of $75.00 each (Dome Seal, and I need 6).

Unbelievable. I cannot wrap my mind around this. 1/3 the cost of the bar to replace just the pod and seals on the other pods. .I have put in an e-mail to the local Federal Signal rep just now, we will see if and how they handle this.

In the meantime, I guess I'm down a pod. Seems it works when it wants to. Otherwise it just rotates without lighting up, and doesn't initialize when the bar is powered on.

Anyone else experiencing any issues? Any suggestions?

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
A full multi-color Vision SLR is my holy grail item, but I refuse to pay what they think those are worth.

It is not surprising that agencies can't afford those, especially with parts pricing like you've mentioned. It sucks that that it failed on you, maybe a dealer in our community can help you reduce the repair costs, or possibly someone with used parts will chime in.

Just out of curiosity, is there still any standing water inside the pod or on the board? It seems odd that it would partially work following water damage, but I can certainly understand if that is the case.

Reactions: kadetklapp

deelony

May 23, 2010
LINY
I own a few vision slr's and one has the same program as yours. I'm gonna have to check the seals. Haven't had any other problems other than the occasional condensation on a pod

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
It's really frustrating that at this price point and "top shelf" category of lightbar you're experiencing these failures, and that FS isn't taking care of them.

Like Jman, this would be a holy grail item for me also. Nice to know I could never trust it's reliability on my agency cars.

cory y2.0

Oct 24, 2016
DFW
Ok I can say that I had the privledge of installing the very first Vision SLR Serial # 00001 in March of 2011. it was a 53inch with all 7 pods RBAW with hotfoot and alleys.

the customer 2 years ago complained about pods not working and arrow stick issues.

the pods are expensive and the arrow is over $1000

Attachments

• IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 28

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Ok I can say that I had the privledge of installing the very first Vision SLR Serial # 00001 in March of 2011. it was a 53inch with all 7 pods RBAW with hotfoot and alleys.

the customer 2 years ago complained about pods not working and arrow stick issues.

the pods are expensive and the arrow is over $1000
And consider that there are still plenty of first gen Visions rotating away... though likely with some hazy domes.

Anyone have some NOS amber and white domes for a Vector/Vision... message me.

Reactions: kadetklapp

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.