Flash Pattern Selection Switch Advice needed, DPDT or DPST Momentary

Straypuft

Nov 7, 2015
Akron Ohio
I have an Arjent SL set up in my living room running off of a simple Pyramid 12v Power supply, no switch box currently.
A while back, I was told I should look into getting a DPDT(Double Pull/Double Throw) Momentary Switch for quick pattern changing, So I did, but the one I chose happens to require so much force to switch between on/off. ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LFVFA8/?tag=elightbars-20 )
Unfortunately I do not have anything to attach the switch to and I find it hard to get a good grip on the switch with a single hand to flip the switch. I am looking for a simple up/down momentary switch and many of the DPST switches I am finding seem to be the kind I am looking for: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019O0PQGO/?tag=elightbars-20 .

The question is, Would a DPST momentary switch do the same thing my DPDT(six contacts) switch does just for hooking up 2 + and 2- wires to momentarily close the circuit?

ai.imgur.com_DG51RTF.jpg

Last edited:

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Unless I'm missing something, why not just use a simple momentary push button. A pattern change is usually a single polarity wire and very low current. A simple SPST momentary push button is suffice.

Tony

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Unless I'm missing something, why not just use a simple momentary push button. A pattern change is usually a single polarity wire and very low current. A simple SPST momentary push button is suffice.

Tony

Take a look more closely at the photo. It appears as though there are four wires connected to the switch. It looks as though he may be using one DPDT switch in the place of two SPST switches, completing either of two circuits momentarily depending on which way the switch is thrown.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
No, you can't use a DPST switch because both pattern wires need to be isolated. You either have to get 2 SPST push button switches or a DPDT rocker switch, which will work exactly like your toggle switch you have now but should be easier to operate one handed.

Straypuft

Nov 7, 2015
Akron Ohio
Thanks for the input everyone, I will look into other types of DPDT switches, but for now, with some practice I am able to use one hand to switch patterns with my current switch, I have looked around and may look into a switch box and some way to attach my current DPDT switch to it.

Til next time, this is your friendly froogle lightbar owner signing off!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.