Florida Highway Patrol upfitters in the 80s-90's

SparkSVT

May 24, 2010
PHILADELPHIA PA
Does anyone know who did the upfitting of FHP cars in the 80's and early 90's? Im desperately looking for a federal signal JSS lightbar controll box that they used in that era for a restoration project.

Thanks

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
I have a personal friend and former co-worker that did installations for them during that time period. He was a radio tech but did sirens and lights some, too. He used to be on the board but his health has been deteriorating lately and he hasn't made it to this version of ELB.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
Those JSS controllers pop on on eBay occasionally, and the bidding usually gets pricey. Maybe someone here on the board has an extra one in a collection they would part with. Can anybody help him out???

SparkSVT

May 24, 2010
PHILADELPHIA PA
Im DESPERATE at this point. If anyone has any leads please let me know. If anyone knows who did FHP's upfitting in the 80s and 90s that may help too!

luckyducky

May 22, 2010
NorCal
SparkSVT said:
Im DESPERATE at this point. If anyone has any leads please let me know. If anyone knows who did FHP's upfitting in the 80s and 90s that may help too!

Maybe Ford-Dealer has one. He has everything great.

drb

May 23, 2010
Southern California
Give Unitrol a call. Maybe they have one laying around or could find one:

Unitrol Factory

1108 Raymond Way, Anaheim, CA 92801

Tel.: (800) 854-3375 • Fax: (714) 871-3418

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
Call Unitrol? Umm, if I recall correctly, wasn't that JSS unit a Federal Signal product and often sold in combination with the original chain drive Jetsonics?

drb

May 23, 2010
Southern California
03crownvic said:
Call Unitrol? Umm, if I recall correctly, wasn't that JSS unit a Federal Signal product and often sold in combination with the original chain drive Jetsonics?

Unitrol is owned by Federal Signal. As an authorized repair facility, they may have worked on these units in the past or have an old one laying around. If nothing else, it's one more place to look. The more people you can spread the word to, the better your odds of finding something specific.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
FEDERAL SIGNAL CORPORATION has acquired the UNITROL product line of DUNBAR-NUNN CORPORATION.

Jan 1, 1996

FEDERAL SIGNAL CORPORATION has acquired the UNITROL product line of DUNBAR-NUNN CORPORATION. Unitrol manufactures electronic siren and switch control systems for the emergency vehicle market. Federal makes and supplies public safety, signaling, and communications equipment. Customer inquiries and orders will continue to be handled at Unitrol`s Anaheim, California, office.

From FireEngineering.com

twobravo

Oct 24, 2010
USA, Oklahoma
I grew up in Naples, Florida. My dad's shop was just a few buildings down from the factory that made "The Light from Mars". I always thought that place was cool. Emergency Vehicles from all over Collier County would get their upfitting done there. After Mars went out of business, the sheriff's office took over operations there. I did see FHP cars there from time to time. That's all I can tell you for now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.