Football=Bad Cops (Apparently)...

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
Two NYPD cops face April disciplinary hearing for playing football with 7-year-old while on duty - NY Daily News

Two on-duty Bronx cops flagged for tossing a football with a 7-year-old boy on the Fourth of July will face a disciplinary hearing in April, the Daily News has learned.
Police Officers Catherine Guzman and Mariana Diaz are fighting departmental charges for the 2010 pigskin play in the Webster Houses in Morrisania — and say they’ve been unfairly singled out.

“If a police officer can kiss Jenny McCarthy in front of millions and not be charged . . . I don’t see how throwing a football to a 7-year-old can result in disciplinary action,” said the officers’ lawyer, Eric Sanders.

He was referring to the steamy New Year’s Eve smooch between the former Playmate and Police Officer Bekim Becaj that aired on live TV. Becaj, who was on duty in Times Square at the time of the kiss, skirted disciplinary action.

Guzman, Diaz and two other cops tossing the football around were socked with charges when the commanding officer of the Bronx Housing Bureau spotted them.

“What are you doing? Do you realize you’re on overtime?” Deputy Chief James McNamara reportedly yelled at them.

The two other officers were docked two vacation days each as a penalty.
I think the person here that should've been docked the vacation pay is that dumbass Commanding Officer. Someone needs to sit him down and explain "Positive Community Relations" with him.

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
ahh the wonderful dept we have always trying to hurt our own

what happened to community policing its getting rediculous

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
I've tossed a ball around on duty before. Its a great way to put a human touch on law enforcement, especially for younger people. People tend to look at us and see "cops", not a person doing a job. Getting to know people on a more personal level changes that view of your local police officer. Community relations, its kinda like an officer walking through the shops in the neighborhood. You are out in your beat, being seen and meeting people.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
I also seem to remember a few NYPD cops gettin' down an duuuuuuuurty with some parade attendees while working said parade. Lots of attention to that... No discipline. So who knows. I would think, especially in a housing complex like this, these cops would be commended not condemned for building a positive relation with kids, especially in this day in age.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
And people wonder why we're FUBARd

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
11b101abn said:
NYPD eats thier own.

That department is like a monkey fucking a football.

Quick flashback to EMT training, when after 13 out of 14 future EMT's couldn't get the regulator on right, our instructor told us, "You were like a bunch of monkeys trying to fuck a coconut." (Yeah, that's right. I was the only one who got it. :D )

The NYPD has a relatively suck-y PR program...so I guess I'm not surprised that football has been added to the ban list, in addition to the NYPD T-shirts, 16 ounce sodas, and the rest of New York's great ideas.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Welcome to modern-liberalism America, where we have politicians trying to disarm the law-abiders and punish police officers for serving the public by tossing the pigskin with a *large gasp* 7-year old CHILD for a few minutes!!!

(Que dramatic shock music. :rolleyes: )

Hey, Deputy Chief James McNamara

[Broken External Image]:http://intolerantfox.files.wordpres...s_best_dad_of_all_time-s375x560-85617-580.jpg

Sincerely,

People who like awesome cops.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
It just strikes me as insane that some people can really look past awesome PR to bitch about menial things like this. Seriously?

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
We had something similar happen in a former department. First, a city council member whined to the chief that we weren't "friendly" enough, so a big campaign was started where we got out of the cars and walked, stopped by local businesses, and played basketball with kids. (all good things) We also had to wave to people more, so we started leaving our arms out the window in a permanent wave, which was pretty amusing.

Next thing you know, an officer is being disciplined for playing basketball with kids, this stemming from a complaint from another, anti-police councilman. You can't win. The disciplinary action was promptly dropped, but shouldn't have ever happened in the first place. I guess the chief didn't want to take his balls out of his purse. Idiots............

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
This is disgusting! Like really? Its called community relations ,Top notch officers to me! Damned if you do damned if you don't, I love this job!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.