Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
ai2.cdn.turner.com_money_galleries_2010_autos_1003_gallery.fora65f3ccd03cc2c20efcda0b60818abaa.jpg

Really? Hmm.. I dunno if I like it or not.. I'll wait for some more images to appear first. I do like the styling from what I see, but if its the same "platform" as the Taurus Interceptor, will it be big enough inside?

Also, where the heck can we mount the mirror lights? :lol: :lol:

2.0-liter EcoBoost inline-four will be an option
Oh wait.. I take that back.. police pursuit rated, and the above engine as an option? :shock:
The Explorer will use unibody construction
Hrmph.

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Its a concept. The production will surely be toned down a bit, and include mirrors!

Uni-body is just a fact of life anymore in the police market. The difference now will be whether its RWD/FWD/AWD.

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
It looks like a freestyle!

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Looks come secondary to actual usability. The rear doors look HUGE, and it looks like there is more trunk and back seat room then the current exploder. The different color body molding will probably not come on the NGPI Wagon version. The police taurus will be called the Next Generation Police Interceptor, I wonder if the new "explorer", which is based on the taurus will keep the explorer name plate. I also wonder if the police version will be called an interceptor wagon, or Police Pursuit Explorer. (like the current SSV Explorer).

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I wonder how it will handle at speed. We had someone have to pull out of a chase the other day because his Explorer was too un-stable at the speeds they were doing.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Newberry13 said:
It looks like a freestyle!
Yeah, I read a while back that the Freestyle/Taurus X was going away because the next gen Exploder was going to a more "car like, crossover type" chassis...

ParkPiggy said:
The difference now will be whether its RWD/FWD/AWD.
I'm thinking if the Taurus based PI is going to offer AWD, then this would too..

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
RL1 said:
I wonder how it will handle at speed. We had someone have to pull out of a chase the other day because his Explorer was too un-stable at the speeds they were doing.

It is never a good idea to put any vehicle in a chase if it is not pursuit rated. If one wrecks out, either single car, or worse hits an innocent, the city is on the hook for a serious law suit. The Explorer is not a high speed vehicle. I have never taken mine over 100, and even that makes my sac tighten!

This new Explorer is going to be offered in AWD, with a new version of select trac that will adjust on its own.

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Hilo is correct. The current Explorer is a Special Service Vehicle, along with the Expedition. The only current pursuit rated SUV is the two wheel drive Chevy Tahoe PPV, the 4 wheel drive is a SSV. The new explorer is supposed to be a pursuit rated vehicle.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
You know if they came out with a new design for the Explorer I might be more open minded, but it looks like they put the front end of an Edge and the back end of a Freestyle together.

catfish

May 24, 2010
Ontario Canada
Another thing i dont like is how the rear roof comes up a couple inches..would this not block light output of the lightbar, unless mounted halfway down the roof? I dont like it what so ever, and the tahoe is still #1 in my books

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
HILO said:
It is never a good idea to put any vehicle in a chase if it is not pursuit rated. If one wrecks out, either single car, or worse hits an innocent, the city is on the hook for a serious law suit. The Explorer is not a high speed vehicle. I have never taken mine over 100, and even that makes my sac tighten!

I agree, however, the supervisor (Explorer) was the only unit available for back up at the time. After a 2nd CVPI got in it, he tried to hang back incase they needed help but ended up going 10-8 since they were smoking him.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
I LOVE the way Ford is going with their linup, EXCEPT THE EXPLORER!!!! I love the styling on my '04, the GEN IV's took a little bit to get used to, but they can look decent. This? This is a disgrace! Why can't they just come up with a new model and keep the Explorer and SUV. It didn't sell as much as it did being a stupid crossover, it sold because people wanted a SUV!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.