Ford F150 Feniex POV

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
2011 Ford F150 Lariat. Volunteer FF POV.

I just got these mounted in my buddies truck. He wanted super low key and didnt want anything in the dash, so we went with a pair of Feniex Cobra600s. One in the grill and one on the backrack. The rear stick has a pair of ambers that are independently switched. So he can run just amber, just blue, or both together.

Coming soon is a Whelen 8 button remote switch panel and 6 Feniex Cannons

2 B/A cannons in the front turn signals

2 B/W Cannons in the fog lights

2 B/W Cannons as the reverse lights

The Front Cannons will act as white fog lights with blue warn override. The turn signals will flash blue and have an amber turn signal override.

The rear cannons will flash blue with white reverse override. These will replace the OE reverse lights.

http://youtu.be/LFcaXnqRPnk

Last edited by a moderator:

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I wouldn't even bother with the cannons in the reverse lights, the housings are so small the output always sucks. Everything else looks good so far though. Some Whelen mirrorbeams would look pretty good and round out the front warning nicely while being low profile. 

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
uploadfromtaptalk1410639860636.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410639872540.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410639879743.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410639900251.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410639908156.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410639913659.jpg

I wouldn't even bother with the cannons in the reverse lights, the housings are so small the output always sucks. Everything else looks good so far though. Some Whelen mirrorbeams would look pretty good and round out the front warning nicely while being low profile.
Maybe a pair of FeniexT6s on the mirrors? That way i could sync them. And what if i omitted the the cannons in the reverse lights and did a pair of T6s under the rear tailgate instead?

Reactions: hawkspringsfire

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Cannons in these f-150's look really good. I'll try to get you video later.   We use splits and put them in reverse lights (Factory hole). Even have a ford dealership doing it as OEM replacements for an "upgrade" on their units.  

All other LAWs I've seen here have looked like trash because they mount them to the side.  

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Ok sounds good then Nic. Thats what he really wants anyway.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
I disagree. I replaced my OEM reverse lights with W/W Feniex Cannons and they look great... both as a warning light and a reverse light. I get compliments all the time when people see them in action. Mine is a 2014 F-150, and I had them in my most recent 2013 F-150 as well.

If you try to mount them on the inside of the reverse light compartment, they are completely useless.

To the OP: You have a nice ride and good setup :thumbsup:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Nice job storm, but I wish he would allow u to put something higher up front. Maybe pitch to him the idea of 2 ions (1 on each side of RVM) on the headliner, as a smaller alternative to something larger like a slimlighter?

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I disagree. I replaced my OEM reverse lights with W/W Feniex Cannons and they look great... both as a warning light and a reverse light. I get compliments all the time when people see them in action. Mine is a 2014 F-150, and I had them in my most recent 2013 F-150 as well.

If you try to mount them on the inside of the reverse light compartment, they are completely useless.

To the OP: You have a nice ride and good setup :thumbsup:
I have not been impressed with the HAWs I've seen mounted in that location but I don't think I have seen a cannon mounted in the factory hole. I'd like to see a video of them if you have one. 

Reactions: Storm4200

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Poor phone video... but sun at camera's back so lights are in direct florida sun.  For comparison, the lights on the chevy's LP are some awl surface mounts

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Looks good to me. I think the cannons will be ok so long as i replace the reverse lights with them.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
I have not been impressed with the HAWs I've seen mounted in that location but I don't think I have seen a cannon mounted in the factory hole. I'd like to see a video of them if you have one. 
This video is a bit closer than you'd probably prefer, but it still shows how bright the Cannons are as in comparison to the Cobra T-6's on the LP bracket.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I still think a T6 under the tailgate would be better. They certainly look brighter than other HAWs I've seen but still not that impressive IMO. Also, I assume that's with all 12 LEDs flashing, the OP wasn't to have a split color. 

Poor phone video... but sun at camera's back so lights are in direct florida sun.  For comparison, the lights on the chevy's LP are some awl surface mounts

That's a 04-08 F150 with much larger reverse light housings. 

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
They are just as effective in the new style. Your point of them not being effective at all is wrong

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
How well do the Cannons fit in the OEM reverse light hole?  Im getting ready to outfit my new F-150 and was going to do this.

attachicon.gif
IMG_0531.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_0532.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_0524.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_0534.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_0536.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_0526.jpg
Maybe a pair of FeniexT6s on the mirrors? That way i could sync them. And what if i omitted the the cannons in the reverse lights and did a pair of T6s under the rear tailgate instead?
Its hard for me to tell in the pic but how bad does the bar show when not in use?   I don't want anything sticking out to be seen besides maybe the Apollos I put on my step rail bracket?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
How well do the Cannons fit in the OEM reverse light hole?  Im getting ready to outfit my new F-150 and was going to do this.

Its hard for me to tell in the pic but how bad does the bar show when not in use?   I don't want anything sticking out to be seen besides maybe the Apollos I put on my step rail bracket?
You will have to heat up a unibit and widen the hole. But once it is an inch, they fit great and look amazing... even in those tiny reverse lights. The little bit of a housing there is really makes them stand out. Not one person who has got them for that truck has not been estatic with them. 

I know locally there are probably about 100 f-150's with cannons replacing the stock reverse lights. 

ClintonPSE

Mar 13, 2013
Clinton, IA
You will have to heat up a unibit and widen the hole. But once it is an inch, they fit great and look amazing... even in those tiny reverse lights. The little bit of a housing there is really makes them stand out. Not one person who has got them for that truck has not been estatic with them. 

I know locally there are probably about 100 f-150's with cannons replacing the stock reverse lights. 
I agree with FEVER, We've started installing them in place of the reverse lights as well. VERY popular and they work great for warning or reverse lights. Customers LOVE them!

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Its hard for me to tell in the pic but how bad does the bar show when not in use? I don't want anything sticking out to be seen besides maybe the Apollos I put on my step rail bracket?
Its hard to see in the pictures because its hard to see in real life too. That Cobra600 is invisible when off. It fits there perfectly.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
I understand "low profile" but layers lead to safety. You can get slim interior lights that people can barely see until activated. Maybe it's just me but I just don't see this as enough even when HAWs are in. The placement of the 600s are pefect, though.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Ill get him to agree on a dash light. Dont you guys worry.

Also just for the record, this vehicle is used for response to the station in a VERY rural area. No traffic. No bad intersections. No traffic lights. No congestion. He has NO trouble moving traffic with this current set up.

lambo2936

Apr 11, 2013
Central NJ
I gotta ask. How woulf one set up the cannons to be both reverse lights and hideaways?

Got a 2011 f150 im setting up myself which is why i ask.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Use mode 1 for reverse, mode 2 or 3 for warning

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Use mode 1 for reverse, mode 2 or 3 for warning
To add to that, I've hooked it up so that mode 1 was reverse, overriding all other features, mode 2 is a steady burn (6-LED) flood mode hooked to a switch, and mode 3 was the flashing warning mode. If you have 3 modes, you might as well use them!

Reactions: MarchHare94

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Ive been doing mode 1 is white reverse and overrides everything. Mode 2 is slow flashing blue only for 'on scene' and mode 3 as a rapid blue/white flash for responding.

Reactions: MEVS06

ozzyy1

Feb 6, 2014
IL
Ive been doing mode 1 is white reverse and overrides everything. Mode 2 is slow flashing blue only for 'on scene' and mode 3 as a rapid blue/white flash for responding.
That is exactly how I wired mine up. I am very impressed with them.

Reactions: MEVS06

bburnette252

Aug 19, 2013
TN

How effective are they at intersection protection in the reverse lights with the Cannons installed? looking for an option in the back of my truck. I have split R/W cannons

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
My 2 cents - I recently replaced 2 of our marked FD F-250 pickups stock reverse lights with the cannons for both reverse function and warning function. The output is just beyond amazing. The light up the area behind you at night while in reverse way better than the stock lights did and the warning function of them is superior as well. I have also done this in my person vehicle (2013 Ram), very happy with it. 

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
It is of my opinion that intersection warning is ONLY side mounted facing lights.  Hide-a-ways and mirror beams are not sufficient side warning.  Their primary warning purposes are forward based, with side or off angle being secondary. 

Reactions: TritonBoulder47

bburnette252

Aug 19, 2013
TN
It is of my opinion that intersection warning is ONLY side mounted facing lights. Hide-a-ways and mirror beams are not sufficient side warning. Their primary warning purposes are forward based, with side or off angle being secondary.
Thanks, my plan is the cannon in the back. Primarily for rear warning. Then possibly a SOS intersector for side warning. No plans set in stone just yet
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412352511.370667.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.