Ford Interceptor Utility - Power for fulls size bar

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
I'll be upfitting a 2015 Ford PIU shortly and will be putting a full size bar on it. My question is, how is everyone hooking up power for those bars? I've seen many upfitters run the power for those from the rear power takeoff. I know the rear power takeoff is 80 amps. I know many bars call for 40-50 amp fusing and I've seen many upfitters use the rear power takeoff for them.

So with that logic, with my feniex bar (fused 40 amps per manufacturer specs) and siren (fused at 30 amps per manufacturer specs) I'm at 70 amps, plus I gotta run about 13-15 amps worth of perimeter lighting, that puts me well over. I've also gotta run 4 radios, 2 in front and 2 in back, which I've decided to run off the front console 34amp power takeoffs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
Keep in mind that in addition to the three 40A battery positive circuits in the I/P tunnel you have two 20A battery positive and one 15A battery positive circuits in the 14-pin connector. There also are two 20A circuits that are hot when the ignition is in the "on" position along with a 15A accessory delay circuit.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
I totally forgot about those extra power takeoffs in the 14pin connector. I may use one of the 40 amp takeoffs for the lightbar, and save me the extra power in the rear power take off for other stuff.

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
I would cap off any wires you are not using in the 14-pin connector. The last thing you want is one of the B+ wires to touch the VSS wire or drivers door ajar wire and fry something.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Here's a dumb question, but would make life kinda easy. Similar to how Ford has the rear power take off wired from 2 50amp fuses from the battery (as they state in the upfitters manual), could I theoretically combine the 3 40amp powers to a 100amp circuit breaker and then the power and ground to a blue sea systems power/ground fuse block and use for additional circuits? Then I could have 80amps in the rear to use and 100 amps up front to use as I see fit? Just a thought.

I'm assuming the answer is big NO, but worth a shot though. :/

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.