Ford Lighting Packages

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
Admins, sorry if this is in the wrong spot but not sure where it goes.

I'm curious if those ordering Ford PIUs have the option with their packages to chose all Whelen lighting? We ordered two and they came with all Whelen except the inner and outer edges. Those were SOS. Those that order at my department said they didn't see anything specific to Whelen. I told them I'm pretty sure Ford works with the big lighting companies and you can chose what you want. Is this correct? I can't imagine someone who has used one manufacturer for eons to chose another just because that's the way it is. Any tips I can pass on so they order correctly next time? I'm pitching Carbide and want all Whelen lighting to keep it simple...we've also used Whelen exclusively for 15 years.

Let me know how it works and anything I can pass on.

Thanks.

dcb

May 21, 2010
Lexington, Fayette Co, KY
When you order a lighting package, you are ordering a "Ford" lighting package that will be manufactured by whomever Ford chooses for that part. For the current models, their suppliers are Whelen or SoS, and the selected components will have a Ford part number, Ford specified connectors, Ford programming, etc. -- essentially special models that are available only to Ford.

They also do some unusual things. For example, IIRC the ILB option is configured with both red and blue, so the dealer can select the colors at delivery. They will not offer an exterior bar because it makes it difficult to load on a car hauler. I dont think the Carbide will be an option anytime soon.

In the past, you could order an upfit with various equipment you specified thru Crown, but that is different than the factory options offered thru the Chicago plant.

Hope that helps clarify things a little.

Last edited:

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
So what I'm doing with my agency builds with Carbide, is I'm ordering the PIUs with all the factory lighting except the SOS interior bar and rear spoiler bar. The front bar isn't DUO and both obviously won't work with the Carbide.

The way I pitched it was, all that lighting is the same across the board. Whether the vehicle is marked w/light bar, marked slicktop, or unmarked. Much easier to budget if every vehicle you order is the exact same thing.

Then when I get them, I either put a Liberty II on top for marked w/ lightbar, a WECAN front Inner Edge and (6) DUO Ions on a spoiler mount for marked slicktop, or WECAN front and rear Inner Edges for unmarked. I also remove the factory rear hatch window IONs and mount them to either side of the lip above the license plate.

So, short answer; no, can not order a Whelen front and rear bar.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Your preferred options/components/colors might be available as VSOs, but your dealer has to submit the request(s) for approval.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
Ok thanks guys this helps a lot. I figured since a majority of the lighting is whelen then Ford would offer inner front and rear edges in whelen. Guess not.

This helps though, gonna move forward with this.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.