FORD PIU

Discussion in 'All About Installing Emergency Equipment' started by CHIEFOPS, Sep 13, 2017.

1. CHIEFOPS

CHIEFOPS Senior Member

Is there a ground stud in the rear cargo area of the 2017 PIU? If not, is there a recommended connection point?

2. ryan

ryan Premium Member Gold Level Member

There is but it is up high passenger side below the rear side window.

3. CHIEFOPS

CHIEFOPS Senior Member

So I'd have to remove all the right side trim to access it?

4. buddek09

buddek09 Premium Member Silver Level Member

Unfortunately that is the only grounding point Ford recommends. Now they also have one behind the rear seats where the rear power access is at too. It use to be under the rear window but I'd say they had some complaints with where it was and they moved it. The green circle is where the ground point is in the pillar that Ryan referred too. You might be able to get away with just pulling the top of the lower panel back to access it instead of removing the whole panel.

Attached Files:

Tony P likes this.
  5. CHIEFOPS

CHIEFOPS Senior Member

I didn't notice a ground stud near the hot stud behind the seat when I was down there, can you elaborate?

6. buddek09

Maybe it's only on some options but all the Utility's I've worked on since the power point was moved to behind the rear seats has had a ground post. It's just a simple metal bracket that's bolted in where the rear brace comes down to tie in by the passenger rear seat mount. It comes up and then does a 90 and then has a stud in the center of it. I don't have a picture unfortunately.

7. CHIEFOPS

CHIEFOPS Senior Member

It's readily visible or do I have to move the foam filler piece?

8. buddek09

It is visible, it would be in front of the foam even with the rear seat bolts on the passenger side. I usually have to bend it out of the way a little to get the seat back in because the feet want to get caught in it.