FORD PIU

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Is there a ground stud in the rear cargo area of the 2017 PIU? If not, is there a recommended connection point?

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
There is but it is up high passenger side below the rear side window.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Unfortunately that is the only grounding point Ford recommends. Now they also have one behind the rear seats where the rear power access is at too. It use to be under the rear window but I'd say they had some complaints with where it was and they moved it. The green circle is where the ground point is in the pillar that Ryan referred too. You might be able to get away with just pulling the top of the lower panel back to access it instead of removing the whole panel.

Attachments

• rear ground.png
    rear ground.png
    300.3 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Tony P

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I didn't notice a ground stud near the hot stud behind the seat when I was down there, can you elaborate?

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Maybe it's only on some options but all the Utility's I've worked on since the power point was moved to behind the rear seats has had a ground post. It's just a simple metal bracket that's bolted in where the rear brace comes down to tie in by the passenger rear seat mount. It comes up and then does a 90 and then has a stud in the center of it. I don't have a picture unfortunately.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
It is visible, it would be in front of the foam even with the rear seat bolts on the passenger side. I usually have to bend it out of the way a little to get the seat back in because the feet want to get caught in it.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I went back looking for that ground stud, removed the forward cargo floor section again, short of carving up the foam filler and/or removing the rear passenger seat base I can't find evidence of a ground stud.

Which leads me to another question- does anyone know if the rear seats can be modified to tumble forward like the retail explorer seats?

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
The stud is part of the rear seat steel and is found on the ready for the road packages and not any of the other ones to my knowledge.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Ok, my PIU does have that rear seat bracket ground stud, will connect to that over the weekend, thanks.
Does anyone know if the rear seats can be made to tumble fwd like the retail Explorer seats?

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Glad you found the rear seat bracket ground stud. No, their is no way to make them tilt forward unless you unbolt the rear and side of the seats every time. The front mounting brackets are the only thing that's the same on the seats. The rear mounting brackets are completely different. The Explorers with the tilt seats have strikers in the floor that the seats latch too. You would have to get the Explorer seats and the strikers. I'm not sure how the outer strikers mount but in order to mount the center ones the metal plate that's under the seats would have to be removed. This means that you would loose part of the rear bracing that gives the Utility its 75mph rear end crash rating.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.