Ford Police Responder Hybrid Sedan

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Ford announced a new police vehicle today. Built from the Ford Fusion, it will be the first Pursuit-Rated Hybrid.

Purpose-built for the police duty cycle, the Police Responder Hybrid Sedan’s hybrid powertrain can offer significant potential fuel savings compared to traditional police cruisers. Its lithium-ion hybrid battery can also provide added benefits when considering the unique idling demands of day-to-day police use. See just how these potential savings can benefit your community by using this convenient calculator.

https://www.ford.com/fordpoliceresponder/

Reactions: StEaLtH2

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I'm not the biggest fan of the concept for patrol. In theory, it "sounds" good to have a hybrid SSV option, but I wouldn't want to be the officer assigned to a 188 HP "pursuit-rated" responder for patrol use. I'm sure the acceleration* isn't remarkable, as with any vehicle or truck in an eco mode, and I question the handling during aggressive driving (*yes, I know that this may not be as crucial to the specs of depts in some large, urban, grid-locked areas, compared to others, but I personally would want my officers to have every available option at their disposal, instead of giving them reduced functionality). I also don't like this type of gear-shifter being utilized in an EV, b/c I to be a little more confident that my vehicle is in park as I arrive on scene (as I would with a traditional shifter), instead of having some doubt and wondering where the arrow on the gear knob is pointing or wondering if my belt possibly bumped it.

However, I can see the uses of this as a fire/LE ADMIN type of vehicle (ie chiefs, detectives, investigators, etc) that don't respond code 3 often as a more eco-friendly alternative to the "non-pursuit" rated Special Service Police NGPI sedan that Ford offers, since it does offer some advantages over the civi fusions and civi taurus that many agencies currently use in this capacity (ie upfit friendly)

Last edited:

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
I fully agree pdk9, when I first came across the link, I saw it was the Fusion, my mind instantly went to the same idea of non-patrol type vehicle. I feel like it was only a matter of time before they brought the Fusion into the police line-up. Around here everyone hates the Interceptor Sedan, and their non-patrol cars, ie detective's cars, are pursuit rated just in case for some reason it would need to be used as a patrol car.

I also don't like that they're using a rotary gear shifter, especially the one in the center console. I'm not sure how easy it would be but if you mounted the mic too close to the knob, depending on how the officer grabs the mic, they could inadvertently change gears. Not to mention another point of failure and some of the issues that have already come up with rotary gear shifters. At the same time it's only a concept car at this time and looks like it's not slated for release until at least summer of 2018, because it won't be added until the 2019 model year.

Reactions: FCV96

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
If they add the same heavy duty ingredients as they do the PI vehicles that separate them from regular retail vehicles and change to a column shifter I'm all for it but wish they were at least the same size as the PI sedan. I'd really like to see the Crown Vic return on the new Lincoln Continental platform.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I would love to see the crown vic (or a similar body on frame) come back too! Those were built like tanks, but I think all the big manufacturers are focusing on fuel economy and lighter materials to compete with one another in the SSV/PPV sedan market.

Reactions: FCV96

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
As I understand it the new Continental is a stretched Taurus, so there's no real reason with all the available Ford powertrains why different sheet metal and interior couldn't be called a Crown Victoria.

13TTPP

Feb 11, 2016
San Antonio, Tx
The Taurus is too small for anyone 6' or above as it is, the Fusion is smaller still. Ford should just add a hybrid power train to the existing platform if they want to make a viable car for special service applications Coming from a 6'5" sedan owner, the only way my car is livable is the lack of a cage.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
....Ford should just add a hybrid power train to the existing platform if they want to make a viable car for special service applications....

That's coming next year
CORRECTION- previously announced in January, "by 2020"

Last edited:

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
The Fusions are rather narrow and can be cramped when filled with equipment from what I've seen. I don't like that the rotary knob shifter appears to be staying - they're a pain to use without staring directly at and, depending upon the mounting location of surrounding equipment, may be obstructed.

Add in a column shifter and use it for light duty only (like that limitation will ever happen when it's the only car available at that moment) and it's not a bad idea.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
I have a 2016 Sedan as an unmarked detectives vehicle and I LOVE this thing. a reasonably priced hybrid would be a great option, in my opinion. I'm 6-04 and don't think I would like to be in one of these things with a gunbelt on... but that's not a problem I have to contend with at the moment!

A Fusion wouldn't seem terrible as an admin/detective's vehicle either, but my department currently only buys pursuit rated vehicles for a primary vehicle for any officer.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I fully agree pdk9, when I first came across the link, I saw it was the Fusion, my mind instantly went to the same idea of non-patrol type vehicle. I feel like it was only a matter of time before they brought the Fusion into the police line-up. Around here everyone hates the Interceptor Sedan, and their non-patrol cars, ie detective's cars, are pursuit rated just in case for some reason it would need to be used as a patrol car.

I also don't like that they're using a rotary gear shifter, especially the one in the center console. I'm not sure how easy it would be but if you mounted the mic too close to the knob, depending on how the officer grabs the mic, they could inadvertently change gears. Not to mention another point of failure and some of the issues that have already come up with rotary gear shifters. At the same time it's only a concept car at this time and looks like it's not slated for release until at least summer of 2018, because it won't be added until the 2019 model year.

Looks like the factory location of the rotary shifter is the lower center stack and it can be relocated to what's presumably a Havis console in the photo. If they insist on keeping the rotary knob (they don't have to- we know it's electronic, they can integrate a traditionally positioned gear shift lever anywhere) they should at least position it to the top left of the center stack.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Give one to Michigan State Police and let's see how it does when they run it through the ringer.

"It won its world-first “pursuit-rated” stripes in testing by Michigan State Police and the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department, Ford said in announcing the new vehicle."-

Copyright 2017 Los Angeles Times

Reactions: Tony P

Krsdog25

Apr 30, 2012
NJ
That is such nonsense, it's not like there are universal set standards to be "pursuit rated". MSP doesn't hold a ceremony where they hereby bless this Ford to be "pursuit rated" it's a title given by the manufacturer.

I'd like to see Ford post the results next to those of all the other candidates.

Last edited:

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
That is such nonsense, it's not like there are universal set standards to be "pursuit rated". MSP doesn't hold a ceremony where they hereby bless this Ford to be "pursuit rated" it's a title given by the manufacturer.

I'd like to see Ford post the results next to those of all the other candidates.

You got me thinking, I follow the MSP vehicle testing results and didn't remember any mention of hybrid vehicles in the 2017 MY tests, only the Ford 2.0L SSP sedan so I double-checked and verified, there's no hint of a hybrid police vehicle presented for testing.
I don't know how Ford makes the claim cited in the LA Times article.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.