(FORD) WHELEN VERTEX VTX609K & ION I2F WIRING

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
It's my understanding that Ford uses these 2 lightheads with these part numbers for their "pocket warning lamp" p/t/w lights and "side warning" lights in the PIU.

The p/t/w would operate primarily in amber and then in the emergency color flashing mode, the side warning light would operate primarily in amber turn signal and then in the emergency white flashing mode.

Does anyone know how they are programmed/wired to do that, the install instructions on the Whelen website don't address two modes and how one overides the other.
I know in "normal" mode they'd each be programmed to steady burn and tied into the vehicles turn signal circuit, but I don't understand how a second flash pattern is programmed and then activated in "emergency" mode.

Last edited:

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I checked that part number and parts diagram.... that's a sedan part #, not a utility part, and it looked to me like the harness only, no bulb and no flasher.
What I need is the dual color twist-lock, amber/red, amber performing the park/turn/hazard and red "emergency" overriding the amber.

Apr 14, 2011
PG county MD
Trust me when i say you dont want them. You can buy them from ford but they only offer a 3 year warranty, You have to buy the bulbs and the flasher. and hope that you have the pre installed wire pkg from ford. They Brake and get water damage fairly Easy. If you are looking to do some thing like that i would use Fenix cannons. They work great for what your trying to do. I have installed 100 for the whelen in the past 3 years and the old generation ones for the crown vic as well. I am a die hard whelen fan but Fenix is the way to go for the money, time and effort. But at the end of the day you still want them i can provide you with the pin out for the flasher and location of all of the other misc wires you will need.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I took delivery of the PIU early June and we went with the Cannons and Ions instead of the Ford Factory option. It was significantly cheaper and accomplished the same effect. Interestingly the ramp up time for the Cannons are a millisecond slower than the Ions in the turn/hazard mode but overall it's insignificant.

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
going to wake this thred up for those needing to or wanting to understand the ford P/T/W modules as i currently run a set in my vehicle (retrofitted into non ford vehicle) these modules are essentually 2 sepret lights rolled into one it takes the place of the stock turn signal bulb amber chips for turn and park lights white for warn white is priority override over amber (turn signal and park lights shut off when warn is on if retrofitting to a non equipped vehicle or non ford vehicle you will need a 5 pin relay to swap the negitives when warning is on or it will backfeed the flasher and steadyburn these will require a turn signal resistor like any after market led bulbs do for fords with these as an option you will need to have the ECM flashed to accept the modules or add the relay and resistor to each one to prevent steady burning of the white

i hope this info is useful the modules are extreemly useful and very bright but can be interesting to get working correctly

Reactions: Tony P

Joeys542

Mar 30, 2021
SE, USA
going to wake this thred up for those needing to or wanting to understand the ford P/T/W modules as i currently run a set in my vehicle (retrofitted into non ford vehicle) these modules are essentually 2 sepret lights rolled into one it takes the place of the stock turn signal bulb amber chips for turn and park lights white for warn white is priority override over amber (turn signal and park lights shut off when warn is on if retrofitting to a non equipped vehicle or non ford vehicle you will need a 5 pin relay to swap the negitives when warning is on or it will backfeed the flasher and steadyburn these will require a turn signal resistor like any after market led bulbs do for fords with these as an option you will need to have the ECM flashed to accept the modules or add the relay and resistor to each one to prevent steady burning of the white

i hope this info is useful the modules are extreemly useful and very bright but can be interesting to get working correctly
Are you stating it's a negative activation on the warning mode?

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
These modules have a sepret positive (white wire) and a negative wire the turn has the yellow wire the park has the brown wire the modules have 2 connectors one with a white and black thats warning the 3 pin with yellow brown and black are the turn and park light the black wire from the warning and the black wire from the turn can't be hooked up at the same time or the warning will steady burn and flicker you'll need a relay for each one with a pins that are on when relay is not energized and a pin thats connected when energized (standard 5 pin relays worked fine) this will stop the steady burning issues and will work as they do in the original vehicle they were made for hook the pin 85 of each relay to ground and hook pin 86 to the flashers positive so the relays trigger when you turn on your warning lights these modules are designed to kill turn and park lights when in warn mode you will also need resistors hooked to your turn signal positive (yellow) to the negative (black) to stop hyper flashing wire them so the relays don't cut them out that way your rear turn signals will flash at normal speed

I hope this helps :)

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
No can you do that a lil slower in english I got blinded by the colors of the wires and had to look away and lost my train of thought....

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
The modules are positive switched negative on each connector is connected to each other not directly but will backfeed each other causing steady burning in warning mode

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
Update to use the Ford PTWs to drive the modules you have to have a positive switching flasher or they will steady burn I used a ULF22 flasher to drive 2 relays one on each channel this runs the modules as normal I hope this helps out those who are having a hard time with these modules

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.