Four SXTDLED super takedowns in a Liberty

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
I ordered my WeCan Liberty with a set of SXTDLED super TIR takedowns in both the front and the rear to be used as work lights. They're extremely bright but don't have a lot of spread to them which is my only real complaint. A fluted lens or adjustability would improve them as work lights. They put LR11s to complete shame.

Given that I had space in the front for an extra set of lightheads and I don't need a lot of warning power, I got another SXTDLED kit from Retired1 on the board here. I had rwo978 make me some Y-harnesses to tie them into the existing takedown wiring so they'd come on with the primary takedowns. I could have added them to the WeCan board but the software won't let you configure it that way and I don't need independent control of them. These things are WAAAY too bright to be used as flashers even in broad daylight.

Install was very easy even though I'd never worked on a Liberty before, let alone a WeCan bar. Terry's (Retired1) instruction thread here made it very simple.

Lenses stripped off the bar:

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Truck_IMG_4162.jpg

Corner modules removed and rest of the modules being slid out:

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Truck_IMG_4163.jpg

Interior view:

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Truck_IMG_4164.jpg

WeCan board, very different from other Whelen boards:

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Truck_IMG_4165.jpg

Additional SXTDLEDs added:

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Truck_IMG_4166.jpg

Testing before reassembly:

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Truck_IMG_4168.jpg

Finished product:

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_Truck_IMG_4170.jpg

Light output is nothing short of phenominal. At night I can just make out trees at a kilometer or more and anything within a few hundred meters is easily discernable. Combined with Silverstar headlights and fog lights there's very little I can't see, which in my line of work is very critical. I combine this with additional scene lighting to round out the package.

I've tried getting night shots but the auto iris on most cameras just clams up and doesn't give a really good representation of how bright these really are.

Reactions: Storm4200

jluisi86

Jul 12, 2010
Poconos, PA
Nice set-up! They are a night and day difference going the LR11s to the SXTDLED like i did. They are almost to bright at night to respond with but i use them most of the time still! Great warning and scene lighting in one, could only imagine what four do.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
That is DISGUSTING.................

......LY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hail: :hail:

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
Solvarex said:

Light output is nothing short of phenominal. At night I can just make out trees at a kilometer or more and anything within a few hundred meters is easily discernable. Combined with Silverstar headlights and fog lights there's very little I can't see, which in my line of work is very critical. I combine this with additional scene lighting to round out the package.

I've tried getting night shots but the auto iris on most cameras just clams up and doesn't give a really good representation of how bright these really are.

Now you just need a pair of LR11's to slide in between the corner module and LIN-6!

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
We sold quite a few of these to a board member, just a couple of weeks ago. I believe he's been quite impressed with them, as well. Good looking build!

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Thanks guys!

Yes I've considered adding LR11s between the corners and LIN6s, but honestly I wonder if it would be worthwhile with the amount of light the SXTDLEDs already put out. I could see them being beneficial if I could angle them outwards for a little more side spill. The SXTDLEDs are very directional so a bit more side light would be welcome, but honestly for the amount of money another pair of LR11s plus the special kit would cost me, I think I'd be better served with a push bumper or back rack and some Micro Pioneers. I have LR11s in the alleys and they're decent but I'm pretty spoiled with what's up front now.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
It has been FOUR DAYS and still NO video, what is going on. Are you feeling ill and don't have the strength to make a nice video... I hope you feel better soon because we must see a video of such sweetness!

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
I saw a custom Liberty at Whelen's NH factory that had four of the Super High Intensity Takedowns as well as a pair of LR11s. Looks great! :thumbsup:

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
I also wonder how four of these stand up against,say, a feniex lightbar or the other white led sticks out there

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Ok ok I'll see what I can do. Been too busy to make videos and I don't want to do it in the driveway, the neighbours would probably think the sun is rising early and head off to work.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
yea yea,holy thread revival

any chance you can take a pic from behind drivers door facing forward, first shot no light, second shot with headlights only, third with led takedowns only. Realy interested to see theses shots as Im considering doing the same with my bar, serious chunk of change though for two pair :undecided:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
That is sexy. Just think of all the damage you could do with lighting up a scene with those if u used them to fill all the gaps on the NFPA Libby or (with some basic modifications) the NFPA freedom

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
First shot is low beams only, second is high beams only, third is lows with takedowns on. Obviously the darker it is the more effective and noticeable the takedowns are. Money well spent IMHO.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_IMG_0301.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_IMG_0302.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_IMG_0303.jpg

Some other comparison shots

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_IMG_0294.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_IMG_0295.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_IMG_0299.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y285_Solvarex_IMG_0300.jpg

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Solvarex, thank you so much for posting the pics. I recentely started an opinion thread , one of the options being a Lib with quad sxtdled's. this has helped alot

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Whelen recently came out with their Slimline Pioneer which looks simply like the SXTDLED module in an aluminum housing. Each panel is rated at 3,000 lumens. If my math is right I've got 12,000 lumens of front white light and 6,000 lumens rear in the bar alone!

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
Wow, that's definitely bright. Kind of look like you have one of those Rigid Industries light bar on top.

Have you thought about placed two of your take downs next to the outboard corner leds so that it would be outboard, TD, inboard, 2 TD, inboard, TD, outboard? Might get a bit of wider light dispersion.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
cybercop said:
Have you thought about placed two of your take downs next to the outboard corner leds so that it would be outboard, TD, inboard, 2 TD, inboard, TD, outboard? Might get a bit of wider light dispersion.
I considered that. However I doubt moving the modules over five inches will have any noticeable effect on the dispersion. Five inches at the bar is still only five inches at a distance unless you angle them, and then you are changing your beam width. Unfortunately the way these are constructed they can't be angled without hacking into the mounting plate. Easy to do but would probably void the warranty as I suspect the entire aluminum bracket is used to heatsink the LEDs.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Awesome setup. On the subject of these take downs, I wonder if it would be possible to either double stack these or combine a lin6 Liberty module and a SXTD module into one to fit in a Freedom?

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
acala91 said:
Awesome setup. On the subject of these take downs, I wonder if it would be possible to either double stack these or combine a lin6 Liberty module and a SXTD module into one to fit in a Freedom?
Whelen has a Freedom equivalent of this that is 18 LEDs per panel. I remember seeing a pair for sale on the board several months ago and wishing I could use them. Most frequently you'll see the dual LR11 option for Freedom bars which is probably adequate but looks totally cheesy on a bar that size.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.