Freezing air horn valve

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
I have a stutter tone on my POV and it has an 12v 1/4 solenoid valve to honk. It has frozen open on my once and I am scared to use it. What can I do to fix this? I have ordered a 12v silicone heating pad (10w) and have been looking at the inline desiccant traps. Any suggestions?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Sounds like you have a moisture problem. Best bet would be to take it out and try the bag of rice trick like people do for cell phones. Just be sure to cover the hose connections to keep them clear (drop it in a sock or wrap in a thin shop rag). While you're at it might check the rest of your air system for water (blow out lines, drain any air tanks). You could install an inline water trap if that doesn't solve the issue.

It could just be the ridiculous cold weather everyone has been getting hit with that caused it.

Reactions: Doyle257

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
@jhook and @Sparky_911

I went to the gettin place and bought a inline water trap, some brake line antifreeze and rice I have at home.

Where would be the best spot(s) to put the brake line antifreeze in addition to the holding tanks?

Where would be the best spot(s) to put the trap?

What are you thoughts on the heating pad?

Thanks guys.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Put the trap somewhere in the down stream line. Preferably between the tank outlet and before any fixtures/appliances (horn 'noid, air hose connection). If you get the 'noid working and use the anti freeze and it works then return the trap and save your $$.

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
@Sparky_911

I have done the all I can do. I got the trap for 10 bucks so I will keep it for reliability. That’s my main concern is to have my emergency equipment reliable.
All I need to do now is wait for the cold!
And my with my luck I will have to wait until next year to see if I fixed it! I will update as soon as the temp drops low!

Reactions: Sparky_911

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.