Ok so its not a light but i think its a good find for free

not sure why a Massachusetts plate would wind up in a loft of a old barn

DSC06995.jpg

So what do we think

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Great find!

These plates were reserved for non-profit organizations that could articulate that they offered some sort of emergency or humanitarian service to the people of the Commonwealth.

I've personally seen them on American Red Cross and Civil Air Patrol vehicles.

My understanding was that this plate / registration alone allowed the vehicle to display a flashing Red light without a specific Red Light Permit being issued.

Don't see too many of these plates any more...

::EDIT::

Well, I was a little off. Straight from the horses mouth:

Ch 90 Sec 7I

General Laws: CHAPTER 90, Section 7I

Section 7I. Special purpose motor vehicles and trailers, the property of and registered to charitable corporations, specifically assigned to the emergency disaster services of those organizations, and used for the benefit of firemen, policemen, civil defense workers and victims of fires and disasters, shall be furnished, without charge, by the registrar at his office, a number plate of the type and design furnished to ambulances, fire engines and fire apparatus. Such emergency disaster service vehicles may be equipped with sirens or other audible warning devices and with visible warning devices as provided in section seven E. Such audible and visible warning devices may be used by the vehicle operator only when responding to an official alarm of fire or disaster and at no other time. Every such emergency disaster service motor vehicle shall be marked, on a part of the vehicle not readily removable, and in a conspicuous place, with the insignia of the corporation and with words identifying the vehicle as an emergency disaster service unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 12, 2012
NC / TN / CT / SD
wow thanks for the info seems like a piece of history

and to reply to the pm's ive received i will be sure to let everyone know if im gonna sell it

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
CrystalCoastUpfitters said:
wow thanks for the info seems like a piece of history

and to reply to the pm's ive received i will be sure to let everyone know if im gonna sell it

Haha. I wondered how many people were going to try to buy it off of you.

;)

The most recent iteration of this plate was the Central Massachusetts Public Safety Assn... which was a guy in Central Mass that started his own responder group. He declared himself "chief" of the department and drove around in his "chief's vehicle." The orginization met the requirements for these plates and used them to outfit a "fleet" of emergency vehicles and what-not. Then they started volunteering their services (read: "Self dispatching") at public events and SAR missions.

Got heated and ugly for a while, and the Mass State Police took notice... The registry eventually ended up pulling his plates.

Freitas case to be heard - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com

I presume the registry is still issuing these plates, but I haven't seen them in a while. (Most agencies that were getting them don't want the liability of running Red lights and sirens anymore, so they are going to just standard registrations over the "Disaster Vehicle" ones)

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
JohnMarcson said:
By the third paragraph anyone in emergency services can just picture these people... somehow they have numerous contacts with with law enforcement and it's never their fault...

Yeah, like I said, it got real ugly. No *actual* agency wanted them around, but they declared themselves to have ultimate jurisdiction throughout the state. That article is about the panty twist that ensued when the actual motor vehicle registrar personally wrote letters to revoke their disaster plates (after Uxbridge PD Chief brought the issue to her attention).

Eventually a Trooper pulled over one of the guys in Springfield MA. The guy flashed a fake badge and declared that he was with Homeland Security.

The whole gang, and especially the leader, were whackers extraordinaire.

Apr 12, 2012
NC / TN / CT / SD
ok so a new page in the mystery of this plate

thanks to member Zack

So, it appears that the plate is still active and registered to an American Red Cross chapter in Massachusetts.

this is amazing to me as i found it in a barn

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
CrystalCoastUpfitters said:
ok so a new page in the mystery of this plate

thanks to member Zack

So, it appears that the plate is still active and registered to an American Red Cross chapter in Massachusetts.

this is amazing to me as i found it in a barn

Yeah... a little bird told me that it may have come off of a trailer... or perhaps this is the orphaned half of the dual plates that were issued... one being still on the trailer and the other hold up in the barn trying to hide from the authorities.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.