Full length Liberty bar from a 12v

emp_ming

Sep 4, 2010
England
Hi All,

It is possible to run a full length liberty (13 different heads) off of a 12 volt cigarette lighter? If its just a wire, can you plug it in a go? No need for any external flasher/control unit?

We have an officers car at work that is unmarked with a little LED light bar (Ecco thing) mounted on a roof rack and find that unsurprisingly people don't see us. The service is due to decommission some old response cars and I'm planning on putting an application in to have one of the old liberty bars and simply replace the small one. I'll need to know what I'm talking about though! Including things like amp draw etc (just to blind them with science!!)

I understand the ally and rear red lights will need separate switching, but I presume there are additional wire cores in the main external power loom for that??

As its a lease car, fleet management are reluctant....that being said, there are holes in it already from basic rocker switches and the additional 12v socket the current bar is fed from!!

Thanks. Happy New Year to you all, families and colleagues....for those working, stay safe! My 1st entire new year off in 8 yrs!!

Cheers.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I'm sorry to say, it is not safe to run a Liberty off a cigar plug. You would blow the cigar fuse instantly and potentially start a electrical fire. Just too much amperage draw.

On average liberty heads draw about an amp a piece... so for your lightbar say 15amps and that maybe on the light side depending upon the type of heads in the liberty. Most liberties have a 8 gauge power wire going to them. Your cigar plug is probably fused between 5-10 amps and the gauge wire running to that cigar plug maybe 16 if your lucky.

You will never go wrong by doing an install correctly.

Good Luck,

Seth

Jake Duda

May 19, 2013
Columbia, SC
I agree, safety is key, and nothing beats a proper install.

Each module of a liberty bar will pull 1/2 amp of power at steady burn, and less during a flash sequence. If you have thirteen heads, at full steady burn will pull average of 6 1/2 amps. Takedown and alley lights if LR11's are closer to an amp a head, so calculate to flavor.

The liberty has a 10 gauge power and ground wire for handling any kind of module you throw at it, such as halogen td/alley, pioneer upgrades, etc. Plus to account for wire length and current drop across it.

For a demo purpose, I have indeed run a bar off of a plug like you mentioned, however it was in a static environment on a stationary vehicle, or demo bench. Once you put that vehicle in motion, however, the plug will not make as firm a connection to power as would a properly secured terminal, and in such case, will have a larger voltage drop, increased resistance, and in turn, potentially start to heat up. We've all had phone chargers that we continually need to re-seat in the outlet, and this is what will cause issues when trying to use this method as a permanent solution.

In short, will it work? Probably if all of the variables are in range. Would I? Absolutely not.

My two cents

Happy building!

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
This is why you don't lease fleet cars, but that's another topic for another time.

The Liberty uses one big power wire and low-current switching for all functions. You need to be able to provide enough power on the main power wire to run all of the functions - including TD/AL, etc. No, a cigarette lighter plug is NOT the right answer for this application. Tell your fleet management people to grow a pair and drill a hole.

You said the bar will be on a roof rack... is this a truck? You could actually go down between the cab and bed, along the frame, and back up to the battery... not the cleanest way, but do-able.

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
I got heavy guage lighter cords rated for 18 amps and have a 15 amp fuse. I got a 12 strobe tomar bar on a heavy cord and it doesnt blow either plug or car 15 amp fuse. It gets warm but not hot after 6-8 hours. Im not sure if a liberty draw more than a heliobe or 2 rotaator 4 strobe turbobeam

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
I also have ran a 48" liberty on a cigar plug. Fully loaded with halogen. Td and ally. The receptacle is usually between 15-20amps fused. The led heads only draw about 3/4 of an amp. Amp a piece for the corners. Ditch the ally and takedown ability and you will be far within the safe range at 11.5 amps.

emp_ming

Sep 4, 2010
England
Thanks for the replies.

Bit mixed views!!

What if I were to epremove some of the heads? From 13 to 11? Binned the alley lights?

To be clearer, I'm not 100% what fuse and gauge wire is supplying the current additional cigarette plug that the light bar is on. Infact its a DIN plug that is linked to the siren (alpha through the horn) and 2 grill TIR 3's, that all activate through a rocker switch. 2 other rocker switches power a pair of red blue dominators a in the rear and the other a HLF.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
emp_ming said:
Thanks for the replies.

Bit mixed views!!

What if I were to epremove some of the heads? From 13 to 11? Binned the alley lights?

To be clearer, I'm not 100% what fuse and gauge wire is supplying the current additional cigarette plug that the light bar is on. Infact its a DIN plug that is linked to the siren (alpha through the horn) and 2 grill TIR 3's, that all activate through a rocker switch. 2 other rocker switches power a pair of red blue dominators a in the rear and the other a HLF.

Regardless of what some other opinions are, you will be hard pressed to find a PROFESSIONAL upfitter who would go against manufacturer recommendations for a specific product. The fact is, running a liberty off a cigar plug is unsafe for anyone.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
im just saying, the other day, i ran an 8-head ArrowStick, a full InnerEdge, and 4 Cannons off of a 12v cordless drill battery. lol

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
For the sake of embarrassment later, just don't do it. Because we are a ruthless bunch on here, and we will rag you bad if we see a video of it. :haha:

emp_ming

Sep 4, 2010
England
Thanks all.

I'm not sure what to do yet. I'm sure I'll update you if anything happens....but knowing the fleet people, probably nothing!

Stay safe.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy_adams

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.