Funny vanity license plates

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
rwo978 said:
"POL1CE"

I stopped this one last night fully planning on seeing a fellow LEO. A neighboring city has some unmarked vehicles for traffic, but have these plates, so I was assuming it was a new vehicle I'd never seen before. This was on a dark pickup. If it wasn't legit, I thought the plates might have also been taken off a real LEO car as a 'joke'. I lit it up and walked up there.... paused...... noticed the "1" vs the "I" and then saw the driver, a younger kid. Told them I'd stopped them for the plates and it probably wouldn't be the last time they were ever stopped. They said they'd had the plates for several months and that the DOT/DMV 'approved' the plate beforehand. I let them on their way soon after. But...

I pulled a call for service to enter comments for the traffic stop (we don't normally do this). Admin was going to check with the DOT/DMV. I articulated that the general public, from a distance, might mistake the "1" for an "I" as I did and think that the vehicle was and LEO vehicle. I made the argument of impersonation.

Why, or why???? Some people's thinking...

I'd get my ASS chewed for pulling that over. My brass would not think that would be enough to effect a stop, and I kind of would side with that as well. I can get a return on running a plate in 20 seconds or less, and thats over the radio. So, in 20 seconds, I would know its a valid plate, returning on the vehicle its attached to. No reason to stop it.

I wouldn't doubt though, that the kid knows other "unmarked" units have plates made to look like standard state issued plates, but with "POLICE", and was trying to get a plate that looks the same, to not get stopped for breaking traffic laws. All the more reason to watch for him, and be sure to cite him for anything and everything!

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
rwo978 said:
"POL1CE"

I stopped this one last night fully planning on seeing a fellow LEO. A neighboring city has some unmarked vehicles for traffic, but have these plates, so I was assuming it was a new vehicle I'd never seen before. This was on a dark pickup. If it wasn't legit, I thought the plates might have also been taken off a real LEO car as a 'joke'. I lit it up and walked up there.... paused...... noticed the "1" vs the "I" and then saw the driver, a younger kid. Told them I'd stopped them for the plates and it probably wouldn't be the last time they were ever stopped. They said they'd had the plates for several months and that the DOT/DMV 'approved' the plate beforehand. I let them on their way soon after. But...

I pulled a call for service to enter comments for the traffic stop (we don't normally do this). Admin was going to check with the DOT/DMV. I articulated that the general public, from a distance, might mistake the "1" for an "I" as I did and think that the vehicle was and LEO vehicle. I made the argument of impersonation.

There is a guy here who drives around in a white ford with a Code 3 21TR lightbar and his place says "WHACKR" I get a kick out of it! He's a Volunteer for a town south of here though.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
rwo978 said:
"POL1CE"

If the STATE DMV approved it, there isnt much you can do. Personally, I cant see it as enough PC for a stop since its an approved item. If LEO's keep pulling it over, I see harassment complaints coming.

I guess its along the same thinking at ParkPiggy's post.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Conditions at time of stop. Dark, not well lit industrial area. Only caught a glimps of the front as it went by. U-turn to catch up. Rear plate partially covered with snow, and again, not well lit. I HONESTLY didn't see the "1" until I was approaching the car after I'd already stopped it and was walking up.

So, reasonable suspicion for the stop = unfamiliar vehicle displaying a thought-to-be "POLICE" plate... with me hoping it was something else/fellow LEO, but possibly thinking the plate might be 'stolen' from an actual marked squad.

I guess my admin must be different then and respect my discretion. All they said was they were going to check with the DOT/DMV about why it was issued. Nothing about "WTF did you do that for????" No 'ass reaming'.... nadda.

Jeez man, someone takes a little proactive approach to a possible imposter and gets the 5th degree. :rolleyes: :| I was mainly posting this as an 'interesting vanity plate', not for an incident breakdown.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
The problem is most special plates are approved by a computer that checks a database to see if it is available and if it's listed as obscene....

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I saw one today that said "CRPNGRL" on my way home from the chevy dealer!

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
RSNFNDR

NVST8R

Have been mine in the past. For those who don't know I am a Fire Investigator for Ohio.

I 26

Sep 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Does anyone see those plates going around where it's a 2 digit number, a 2 digit sports team acronym, and a 2 digit number? Example: "82TR93" (TR would mean Toronto Raptors, I know this because they're often accompanied with the team icon). Or are they just around here? And what do the numbers mean?

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
Michigan has an MIP law. Minor In Posession (alcohol). I had to run a plate the other night that was "MIP 4 ME"

Others:

"PEN 15" - Penis

"IH8U" - I Hate You

"RENTME" - I was hoping this was owned by a prostitute.

"LILMAMA" - Driven by a dude.

We also see a lot of Michigan State University plates. They normally look like this:

awww.michigan.gov_images_michigan_11784_7.jpg

We've seen:

S HOOTME

S POOGE

S EEXXYY

S TRONG

S WINGER

S TDFREE

S EMIHRD

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
this one is at my neighbor's house sometimes. Its the friend of his daughter

IM HIGH

Its the driver's last name

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I heard of someone who liked toffu and wanted this as their plate...ILUV2FU. I do not know if it was a hoex or not but it would be funny to see.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
FYI... heard back from admin, the DOT has revoked that plate and they have a week to get it back to them. I guess I'm not the only one who thought it wasn't appropriate.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
rwo978 said:
FYI... heard back from admin, the DOT has revoked that plate and they have a week to get it back to them. I guess I'm not the only one who thought it wasn't appropriate.

So are they going to issue his new plates for free since they screwed up?

A week doesnt seem to be sufficient enough time, given the mail volume this time of year and suppose the guy has to work during the hours the BMV is open?. A standard 30 days would be better.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
FireEMSPolice said:
So are they going to issue his new plates for free since they screwed up?
not sure, not my problem... I heard that there's basically a monkey sitting behind a computer dolling these out. I guess they can take it up with whatever employee issued the plate.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Hahaha, I find myself looking for the "like" button on here, too!

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
Last edited by a moderator:

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Last edited by mjMIff; Today at 12:47 AM. Reason: Ohio hurt my feelings..

LOL!!!

I too keep looking for the "like" button.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i dont have face book so i dont "like" nothing

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
My bosse's plate reades 369 pwm.Which first thing we thought of was 369 Pussy Wipped Man.....HaHaHa

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
ai.imgur.com_t0xw0.png

So I was at in the McDonalds drive-thru (which really misses me off, learn to spell "through"), and I noticed the guy in front of us had vanity plates. I did not however notice a certain sticker that explains it until a few seconds later, so needless to say the first thing I thought was the guy was a pedo. I thought it was hilarious so I told my brother to get a picture (the guy pulled off so I had to move up to pay).

Some people really don't think through their vanity plates before deciding on them...

ai.imgur.com_Zeoz3.jpg

See how long it takes you to find it.

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
I've been tempted to get SAMPLE, just to see how many queries I can rack up on it.

If I ever move to New Hampshire I'm going to get F U MASS.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
RL1 said:
I was going to get a plate that said '10-28' (state ten code for a license plate) but ended up getting a standard one... for now ;)

I had a plate like that for a few years, it was MY1028 and got cheap and stopped paying for it. Not sure if I can even get it back but would be funny to have.

gfpd26 said:
One of the local guys had "IAM1096" on his (I am mental).

I knew someone in Wisconsin back when I lived up there in the 90s that had that same plate. I thought it was pretty funny plate to have, or even "NO1099" as for no warrants.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Ipuvaepe said:
ai.imgur.com_t0xw0.png

So I was at in the McDonalds drive-thru (which really misses me off, learn to spell "through"), and I noticed the guy in front of us had vanity plates. I did not however notice a certain sticker that explains it until a few seconds later, so needless to say the first thing I thought was the guy was a pedo. I thought it was hilarious so I told my brother to get a picture (the guy pulled off so I had to move up to pay).

Some people really don't think through their vanity plates before deciding on them...

ai.imgur.com_Zeoz3.jpg

See how long it takes you to find it.

barely make it out

dallas cowboys?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Haven't seen this one in a while, but there used to be a chick toolin around town with "SCHLOPY" or something close to that. Ummmm, TMI?!?!?!? :puke: :puke:

city3f39

Jun 2, 2010
Vermont
I had "INCENDE" which is Incendie, (french for fire).

Now I have "CTYFD39" City fire dept #39.

Went to Funeral Directors college, and a friend had UNDRTKR.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.