Fusion Minibar Optics

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
So first, let me say I think the interchangeability of the Fusion lightheads is awesome. To have 40 and 180 degree optics, and single and dual color available all in the same sized lighthead and pretty close in price is awesome.

Unfortunately, it makes for a lot more options when spec'ing out a new product, especially the minibar. I was wondering if any dealers or anyone who has first hand experience with different configurations might be able to lend their thoughts. I'm back and forth between a couple different configurations:
  1. 40s to front and rear, 180s on sides
  2. 40s to rear, 180s on front and sides
  3. 180s all around
It would be going on a Jeep Cherokee for primarily rural responses (mostly two lane back roads and some 4-lane divided highway; generally longer responses with fewer intersections). However, I'm one of the primary folks for traffic control in our department, so I'll often be going direct to the scene and either staging back for advanced warning, or blocking traffic.

Given my particular use-case, and general knowledge of the Fusion, does anyone have thoughts about which configuration above (or maybe a completely different one) might be most effective?

CEVS

Jun 1, 2010
NJ
Honestly, it is a bit of personal preference. We have typically been doing 40 front/rear and 180's on the sides and are happy with this layout, as our people who have ordered this setup through us.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I've done both 40/180 both front and back and 180 on both sides.

Dual color all around.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
I did 40 front/rear 180 sides and have been happy. Thought behind it, 40 for long distance attention grabbing and 180 for a wide spread intersection clearing.

nickDPS

Apr 30, 2017
St. Louis, MO
not sure it this helps, we put 9 full 180 degree Mini bar on one of our demo trucks. Also, have a dual color 2X dash light also in 180°

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
So first, let me say I think the interchangeability of the Fusion lightheads is awesome. To have 40 and 180 degree optics, and single and dual color available all in the same sized lighthead and pretty close in price is awesome.

Unfortunately, it makes for a lot more options when spec'ing out a new product, especially the minibar. I was wondering if any dealers or anyone who has first hand experience with different configurations might be able to lend their thoughts. I'm back and forth between a couple different configurations:
  1. 40s to front and rear, 180s on sides
  2. 40s to rear, 180s on front and sides
  3. 180s all around
It would be going on a Jeep Cherokee for primarily rural responses (mostly two lane back roads and some 4-lane divided highway; generally longer responses with fewer intersections). However, I'm one of the primary folks for traffic control in our department, so I'll often be going direct to the scene and either staging back for advanced warning, or blocking traffic.

Given my particular use-case, and general knowledge of the Fusion, does anyone have thoughts about which configuration above (or maybe a completely different one) might be most effective?

I'm honestly a fan of 180/linear optics for all exterior-mounted perimeter warning and personally only recommend TIR/40 optics for behind grill and behind tint (i.e. Rear headliner) applications.
I prefer 180s for your application because youre not going to be parked directly in the center of the road at a 90 degree angle from incoming traffic, so you'll lose some punch of the TIR optic b/c it's intensity is centered head-on. If you go with a rear lightstick, you can maybe combine optics (i.e. 600 or 800 stick with the outer 4 modules being 180s and the inner modules being 40's) to get some added punch for distances on the hwy and get the best of both worlds. FHP (Florida) uses double stacked TAs with TIR optics on a single flash pattern (whole lightstick automatically engages as soon as vehicle shifted into park when lights are on) and that single flash pattern is very effective IMO b/c it's a slow, large footprint. I don't like how the effectiveness goes down when you get closer and are off-axis, but the TIR optic punches a good distance on straight hwys

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.